Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Should have waived Kronwall/Ericsson, but vets get a free pass to play while not being NHL caliber as usual.

Nice knowing ya Marchy.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's too bad because he is significantly better than 3 of our 9 Defencemen.

Marchenko is better than Ericsson, Kronwall and Smith in my opinion. I understand that we are trying to protect Sproul and Jensen as assets, so that makes sense there, but I just wish our organization had the balls to actually make a statement (waive Ericsson, he is the worst player in the entire league.)

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Meh. Not sure he'd ever be more than a bottom pairing guy, so while he may not have been the most deserving, it's hard to get too upset.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good for him. More players are likely to follow suit if a guy in his and Jurco's positions are complaining. I wonder if they even tried to trade Marchenko or just realized how pointless that would be. Another piece of evidence for how awful our drafting and development has been for the past 15+ years. :help:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should have waived Kronwall/Ericsson, but vets get a free pass to play while not being NHL caliber as usual.

Nice knowing ya Marchy.

Kronwall is subject to recapture, and Ericsson has actually been solid this season.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Good for him. More players are likely to follow suit if a guy in his and Jurco's positions are complaining. I wonder if they even tried to trade Marchenko or just realized how pointless that would be. Another piece of evidence for how awful our drafting and development has been for the past 15+ years. :help:

Dude was a 7th round pick. Any NHL games out of a 7th rounder is great.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Marchenko is basically a younger, $3M dollar cheaper Ericsson.

Some teams definitely could have interest.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He'll get claimed, I had hope for him last season but he seems like a career bottom pair or 7, we have enough of that. Everyone in the lineup tonight has outplayed him, even Kronwall though he's been probably closest caliber.

What a joke, people don't understand NHL Draft success rates.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Screen_Shot_2017_01_31_at_11.16.47_PM.png

^^^ Datsyuk's agent.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He'll get claimed, I had hope for him last season but he seems like a career bottom pair or 7, we have enough of that. Everyone in the lineup tonight has outplayed him, even Kronwall though he's been probably closest caliber.

What a joke, people don't understand NHL Draft success rates.

Smith has never outplayed anyone

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
His agent is right he shouldnt be scratched

Why? He's been okay. He hasn't been good. The team has the financial flexibility to cut him loose and not Ericsson or Kronwall.

If Kronner is playing at a 4/10, Marchenko is somewhere betweeen 3.5-4.5/10. It's not some huge miscarriage of justice that a meh bottom pairing D is being waived.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Why? He's been okay. He hasn't been good. The team has the financial flexibility to cut him loose and not Ericsson or Kronwall.

If Kronner is playing at a 4/10, Marchenko is somewhere betweeen 3.5-4.5/10. It's not some huge miscarriage of justice that a meh bottom pairing D is being waived.

Because he is better than Kronwall and Smith who are both turnover machines. Plus he is a right handed shot too.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Because he is better than Kronwall and Smith who are both turnover machines. Plus he is a right handed shot too.

I'm all for criticizing management's terrible decisions but Marchenko in terms of NHL talent is as marginal as they come.

He couldn't stay in the lineup of a bottom 5 defensive team.

Now would I rather have him and his contract over Ericsson? absolutely, but in reality we are stuck with the Swedish pylon for the duration of his contract.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would have just waived Smith. You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have given something for Marchenko rather than putting him on waivers. Instead, we'll probably lose him for nothing because Holland would rather try to hoard his assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad