Alexis Lafreniere Or Jack Hughes?

Which player will be better going forward?

• Total voters

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Jack Hughes. Once he gets a better supporting cast and learns how to play the style he wants to as a smaller player, he’s going to be a lot more valuable than Lafreniere.

Reactions: uncleben

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Jack Hughes. Once he gets a better supporting cast and learns how to play the style he wants to as a smaller player, he’s going to be a lot more valuable than Lafreniere.
This argument doesn’t work.

Hughes gets some of the most absurdly favourable usage in the league (19 minutes a game, with 72% offensive zone starts and 3+ minutes of PP1). His most common linemate has been Kyle Palmieri.

Lafreniere is a year of hockey experience younger and started his first professional season without having played games for like 9 months. He’s averaged 12 minutes a game with 55% offensive zone starts and does not play on the powerplay. His most common linemates have been Chytil and Kakko.

And guess what? Their P/60 are identical.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lol, P/60 again.

Lafreniere is having a worse season than Hughes did last year and that's with having that dumb "most NHL ready prospect" moniker, being physically much more developed, and being only 5 months younger than Hughes (who by the way also didn't play hockey for 10 months before thus season).

Hughes tilts the ice every time he's on it, the points will come in bunches when NJ has any consistent finishers, not to mention the fact that Covid (which Hughes contracted) had them playing 4 games in 7 nights for the ENTIRE season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lol, P/60 again.

Lafreniere is having a worse season than Hughes did last year and that's with having that dumb "most NHL ready prospect" moniker, being physically much more developed, and being only 5 months younger than Hughes (who by the way also didn't play hockey for 10 months before thus season).

Hughes tilts the ice every time he's on it, the points will come in bunches when NJ has any consistent finishers, not to mention the fact that Covid (which Hughes contracted) had them playing 4 games in 7 nights for the ENTIRE season.

I thought Lafreniere was one of the most "NHL-ready" prospects this century. Certainly above Hughes. Disappointed in his season.

That being said, if you asked me 2 years ago prior to either player's draft, I'd pick Laf comfortably. Same prior to this season, and I've seen nothing yet to change my mind. So I pick Laf. Neither player has had a strong start to their career, but they're young, I'm sure they'll both bounce back and do great

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Yay. Another pissing match between Devils and Rangers fans about whose #1 will be better. Exactly what we need. Both #1s will be absolutely fantastic players for the next decade or two.

That being said, I don't think its really valid to imply that Hughes somehow benefited from playing with Palmieri. The two had absolutely 0 chemistry, and Palmieri himself has been absolutely abysmal this year and would pretty much kill any offense Hughes would generate when bringing the puck into the zone at 5v5. He was a huge dead weight.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yay. Another pissing match between Devils and Rangers fans about whose #1 will be better. Exactly what we need. Both #1s will be absolutely fantastic players for the next decade or two.

That being said, I don't think its really valid to imply that Hughes somehow benefited from playing with Palmieri. The two had absolutely 0 chemistry, and Palmieri himself has been absolutely abysmal this year and would pretty much kill any offense Hughes would generate when bringing the puck into the zone at 5v5. He was a huge dead weight.
12% of Lafrenière's production for the season came in his last game when he was put on a line with Buchnevich and Zibanejad, so.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Lafreniere is a rather easy pick for me. He looks better than Hughes did in his D+1 year and he was significantly more hyped as a 1st overall. More physical, bigger and better goalscoring ability are also factors to be considered. Hughes was spoonfeed PP minutes last season where as Lafreniere hasnt gotten a single PP point yet.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Hughes gets some of the most absurdly favourable usage in the league (19 minutes a game, with 72% offensive zone starts and 3+ minutes of PP1). His most common linemate has been Kyle Palmieri.

Lafreniere is a year of hockey experience younger and started his first professional season without having played games for like 9 months. He’s averaged 12 minutes a game with 55% offensive zone starts and does not play on the powerplay. His most common linemates have been Chytil and Kakko.

Chytil and Kakko are not bad line mates but having three players like that together and having them see Hajek/Johnson-Smith/Bitteto as their D pair is a recipe for disaster.

Incoming before we hear the only stat that matters is the one that shows Hughes is better than McDavid and Barzal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Rangers fan voting Hughes. I think Hughes will be a super star when he puts it together. He is an excellent skater.

Both Lafreniere and Kakko leave a lot to be desired in terms of skating and I think until they improve that [which is feasible looking at Tavares skating ability when he entered the league] they are going to struggle.

Its very close. I think both Hughes and Lafreniere will be very good but give Hughes a slight edge.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Before the season I'd have said Lafreniere. Now it's Hughes. Later it may become apparent it's Lafreniere.

Is Hughes the better choice here? Definitely maybe.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

No, he isn't lol. Laf's rookie season is on par with Hughes from last season if anything.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hughes is very, very good. So if you took him, I don't care.

All I'm gonna say is that Lafreniere didn't play a hockey game for 10 months and had 1 point in his first 15 games. Since then, he rates 107th in even strength points which is a high second liner.

His "bad season" boils down to: we had a f***ing pandemic, and his coach doesn't use him on the powerplay at all for no reason.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I think what Laf is doing this season with very minimal pp time is more impressive than Hughes last year. Both will be good, but obviously I'm gonna go for the guy my team has.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Hughes is very, very good. So if you took him, I don't care.

All I'm gonna say is that Lafreniere didn't play a hockey game for 10 months and had 1 point in his first 15 games. Since then, he rates 107th in even strength points which is a high second liner.

His "bad season" boils down to: we had a f***ing pandemic, and his coach doesn't use him on the powerplay at all for no reason.

Pretty much. Hughes getting first line minutes, PP1 minutes and like 20% more ozone starts plays a role.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
lol. the fued between Rangers and Devils fans is hilarious. No joke. Seeing you guys go back and forth is quite hilarious.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

Why doesn't my argument work? Your stats are pretty meaningless when I never mentioned why I thought Hughes is going to be the more valuable player, nor did I state Hughes wasn't getting the opportunity.

Reactions: Raian

Raian

Apr 19, 2021

Lafreniere is five months younger; theres no need to exaggerate things such as 'a year of hockey experience younger'.. thats not how that works

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad