Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
That article just put the biggest smile on my face. Despite how it ended that era was just unreal for us fans. The team, the players, the personality, the style of play. Was an absolute treat to watch those guys battle their hearts out. Godspeed Bur, hoping I can get tickets for his return, he deserves a proper sendoff.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Lu, what an unreal era. It was one hell of a ride and I can't wait to get on the next one.

This is your team now Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, Demko.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Lu, what an unreal era. It was one hell of a ride and I can't wait to get on the next one.

This is your team now Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, Demko.

And that's sort of the issue....None of those guys compare to 4 of the 5 in your list above. And they aren't likely to.

Anyways nice article to read. The recent Draper one is excellent as well discussing the brawl.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
And that's sort of the issue....None of those guys compare to 4 of the 5 in your list above. And they aren't likely to.

Anyways nice article to read. The recent Draper one is excellent as well discussing the brawl.

what an idiotic statement, when Kesler and Burrows were starting to break into the NHL, Burrows was regarded as a 4th line fodder and Kesler was a definite "third line center with a shot that can't break a pane of glass"

There were many doubters of Sedins too saying they were too soft to carry a team and will likely bust.

If you've been on this board or a fan for long enough, which I think you have, you would understand how early judgements of players are completely baseless.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
and Kesler was a definite "third line center with a shot that can't break a pane of glass"
If you've been on this board or a fan for long enough, which I think you have, you would understand how early judgements of players are completely baseless.
Wasn't that mainly just Wetcoaster's rant?

From what I remember, Kesler was one of the "almost NHL ready" prospects at the time in his draft year. IMHO, a good 3rd line C is just as valuable to a team than a good 2nd line C (if we're talking about their 'traditional roles')

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Wasn't that mainly just Wetcoaster's rant?

From what I remember, Kesler was one of the "almost NHL ready" prospects at the time in his draft year. IMHO, a good 3rd line C is just as valuable to a team than a good 2nd line C (if we're talking about their 'traditional roles')

Low floor, high ceiling. NHL ready for the 4C perhaps.

When Philly signed him to the offer sheet (worth a 2nd) a lot of fans were pissed at overpaying for the 1.9M contract and were ready to walk away

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015

When Philly signed him to the offer sheet (worth a 2nd) a lot of fans were pissed at overpaying for the 1.9M contract and were ready to walk away

Those "fans" were obviously unaware of our depth at center (that 2nd round pick - Philly's which meant it would be a LOW 2nd round pick considering they were essentially 100 point team then)....the offer sheet compensation would be a joke. They probably more at Kesler for accepting that offer sheet (which was his right).

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Those fans were being idiots.

When that offer sheet came in, he had just put up 10G/22Pts as a 21 year old rookie with minimal PP time, and was behind only Linden in PK time. He was already the team's 3C, and was a year removed from 30G in the lockout-strengthened AHL. He was 7th among forwards for TOI/GP, and 6th in shifts per game in 05/06.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

I forgot about that offer sheet, I remember how upset the fan base was that Kesler was being paid 1.9 million

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Those fans were being idiots.

When that offer sheet came in, he had just put up 10G/22Pts as a 21 year old rookie with minimal PP time, and was behind only Linden in PK time. He was already the team's 3C, and was a year removed from 30G in the lockout-strengthened AHL. He was 7th among forwards for TOI/GP, and 6th in shifts per game in 05/06.

It's interesting how bleak Canucks fans are, considering Horvat is 21 and is destroying Kesler's stats at 21. It's not a one to one comparison but look at how Kesler ended up being a fine player.... Relax everyone!

On topic: Man, what a great article. I was smiling through the whole read but got really sad reading about the 2011 team :(

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's interesting how bleak Canucks fans are, considering Horvat is 21 and is destroying Kesler's stats at 21. It's not a one to one comparison but look at how Kesler ended up being a fine player.... Relax everyone!

On topic: Man, what a great article. I was smiling through the whole read but got really sad reading about the 2011 team :(

I can't think of anyone on here who is down on Horvat, or would throw a tantrum about paying him 3 million next season.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm just gonna leave this here.

They say a goal is worth a thousand words, in case they were all some variation of "OMFG HOLY **** WE ****ING DID IT JESUS ****ING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I forgot about that offer sheet, I remember how upset the fan base was that Kesler was being paid 1.9 million

It removed any "breathing space" with respect to the cap - that's was the reason for a good part of the anger. Other part was just how stupid the offer sheet Clarke offered was - as it wasn't high enough to force Nonis to consider taking the compensation. It was pointless (as we weren't a division rival - there was no need to screw us like that being no threat to them). There was just as much (if not more) anger directed at Clarke as a result.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

They say a goal is worth a thousand words, in case they were all some variation of "OMFG HOLY **** WE ****ING DID IT JESUS ****ING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!"

That was such a magical moment, I could hear my neighbourhood screaming.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
what an idiotic statement, when Kesler and Burrows were starting to break into the NHL, Burrows was regarded as a 4th line fodder and Kesler was a definite "third line center with a shot that can't break a pane of glass"

There were many doubters of Sedins too saying they were too soft to carry a team and will likely bust.

Personally it's pretty idiotic to say something or someone is idiotic when you don't agree with them.

Now if you take a step back and take a deep breath the list included Art Ross winners, Selke winners, and Vezina finalists. It includes guys who do actually have a conceivable shot at the hall of fame (twins with 1000 points, major awards, international success). That may not be what they were then but it is what they became and it is what they were drafted to become (certainly Lu and the twins). But honestly look at that first Burrows year that he is talking about...Naslund, Bertuzzi, Henrik, and Daniel were all top 50 scorers in the league. The Sedins were indeed something a that point. Lu wasn't a canuck yet and Kesler was young but certainly promising in terms of being a very good defenseive center. By the time he was 24 he was dangerous at both ends of the ice. I'd put forth that one is smoking some pretty serious stuff to suggest the second group has the upside that the first group at the time let alone what they ended up achieving. And that isn't a slight against those new players! We are talking about guys who for a significant stretch were truly among the absolute upper echelon of the very best players in the world.

I can buy that Horvat could become as impactful as a Kesler but I'm sorry there is nothing to suggest the organization has a couple Sedins somewhere at this time at any position. As much I like Stecher, Tryamkin and Hutton I simply do not see the huge upside some want to give them. I think they can be good support players but I have trouble seeing one true night in and night out difference maker let alone 3.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015

Arguably as important key Burrows goal!:

Came during a BRUTAL losing streak in Gillis' first season; he was getting LOTS OF pressure 'from above' to fire Vigneault (Vigneault confirms this - reason why he doesn't have that many negative thoughts about Gillis despite the later firing him).

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Loved the guy. Not deserving of a retired jersey, I'm not even sure he's on Ring of Honour, but I'd have no problem if they put him there... eventually they're going to run out of space though... then what?

Three years ago I would have said Kesler before Burrows... not anymore.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Said it before....one of the most endearing stories in franchise history, and a lesson to those high profile, first-round draft picks.....talent without determination and hard work gets you nowhere....and if you never give up on your dream, you'll never stop fighting until the fight is done.
It is frankly one of the most endearing stories in league history, and (as I always harp about) a dream story for CBC/Radio-Canada because of Burrows' demographics. The fact that hockey commentators on said networks are willing to throw this all away because he (rightly) criticized a crooked ref, or because he fought back against two guys playing outside the rules with him is idiotic. He's not even a "dirty" player even though his critics have given him that label (has injured all of ONE guy in his career). Duncan Keith deliberately injures a star player and he's a darling in the hockey community. Go figure.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Kesler was a allstar/Selke winner but a rat who left a sinking ship (while attempting to tie the hands of the GM). **** Kesler.

It's called being competitive and having an urge to win in anything, and this case a cup. Clearly you wouldn't understand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad