Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
That sucks, I guess xo won that battle (they are similar players).
Wasn't marchenko blashill's boy? I remember blash being high on him

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yup just more great asset mgmt by Holland. Lol. Waive a22nd possibly lose a decent 2 way defensman who's better than Kronwall and Errorson atm.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yup just more great asset mgmt by Holland. Lol. Waive a22nd possibly lose a decent 2 way defensman who's better than Kronwall and Errorson atm.

Yep. Those two are not NHL dmen anymore. And this is one of ericssons better years. Tells you how much he sucked

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Marchenko had a lot of solid games under his belt this year. He didn't look hot after coming back from injury but I don't think he was bad enough to not see if he can figure it out. Sadly, Holland destroyed that possibility when he continued his trend of handing out dumb deals to pedestrian players.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Marchenko is a great 3rd pairing gut tbh, better than anyone we have.

I hope he gets claimed by a Team that treats him with the respect he deserves!

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Another player who's not happy with our incompetent coach. Why they hell didn't they just send Jensen down after 9 games.

If we get a good lottery pick, it won't seem so bad, but this season is the worst coached and worst managed wings season since the Ilitches bought the club.

We need to get Blashill out of here asap as almost all the players have regressed significantly, and most have had their confidence destroyed.

Marchy is a perfectly good 5-6 on a competently coached team. Decent size, decent mobility, good first pass if simple. But god alone knows what the hell this team is even trying to do from game to game. No structure, no chemistry unless Z or Vanek are on the ice and no-one playing to their former level.

Its a farce.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
It's too bad because he is significantly better than 3 of our 9 Defencemen.

Marchenko is better than Ericsson, Kronwall and Smith in my opinion. I understand that we are trying to protect Sproul and Jensen as assets, so that makes sense there, but I just wish our organization had the balls to actually make a statement (waive Ericsson, he is the worst player in the entire league.)

Significantly?

Lol... Wow sometimes.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That sucks, I guess xo won that battle (they are similar players).
Wasn't marchenko blashill's boy? I remember blash being high on him

Without knowing whether his agent asked for this, I think you are more right than wrong on this point. Of the four, March and XO are the most similar. Sproul and Jensen are both right handed and bring a slightly different dimension (Sproul pure offense and Jensen defensive mobility). March and XO are both smart, semi-skilled defenders with heavy feet. Unfortunately, it is hard to improve heavy feet.

I hope he plays well wherever he goes. I always liked him an think that he still has some upside if he can stay healthy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Without knowing whether his agent asked for this, I think you are more right than wrong on this point. Of the four, March and XO are the most similar. Sproul and Jensen are both right handed and bring a slightly different dimension (Sproul pure offense and Jensen defensive mobility). March and XO are both smart, semi-skilled defenders with heavy feet. Unfortunately, it is hard to improve heavy feet.

I hope he plays well wherever he goes. I always liked him an think that he still has some upside if he can stay healthy.

I think ouellet >> marchenko

Little bit better at scoring. Defending. Way more physical imo. Same skating. Ouellet has better everything except a few things in which they are tied

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Holland admitted that it's unlikely the wings will have a legit top pair in the next 5 years.

Players like Marchenko and Oulette are essential if you're going defense by committee. They can't skate but they have great hockey sense and compete level, and can cover the glaring weaknesses of players like Green and Dekeyser.

But it sounds like something worse is going on here. Mrazek and Marchenko have great international pedigrees, are humble and quiet, and are consistently fiercely competitive. And we have a team that's throwing them under the bus?

Something stinks.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Agree with you guys that the Wings were looking at that. Strongly disagree with the Wings. How trendy of them to notice that the elite teams have great skating throughout their lineup.

Our team isn't elite, and cerebral low tempo hockey is the only chance this team has at being competitive for as long as Zetterberg is in our top 6.

I wonder if Kronwall is embarrassed by this? Because there is no way he or anyone thinks he's a more capable player than Marchenko atm.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Holland admitted that it's unlikely the wings will have a legit top pair in the next 5 years.

Players like Marchenko and Oulette are essential if you're going defense by committee. They can't skate but they have great hockey sense and compete level, and can cover the glaring weaknesses of players like Green and Dekeyser.

But it sounds like something worse is going on here. Mrazek and Marchenko have great international pedigrees, are humble and quiet, and are consistently fiercely competitive. And we have a team that's throwing them under the bus?

Something stinks.

Not sure I'd call mrazek humble. He's more like a cocky but won't say it kind of guy (at least on the ice) But yeah the way things are turning out seems a bit. Strange

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
There is always a very large crowd in these threads explaining what a travesty it is a player is waived. Can I state a few obvious facts:

--If a player is waived, it really does mean that the player is barely NHL level talent. OR they are massively overpaid.

--A player is usually only waived if most teams did NOT offer anything for him in Trade.

I suppose there will always be a lot of debate of who our worst D man is...so I am not going to get into that. Most people have made up their minds on who they like and who they do not like... But I can add another element to the conversation:

Jensen, Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul have all been around for a long time. Jensen is pretty old, and the option of leaving him down in GR probably just was not an option anymore (maybe he just retires). He got his shot, and the Team likes him. At least ENOUGH so that he isn't at the bottom of the list.

Also IF you believe waiving Ericsson and Kronwall is going to make those salaries dissappear... nah. Plus the recapture on Kronwall is a huge risk for us.

Its clear LTIR is Kronwall's route. And the hardcore Ericsson haters, I don't think they have watched him play this year.

Also we only have so many positions:

Green
Dekeyser
Ericsson
Ouellet
Kronwall
Jensen
Smith
Sproul
Marchenko

Common we cannot keep them all. Infact its looking like 1 more is going to have to leave this year!

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Weird that Holland can't even get a late rounder for guys like Pulkkinen, Frk or Marchenko. Maybe they gamble and hope Marchenko will go unclaimed.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
There is always a very large crowd in these threads explaining what a travesty it is a player is waived. Can I state a few obvious facts:

--If a player is waived, it really does mean that the player is barely NHL level talent. OR they are massively overpaid.

--A player is usually only waived if most teams did NOT offer anything for him in Trade.

I suppose there will always be a lot of debate of who our worst D man is...so I am not going to get into that. Most people have made up their minds on who they like and who they do not like... But I can add another element to the conversation:

Jensen, Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul have all been around for a long time. Jensen is pretty old, and the option of leaving him down in GR probably just was not an option anymore (maybe he just retires). He got his shot, and the Team likes him. At least ENOUGH so that he isn't at the bottom of the list.

Also IF you believe waiving Ericsson and Kronwall is going to make those salaries dissappear... nah. Plus the recapture on Kronwall is a huge risk for us.

Its clear LTIR is Kronwall's route. And the hardcore Ericsson haters, I don't think they have watched him play this year.

Also we only have so many positions:

Green
Dekeyser
Ericsson
Ouellet
Kronwall
Jensen
Smith
Sproul
Marchenko

Common we cannot keep them all. Infact its looking like 1 more is going to have to leave this year!

I agree.

I find it amusing no team employs and then waived so many players with such little trade value, not even worth conditional 7th round picks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree.

I find it amusing no team employs and then waived so many players with such little trade value, not even worth conditional 7th round picks

https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers

Chicago - one less waive - 0 claims this season.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/CHI

Florida, more waives - 1 claim. The original owner of his rights.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/FLA

Boston, Equal waives - one claim, same guy Florida waived.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/BOS

I **** you not, these are the first 3 and only teams I looked up. So maybe the players didn't stick on their claimed teams, but this isn't out of the ordinary and at least our guys were given a shot.

Debunked on the last page in this thread with this post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad