Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
:amazed: Didn't see this one coming. I think it's too bad as I never have had a problem with AM. He's been complained about this season but has proven to be VERY steady for a younger D in the league. I thought he'd continue to grow and slowly start chipping more in on offense. May be a career 3rd pair but a ceiling as a great #5.

There's so much behind the scenes. Seeing the headlines I knew there was personal problems involved, probably like what's up with Mrazek. Possible the unhappiness is not from being scratched but the source of his lackluster play recently. Someone said it would have been nice if Pavel has stayed around another year with AM. Must be lonely as the only russian and without a firm grasp on the english language.

100% he's claimed. Any doubts he isn't?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I would have just waived Smith. You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have given something for Marchenko rather than putting him on waivers. Instead, we'll probably lose him for nothing because Holland would rather try to hoard his assets.

i wouldn't waive either of them. If you can get a pick for kindl, you can get a pick for anyone

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Because he is better than Kronwall and Smith who are both turnover machines. Plus he is a right handed shot too.

Ok... and if you waive Kronwall, you are cutting 900k out of his cap hit and you're on the hook for pretty much all the recapture he has coming.

So, you save 900k... and get hit with what, 3M-4M in dead money for three or four more years?

People complain about Holland being bad at asset management... sheesh.

In all likelihood, Marchenko clears waivers and the Wings aren't any worse off. Marchenko can even come back tomorrow.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
i wouldn't waive either of them. If you can get a pick for kindl, you can get a pick for anyone

Agree, but if I was waiving someone, it wouldn't have been Marchenko. Have to wonder how disgruntled that locker room is beyond just the losing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm sure Holland couldn't find a buyer for him so he was waived. Oh well.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kinda surprised but stopped really caring what happens to players at the bottom of this roster. Feel like a trade could have been made instead of just waiving him even if it was a 7th rounder. Maybe there was just no takers

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I guess I'm biased but an NHL team would be blind not to grab Marchy for 1.5 (1/2 salary retained). I never thought the same thing about Miller, Frk, Pulkkinen, Ferraro, etc.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I would have just waived Smith. You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have given something for Marchenko rather than putting him on waivers. Instead, we'll probably lose him for nothing because Holland would rather try to hoard his assets.

Smith wouldn't be my first choice, but potentially losing Marchenkov through waivers is ridiculous. I honestly don't know what Holland is doing anymore.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015

Problem is that there's too much time left to decide if you want to buy or sell. So you may have been able to get a pick at the end of the month for somebody, but right now you aren't getting anything. Teams want to see what the standings look like in three weeks before they make any decisions about taking on anyone.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Has any team waived more players than the Detroit red wings the last three years

Crazy to think we ice so many players with absolutely zero value to any of the 29 other clubs...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
You can't waive Kronwall. And Smith is apparently worth a ~3rd round pick in trade, so waiving him would be pretty silly.

Whatever. Marchenko doesn't really do much for a team that has a plethora of cheap bottom pairing defenders, so he's not really a loss if he gets claimed. And most of the guys people would've rather waived are either non-sensical (Kronwall/Ericsson) or potentially have more value.

I hope someone else picks him up, and he gets out of a situation that's apparently not making him happy.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Has any team waived more players than the Detroit red wings the last three years

Crazy to think we ice so many players with absolutely zero value to any of the 29 other clubs...

Wtf are you talking about?

Half the players we've waived have been claimed, Frk, Nesty, Ferraro, Teemu..... What because Drew Miller and a couple other guys (Lashoff, Jensen, Callahan, Tangradi) some of which may not see the roster again were waived at the start of the season and cleared did no one on our team can make other rosters?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Smith wouldn't be my first choice, but potentially losing Marchenkov through waivers is ridiculous. I honestly don't know what Holland is doing anymore.

I'm not really sure it matters which underperforming vet D we waived, tbh. I'd consider waiving Ericsson just on the off chance someone else would grab him for nothing and we'd lose that salary from our books.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Half the players we've waived have been claimed, Frk, Nesty, Ferraro, Teemu..... What because Drew Miller and a couple other guys (Lashoff, Jensen, Callahan, Tangradi) some of which may not see the roster again were waived at the start of the season and cleared did no one on our team can make other rosters?

Frk,Teemu both waived shortly after being picked up. Ferraro is in the AHL after short stint in Boston. Nestrasil being the only player that stuck. Anderson also waived with no takers. Is wtf I think he is talking about.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Frk was re-waived! Pulkks is in the AHL. Kindl, Ferraro, Miller, again they're players like Andersson and Lashoff that the Wings ice for YEARS that not a team in the league has a drop of interest in.

Remember Malik crying himself to sleep because Holland couldn't get a pick for Pulkkinen and Frk? Man we drastically overrate our prospects and roster players. I'd love to see the entire Wings 23 man roster put on waivers. I really wonder how many players would pass through...:shakehead

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Frk,Teemu both waived shortly after being picked up. Ferraro is in the AHL after short stint in Boston. Nestrasil being the only player that stuck. Anderson also waived with no takers. Is wtf I think he is talking about.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Frk was re-waived! Pulkks is in the AHL. Kindl, Ferraro, Miller, again they're players like Andersson and Lashoff that the Wings ice for YEARS that not a team in the league has a drop of interest in.

Remember Malik crying himself to sleep because Holland couldn't get a pick for Pulkkinen and Frk? Man we drastically overrate our prospects and roster players. I'd love to see the entire Wings 23 man roster put on waivers. I really wonder how many players would pass through...:shakehead

https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers

Chicago - one less waive - 0 claims this season.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/CHI

Florida, more waives - 1 claim. The original owner of his rights.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/FLA

Boston, Equal waives - one claim, same guy Florida waived.
https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/waivers/BOS

I **** you not, these are the first 3 and only teams I looked up. So maybe the players didn't stick on their claimed teams, but this isn't out of the ordinary and at least our guys were given a shot.

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Detroit put Frk on waivers at the beginning of the season and Carolina claimed him (former Wings asst and now Carolina coach saw something in Frk that was needed in Carolina). Played about 7 games there and scored a goal but he was cutting it up there, so Carolina put him on waivers and the Red Wings reclaimed him and he is playing here in Grand Rapids ever since.

With Drew Miller officially now assigned in Grand Rapids, the Griffins released Louis-Marc Aubry from his contract yesterday and signed a contract playing for Berlin in the German Elite League. Griffins have too many veterans in our roster as he was caught in the "veteran to sit out a game or two" thing lately (not counting Cleary who has not played a game at all for Grand Rapids this season). Callahan sat out a game or two last week. Matthew Ford might be the next one to go through the rotation.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
We have about 5 guys who are interchangeable. None are horrible but none are particularly good. I guess Marchy loses because he has no offensive upside.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Meh. He was never impressive to me. I do find it hard to believe they weren't able to trade him for any sort of pick. Right handed dman r at a premium. I know he has no offence. And is nothing more than a bottom pairing guy. But he'd be a nice depth pickup for a playoff team. Would have thought they could have gotten at least 7th rounder for him instead of losing him for nothing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They must have some hope they can sneak him through because I'd definitely assume we could get at least a late round pick for him.

I like Marchy well enough, but with Jensen playing solid, Sproul unable to get icetime, Russo and Hicketts on the way, Hronek on the horizon... not much room. Some depth guys have to go and Marchy didn't have a good season.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If Detroit really wanted to move him they should have waited till the deadline.

You say this as though KH has a clue what he's doing. Not a big loss others should have went first. Smith, Mr Zero, Kronbad. What ever I have no faith in this team from the top to the bottom.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You say this as though KH has a clue what he's doing. Not a big loss others should have went first. Smith, Mr Zero, Kronbad. What ever I have no faith in this team from the top to the bottom.

Carrying 9 defenseman, 12 forwards, and 2 goalies is idiotic. Sheahan wouldn't be waived.

Kronwall would never get waived because of the money behind it. Smith has higher trade value than Marchy. Even if you don't think he does the difference is marginal.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Actually it sounds like he isn't his agent. See the WIIM link above.

Milstein is part of Gold Star. Not sure who Marchenko's actual agent is, but he's with Octagon. Walsh is the only one from there I know of off by heart.

I doubt its Walsh, he would have had a Twitterfest by now defending Marchenko. As far as I know that hasn't happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad