Confirmed with Link: "Alexei Yashin Bobblehead Night" @SBP coming in 2017 (NAC donation not included)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Usually the announcement of a bobblehead night isn't thread-worthy news, but this one seems pretty significant considering context.

It seems like the organization and the player have officially made up, at least enough for a bobblehead night. It might be the first time the organization has officially recognized Yashin since the Islanders trade outside of mentioning his name in the Spezza/Chara trade. This absolutely has to be the first time since that trade that the Sens have used his name as a PROMOTIONAL gimmick, that's for damn sure.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Listened to that interview this morning. I was shocked that nobody really asked about that after. I thought that was huge news, but Leeder mentioned it so casually and the interviewers just moved things along. It's certainly the first time in my memory that he's been acknowledged as a significant part of the franchise's history, so I thought that was pretty big. For the record, I think it's the right thing to do and the timing is perfect. Glad to have you back in the fold, Alexei! Still way too soon for Heatley.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They are having, what, 25 bobblehead nights over the next two seasons?

If you have 25 of them and are including older players, Yashin seems like a no brainer.

I do find it weird that the team let the Heatley situation get so ugly. How many teams still have hard feelings for players so many years later? Sore losers, let their egos get in the way of what was best for the team, diminished Heatley's value, botched a trade, and got nothing for him.

The reason they don't like him is because they got nothing for him in a trade. If they had done a deal and we got a great young dynamic player (like we should have) everyone would of put it behind them.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I do find it weird that the team let the Heatley situation get so ugly. How many teams still have hard feelings for players so many years later? Sore losers, let their egos get in the way of what was best for the team, diminished Heatley's value, botched a trade, and got nothing for him.

The reason they don't like him is because they got nothing for him in a trade. If they had done a deal and we got a great young dynamic player (like we should have) everyone would of put it behind them.

The hate for Heatley is kind of funny now that I think about it. He asked for a trade, then shot down a trade by exercising his NTC.

Spezza did the exact same thing. No one hates Spezza for it.

Alfie did far worse than anyone by dragging the team along and refusing to call Murray back with his UFA negotiations, and then out of the blue agreeing with Detroit and not telling Murray anything about it. That's way worse than anything anyone has done, as far as I can remember, and most people have completely forgiven Alfie. I still haven't forgiven him. I'm one of the few though.

But we all hate Heatley.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What Spezza and Heatley did were not the same at all. :laugh:

Heatley asked for a trade a year and a half after signing a seven year extension. Ok, I'm disappointed, but I can get over that. What I can't accept is a player asking for a trade and then using his no trade clause. You asked for the trade buddy, let us move on and get some players here. Instead, we have to pay him the 4 million dollar signing bonus and the thing drags on all summer into training camp. If he didn't want to go to Edmonton why didn't his agent indicate that to Murray? Instead Murray wasted his time and Edmonton wasted theirs.

Heatley held his breath until he got what he wanted, a trade to San Jose, much like a child will hold his breath until his parents give in and buy him the toy he wants. Heatley came across like a ****ing entitled baby, and showed no gratitude to the team who rescued him from Atlanta. Did you know Heatley wanted Atlanta to release him so he could go wherever he wanted? The guys a jerk, he always has been and he always will be. **** that guy.

Spezza had a list of ten teams he wouldn't go to and Nashville was on the list. He had the right to veto that trade. There also wasn't a signing bonus involved. To compare him to Heatley just proves you [don't know] what you're talking about.

The two situations are completely different.

Your comments about Alfie are pure speculation, not to mention he was a free agent. It's kind of different, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Hey, did you guys know Yashin is still the closest any Sens player has gotten to the Hart?

Outside of Karlsson no one else has gotten close.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What Spezza and Heatley did were not the same at all. :laugh:

Heatley asked for a trade a year and a half after signing a seven year extension. Ok, I'm disappointed, but I can get over that. What I can't accept is a player asking for a trade and then using his no trade clause. You asked for the trade buddy, let us move on and get some players here. Instead, we have to pay him the 4 million dollar signing bonus and the thing drags on all summer into training camp. If he didn't want to go to Edmonton why didn't his agent indicate that to Murray? Instead Murray wasted his time and Edmonton wasted theirs.

Heatley held his breath until he got what he wanted, a trade to San Jose, much like a child will hold his breath until his parents give in and buy him the toy he wants. Heatley came across like a ****ing entitled baby, and showed no gratitude to the team who rescued him from Atlanta. Did you know Heatley wanted Atlanta to release him so he could go wherever he wanted? The guys a jerk, he always has been and he always will be. **** that guy.

Spezza had a list of ten teams he wouldn't go to and Nashville was on the list. He had the right to veto that trade. There also wasn't a signing bonus involved. To compare him to Heatley just proves you [don't lnow] what you're talking about.

The two situations are completely different.

Your comments about Alfie are pure speculation, not to mention he was a free agent. It's kind of different, no?

How stupid did Murray look dealing with this? You have a player with a NTC, who you know wants to go to California, who has done it before and is clearly selfish, you have a hard deadline with money paid, and you end up in front of a microphone explaining how you screwed everything up in a trade Heatkey didn't want.

The big thing with Murray is he didn't adapt to the new NHL athlete. Alfie, Heatley, Spezza, Redden - all top Ottawa players and they all ended up leaving with hard feelings. Spezza the least of it, but Murray did so little to protect his Captain that after 1 season he wanted out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
well this is something i never thought i'd see. i'm glad though. yashin was a beast for us and i feel like things going sour wasn't all his fault.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
How stupid did Murray look dealing with this? You have a player with a NTC, who you know wants to go to California, who has done it before and is clearly selfish, you have a hard deadline with money paid, and you end up in front of a microphone explaining how you screwed everything up in a trade Heatkey didn't want.

The big thing with Murray is he didn't adapt to the new NHL athlete. Alfie, Heatley, Spezza, Redden - all top Ottawa players and they all ended up leaving with hard feelings. Spezza the least of it, but Murray did so little to protect his Captain that after 1 season he wanted out.

Disagree, players love Murray. Spezza wanted out because of his treatment by an element of the 'fans' and media. Redden wanted a big pay day, and got it.

The Heatley situation was all on Heatley and his agent

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
better have a heatley night. I want that bobblehead!!

I'm for a Heatley Bobblehead in principle, but I don't think its a good idea in practice. I'm hoping that the Sens will go through the effort of properly honouring each of the players they recognize with a bobblehead, including having them present for a pre game ceremony type thing. I think there's too much potential for things to go bad if Heatley is back before a sell out crowd, and the organization would be reluctant because it would be embarrassing for them on so many levels.

The Yashin episode was a generation ago, and most people have let the wounds heal. Helped that Ottawa won that trade (I think Ottawa won the Heatley trade too, but for different reasons).

Do you think that if we had a Heatley night the fans would behave? (I mean that not as a sarcastic question)

Last edited:

Swedish House

Jun 17, 2015
Do you think that if we had a Heatley night the fans would behave? (I mean that not as a sarcastic question)

I think some fans are still upset. But the majority of people that would be in the CTC on that night dont remember/know how it ended between the two parties

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Good example is Artemi Panarin with Chicago and his first rookie season

Alexei Yashin sn 1993–94 Ottawa Senators NHL83 30 49 79pts

Panarin 2015–16 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 30 47 77 pts

Only Panarin will get a new contract, recognizing him as the star in this league.

Ottawa was dismal as the team, to have a rookie with 30 goals and 79 points on its roster. It was insane. Now teams better recognize the talent and would not get into Daigle's boondoggle. And give the appropriate contracts. And Ottawa did not have the cash at the times, and that's why was hard balling Yashin at every negotiation

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Euge wasn't wronged by Yash so no hard feelings there....Heater on the other hand went to war against him so it's understandable the tension is still there.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Yashin was this franchise's true first star player. As badly as his time in Ottawa ended, he was a great player for us. Still the only player to ever get a Hart nomination and that was playing in the old clutch and grab era and with line mates that were far, far inferior to what guys like Alfie had.

It's shame his time was spoiled with all those contract issues and those playoff losses with the Leafs as well. I remember being upset the day he was officially gone from the team. I was expecting it all along but it was still a bit of a shock seeing that he was no longer a Senators player. Of course, we got back way more than we gave away when we got Spezza and Chara, but it was a end of an era.

Like him or not, Yashin is a big part of this franchise's history

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The hate for Heatley is kind of funny now that I think about it. He asked for a trade, then shot down a trade by exercising his NTC.

Spezza did the exact same thing. No one hates Spezza for it.

Alfie did far worse than anyone by dragging the team along and refusing to call Murray back with his UFA negotiations, and then out of the blue agreeing with Detroit and not telling Murray anything about it. That's way worse than anything anyone has done, as far as I can remember, and most people have completely forgiven Alfie. I still haven't forgiven him. I'm one of the few though.

But we all hate Heatley.

There was apparently a 'go ahead' given by the Heatley camp to negotiate with Edm, but then he nixed it after the trade details were hammered out, which is why the org was so miffed about it. Evidently, the Heatley camp expected the team to negotiate deals with several teams, then bring back 3 or four options for him to choose from. It's all hearsay of course, but the whole situation seemed far more adversarial (particularly after the nixed Edm deal) as opposed to a more collaborative situation with Spezza.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Alfie and Spezza both left a few seasons after the club started a painful rebuild and both were clearly outside their primes. I was kind of happy for both of them to get a chance somewhere else.

When Heatley demanded his trade, there was a legit possibility that the team could retool around the Cash Line. Plus, vetoing the deal and the $4M bonus because of that and the underwhelming return. The only saving grace was the rapid decline of Heatley feeding our shadenfraude (sp?).

Hey, did you guys know Yashin is still the closest any Sens player has gotten to the Hart?

Outside of Karlsson no one else has gotten close.

Alfie was 5th in 2006. Karlsson was 8th in 2012.

Look at the 1999 and the point totals, the Yashin vote was a condemnation of the rest of the team.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Embarrassing giving this guy a bobblehead night or any night. Guy didn't want to play here!! Becoming less of a sens fan year by year. Bunch of idiots running this team.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

I don't have anything to quote, but it was directly from the mouth of the GM of the Senators at the time, while at a bar, in Shawville the summer Alfie left for Detroit.

So I'm actually not speculating. Alfie handled the whole UFA situation very poorly. Sens just didn't ever say exactly what happened.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Embarrassing giving this guy a bobblehead night or any night. Guy didn't want to play here!! Becoming less of a sens fan year by year. Bunch of idiots running this team.

Daniel Alfredsson did not want to play for the Sens anymore at the end. And we did get nothing for him and he declined any trade before free agency, and he just walked away from the team. Yashin 's trade on the other hand was the best in franchise history. The guy approved it and went to the dismal Islanders. And arguably Yashin contributed to the franchise more then Alfredsson.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I don't have anything to quote, but it was directly from the mouth of the GM of the Senators at the time, while at a bar, in Shawville the summer Alfie left for Detroit.

So I'm actually not speculating. Alfie handled the whole UFA situation very poorly. Sens just didn't ever say exactly what happened.

Wasn't the other side that Alfredsson played out his $1M slight cap circumventing contract season with a verbal agreememt to be properly compensated the next year. When the team went back on their word and tried to play hardball, he was offended and moved on?

Anyways, it was a little lovers quarrel. What was really lost when all is said and done? Ottawa lost a 49 point season in a non-playoff year. Big whoop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad