Alexander Wennberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
1 point in 4 games and a -5.

I think the hype train left the station a little early. I really want this kid to get time in Springfield when Jenner and/or Dubi come back.

So he's averaging just over 1 goal against per game, and has 1 pt in four games. I'm not arguing that about him going down as I won't be upset either way. But he hasn't looked bad or out of place. The only line that has honestly looked really good so far is Joeys line. The lines will get stirred when Jenner gets back and then again when Dubinsky gets back. He still has quite a few games to prove himself.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
But numbers are part of it.

But they don't tell the whole story. Obviously Richards has faith in him or he wouldn't be playing him as much as he does. The fact that he can play the minutes he plays and doesn't look out of place is impressive in itself. I trust Todd's assessment of a player more then any single poster on the boards, with SL being the one exception. :sarcasm: :P

But HCTR doesn't strike me as one to talk someone up in press conferences unless he truly believes what he's saying. Nor is he going to play someone almost 20minutes a game unless he's actually making an impact in the game.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
But they don't tell the whole story. Obviously Richards has faith in him or he wouldn't be playing him as much as he does. The fact that he can play the minutes he plays and doesn't look out of place is impressive in itself. I trust Todd's assessment of a player more then any single poster on the boards, with SL being the one exception. :sarcasm: :P

But HCTR doesn't strike me as one to talk someone up in press conferences unless he truly believes what he's saying. Nor is he going to play someone almost 20minutes a game unless he's actually making an impact in the game.

Bingo.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Only just because most prospects go down AHL path does it make it great for development?

It's a heavy travelling (all of that is out of practice time) bus league where the quality of opposition is fairly young, inexperienced or even not that special. Great for prospects without any prior professional ice hockey experience, language (or other cultural) skills or good grasp of the Northern American game and systems. Or for those who need to boost to their confidence if they ain't finding success at higher level.

If you can be comfortable on the ice and add to your team's play... to the NHL. No better experience around.

Having played at NHL third line level for example doesn't make you a golden god. Or would Letestu and Calvert be welcomed as those if they sailed across the Atlantic into a brave new hockey world...

Actually, for a team like Springfield, it's not a very difficult travel schedule most of the time. The Falcons have many same day trips as they have opponents...Providence, Manchester, Hartford, Lehigh Valley....all within a few hours of driving time. The league only plays a 76 game schedule (down from 80 a few years back) in order to make for more practice time.

Almost every non top 10 draft pick has played in the AHL. It's a faster league than juniors, college and most other professional leagues. It gives younger players a great opportunity to develop incrementally instead of throwing them to the wolves immediately. Most 20 year olds aren't NHL ready.

The Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the AHL folded after the 2004-05 season. There were at least 10 players who were still playing in the NHL last season (9 years later). Among them were PA Parenteau, Dustin Penner, Lupul, Chris Kunitz, Shane Obrien, Curtis Glencross, Ryan Getzlaf, Ilya Brzgalov and Zenon Konopka. The AHL is an extraordinary venue for player development.

Wennberg seems like a very good candidate for more seasoning. Once Dubiniski and Jenner return, Wennberg's PP play time (he's averaging 3:25 per game so far) will evaporate. He's much better off playing 16-19 minutes per game in the AHL than playing 10-12 minutes per game in the NHL.

I think it's great that he's getting the exposure that he's getting right now to the NHL game. It will serve him well as his development takes its best course in the AHL.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Actually, for a team like Springfield, it's not a very difficult travel schedule most of the time. The Falcons have many same day trips as they have opponents...Providence, Manchester, Hartford, Lehigh Valley....all within a few hours of driving time. The league only plays a 76 game schedule (down from 80 a few years back) in order to make for more practice time.

Almost every non top 10 draft pick has played in the AHL. It's a faster league than juniors, college and most other professional leagues. It gives younger players a great opportunity to develop incrementally instead of throwing them to the wolves immediately. Most 20 year olds aren't NHL ready.

The Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the AHL folded after the 2004-05 season. There were at least 10 players who were still playing in the NHL last season (9 years later). Among them were PA Parenteau, Dustin Penner, Lupul, Chris Kunitz, Shane Obrien, Curtis Glencross, Ryan Getzlaf, Ilya Brzgalov and Zenon Konopka. The AHL is an extraordinary venue for player development.

Wennberg seems like a very good candidate for more seasoning. Once Dubiniski and Jenner return, Wennberg's PP play time (he's averaging 3:25 per game so far) will evaporate. He's much better off playing 16-19 minutes per game in the AHL than playing 10-12 minutes per game in the NHL.

I think it's great that he's getting the exposure that he's getting right now to the NHL game. It will serve him well as his development takes its best course in the AHL.

Bingo

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8477505&view=splits

It's 16:23 per game including 3:26 of power play. He's getting 2nd line ice time which is appropriate given that that's the role he is in right now.

HCTR is certainly not going to be critical of him this early in his career unless he's doing something particularly awful. For the next month or so, he's a second or third line player on the CBJ and Richards is going to instill as much confidence in the kid as he can.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I don't believe Wennberg will be getting heavy minutes once Dubinsky and Jenner return. I think both his PK and PP time is likely to evaporate and his minutes will drop into the 3rd or even 4th line range - probably 10-12 minutes per game. I think he can be miles ahead by playing on the top line and getting lots of special teams time in Springfield. Put in that position, he can work to expand his game. I think Wennberg has 1 C potential and is probably best served by a bit more development.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I still don't understand how people think he needs seasoning. He has 1 point in 4 games, that's not horrible for a rookie. He plays tons of minutes including PP and PK time. He makes smooth passes, he is good positionally in his own zone and in the O zone. He doesn't make rush decisions, he's very calm with the puck. Just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he needs seasoning. Will his minutes decrease when Dubi and Boone get back? Sure, but I still think he will be on the team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I still don't understand how people think he needs seasoning. He has 1 point in 4 games, that's not horrible for a rookie. He plays tons of minutes including PP and PK time. He makes smooth passes, he is good positionally in his own zone and in the O zone. He doesn't make rush decisions, he's very calm with the puck. Just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he needs seasoning. Will his minutes decrease when Dubi and Boone get back? Sure, but I still think he will be on the team.

Well a few people are saying he's not ready, but most people aren't saying that. They're saying, I think correctly, that he would develop better in the AHL.

I want Wennberg to practice his wizardry playing top minutes in the AHL, the critical factor is that the competition should be a bit below him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't believe Wennberg will be getting heavy minutes once Dubinsky and Jenner return. I think both his PK and PP time is likely to evaporate and his minutes will drop into the 3rd or even 4th line range - probably 10-12 minutes per game. I think he can be miles ahead by playing on the top line and getting lots of special teams time in Springfield. Put in that position, he can work to expand his game. I think Wennberg has 1 C potential and is probably best served by a bit more development.
There are other players who could be absorbing those minutes, but Richards chose to give them to Wennberg.

Sounds a lot like our current #1C. The only reason he saw any time in the AHL was because of the lockout. Playing 3rd line minutes in a shutdown role and tons of PK time served Johansen pretty damn well. .

Wennberg for all intents and purposes played his "year of seasoning" last year in the SHL. Obviously it's not the AHL but it still serves the same purpose. Confidence is what Wennberg needs(just like Johansen did) and him playing in the NHL will give that to him, even if it's only 10-12 minutes a night.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
There are other players who could be absorbing those minutes, but Richards chose to give them to Wennberg.

Sounds a lot like our current #1C. The only reason he saw any time in the AHL was because of the lockout. Playing 3rd line minutes in a shutdown role and tons of PK time served Johansen pretty damn well. .

Wennberg for all intents and purposes played his "year of seasoning" last year in the SHL. Obviously it's not the AHL but it still serves the same purpose. Confidence is what Wennberg needs(just like Johansen did) and him playing in the NHL will give that to him, even if it's only 10-12 minutes a night.

I have to disagree. He played in a foreign league with bigger ice, and that's all good, but I don't think playing here will give him as much confidence as the AHL playing top line minutes. He seems hesitant to shoot the puck. Even given a prime scoring chance in the slot, he looks to pass. To me that shows a lack of confidence. He looked really good his first game, and kind of slumped after that. You move Skille to his spot, and suddenly that line looks a lot better.

Granted, he does look better between Calvert and Atkinson.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I have to disagree. He played in a foreign league with bigger ice, and that's all good, but I don't think playing here will give him as much confidence as the AHL playing top line minutes. He seems hesitant to shoot the puck. Even given a prime scoring chance in the slot, he looks to pass. To me that shows a lack of confidence. He looked really good his first game, and kind of slumped after that. You move Skille to his spot, and suddenly that line looks a lot better.

Granted, he does look better between Calvert and Atkinson.

When you have a rookie playing with two vets, he's more likely to look to pass first. Confidence comes with experience. Johansen was the exact same way in his first two seasons. I kept saying the same thing about him too. He just needs more confidence in himself and the points will follow, and sure enough he gained weight, and confidence in himself and well we all know the rest.

Playing in the AHL definitely shouldn't hurt his development but I'd rather him take on a similar role as Johansen in his first two seasons. Get use to the smaller rink, playing more physical, and learning to use his body more. Which obviously could be done in the AHL, but if he can do it against better competition it would benefit him more IMO

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

absolutely, 100% agree. He is not ready.

But I'll say this, he has shown some great instincts, he's going to be a very good NHL forward.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
And I could see him going back over the pond if he stays down in the AHL for any amount of time. Might be one of the situations where we just have to suck it up and develop him at this level.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And I could see him going back over the pond if he stays down in the AHL for any amount of time. Might be one of the situations where we just have to suck it up and develop him at this level.

What?! He's already said he was going to do whatever management told him to make it to get to the NHL, and I don't think they want him going back to the SHL. His dream to play in the NHL, I don't think we need to worry about him going back over at all...if he does the it'd be Filatov pt 2. He would have fooled everybody in the FO.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Oh please. Talk to him after spending 40 games on buses making jack.

If he wants go play professional hockey in the NHL making serious money, then he will suck it up. If he does go back over JK and JD seriously misjudged his character...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Oh please. Talk to him after spending 40 games on buses making jack.

He's going to be making $70,000 and he's 20 years old. Most 20 year olds can get by on 70k, I would think. LOL

I'll assume that he isn't an idiot and knows there's a minor league apprenticeship period for most NHL players.

The AHL travel schedule isn't that bad from Springfield. Longer trips are by air.

Unlike the quoted poster, I'll assume that he isn't an unrealistic, spoiled prima donna.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Uhh... no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad