Confirmed with Link: "Alexei Yashin Bobblehead Night" @SBP coming in 2017 (NAC donation not included)

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Daniel Alfredsson did not want to play for the Sens anymore at the end. And we did get nothing for him and he declined any trade before free agency, and he just walked away from the team. Yashin 's trade on the other hand was the best in franchise history. The guy approved it and went to the dismal Islanders. And arguably Yashin contributed to the franchise more then Alfredsson.

Mike Milbury did that, not Yashin. And nobody is about to paint Milbury on the side of our arena.

FYI: we still have Nick Paul and a couple of other pieces left. Paul wasn't even born until the end of Yashin's first holdout.

My dream after getting a 1st line center for a decade in Yashin, then another for a decade in Spezza... is that Paul or Gagne are somehow dealt for a high(er) pick, which we use to draft a #1 center that we have for a decade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No clue how somebody can honestly claim that Yashin (who demanded a raise for the final year of his contract, and when the team balked, he demanded a trade and held out for a year) approved a trade to the island (he had no ability to deny one, as he did not have a NTC or NMC after all). The guy tried to defect to the Swiss league and have his contract expire but was thwarted when the IIHF honored his NHL suspension, and an arbitrator forced him to honor the last year of his contract that he had yet to play. All this to gain his RFA status one year early...

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I still remember the press conference 'welcoming' him back after arbitrator told yahsin he needed to honor the contract. Was quite awkward.

Yashin's significance is I believe he was the very first draft pick ever for the senators, which is probably the main reason they're having a bobble head night. But dude was a massive jerk, that's for sure.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Daniel Alfredsson did not want to play for the Sens anymore at the end. And we did get nothing for him and he declined any trade before free agency, and he just walked away from the team. Yashin 's trade on the other hand was the best in franchise history. The guy approved it and went to the dismal Islanders. And arguably Yashin contributed to the franchise more then Alfredsson.

WHAT???:help: :rant:
please explain yourself?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I still remember the press conference 'welcoming' him back after arbitrator told yahsin he needed to honor the contract. Was quite awkward.

Yashin's significance is I believe he was the very first draft pick ever for the senators, which is probably the main reason they're having a bobble head night. But dude was a massive jerk, that's for sure.

I think he got some seriously bad advice from Gandler, who as far as I can tell is one of the shadier agents there has been.

All that said, he was responsible for following Gandler's advice, and for hiring him in the first place.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I think he got some seriously bad advice from Gandler, who as far as I can tell is one of the shadier agents there has been.

All that said, he was responsible for following Gandler's advice, and for hiring him in the first place.

The amount of Gandler client holdouts in those late 1990's seasons was ridiculous. It was nice when, (IIRC) Kasparitis fired him and signed his deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The amount of Gandler client holdouts in those late 1990's seasons was ridiculous. It was nice when, (IIRC) Kasparitis fired him and signed his deal.

Anybody surprised that Gandler represents Nichushkin and he's essentially defecting to the KHL on Dallas until Ruff's contract ends?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Anybody surprised that Gandler represents Nichushkin and he's essentially defecting to the KHL on Dallas until Ruff's contract ends?

And it is Heatly who filed an $11-million lawsuit in an Alberta court against his agent.

Then Chris Philips did the same thing. I never heard anything filed against Gandler.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
We could have had Yzerman for Yashin, Detroit were that dumb. Johnston should have pressured DET nonstop to do this, Yzerman would have been beast with Alfredsson finally blooming into a playoff warrior down the road. I'll gladly go to this night and collect a bobblehad for a Hart level centre, no hard feelings as Dmitry was quite the addition Ashbury College, or so I hear!

Will also attend for Kovalev bobblehead night, Karlsson bobblehead night and perhaps Gonchar bobblehead night, though he underperformed in the preseason that one time.

No ill will to Heatley, he had asked Murray to trade him in March of that year but Murray (as usual) went through the press and lowered his value. I will never fault a player leaving here (or any team) when he sees the team is stalled in development or on the declne. Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. Thank goodness Pierre Dorion is finally putting some pressure on the team!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't have anything to quote, but it was directly from the mouth of the GM of the Senators at the time, while at a bar, in Shawville the summer Alfie left for Detroit.

So I'm actually not speculating. Alfie handled the whole UFA situation very poorly. Sens just didn't ever say exactly what happened.

Well, that's Murray's side of the story. I bet Alfie has his own version. We will never know what really happened, same with Chara. The thing is that free agents have the right to go where they want, right? I mean, every summer guys sign with new teams and very few of them are criticized. Why is Alfie a bad guy for exercising the same right? I was dissapointment too, like every Senators fan, but I dont believe the guy did anything wrong.

Heatley on the other hand...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How stupid did Murray look dealing with this? You have a player with a NTC, who you know wants to go to California, who has done it before and is clearly selfish, you have a hard deadline with money paid, and you end up in front of a microphone explaining how you screwed everything up in a trade Heatkey didn't want.

The big thing with Murray is he didn't adapt to the new NHL athlete. Alfie, Heatley, Spezza, Redden - all top Ottawa players and they all ended up leaving with hard feelings. Spezza the least of it, but Murray did so little to protect his Captain that after 1 season he wanted out.

I don't think this is fair. Did we know Heatley wanted San Jose all along, or did we realize that along the way. Most guys who ask to be traded are doing so because they just want off the current team, meaning they will go anywhere. Heatley claiming he wouldn't want to go to Edmonton because he wanted options made him look like a jerk. Play in Ottawa, play in Edmonton or retire. See, you do have options you ****ing all star.

Most guys would have accepted the deal to Edmonton. Just because Heatley didn't doesn't mean it's Murray's fault. Murray claims he was in contact with Heatley's agent while he was negotiating with the Oilers. He was told he could proceed, and then had the rug pulled out from under him.

It's the same reason I didn't respect Martin St. Louis's request. To say you will only go to one team is really putting your team in a tough spot. I can deal with a player requesting a trade, but Heatley and St. Louis handled their situations extremely poorly and ended up looking like jerks in the process.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
And it is Heatly who filed an $11-million lawsuit in an Alberta court against his agent.

Then Chris Philips did the same thing. I never heard anything filed against Gandler.

I don't think anyone's saying Gandler does anything illegal, just that it can't be a coincidence that his clients seem (or seemed in the 90s at least) to hold out far more often than other agent's clients. Just on our team we had Stan Neckar who was another Gandler holdout. It is (or at least was) part of the agent's MO. Many people consider this a sleazy MO and it certainly hurts his client's image, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that he was deliberately acting against their interest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Elias sues Mark Gandler
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...s-Sues-Former-Agents-Gandler-And-Diamond.aspx

Capitals sue Gandler and Semin
http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2207036

And heck, the Sens sued Yashin and Gandler too, though the suit was dropped when the two sides settled.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senators-drop-suit-against-yashin/

Yep, Gandler gets sued too.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa

Ok, I'll bite. Please elaborate.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yashin's probably the most polarizing guy the team has ever had. i know he wasn't the easiest guy to handle but he was still pretty talented while he played with us.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'm not bothered by him. He did his job more or less, asked for a trade and we got a good deal.

Heatley I feel like little more hatred for, but still not a lot.

Gerber... I hate with the fire of a thousand suns.

Ok, I'll bite. Please elaborate.

The contributions of Yashin + Chara + Spezza. That's what he probably means.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I'm not bothered by him. He did his job more or less, asked for a trade and we got a good deal.

Heatley I feel like little more hatred for, but still not a lot.

Gerber... I hate with the fire of a thousand suns.

The contributions of Yashin + Chara + Spezza. That's what he probably means.

Gerber? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad