Alexander Wennberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

johals73

Oct 2, 2014
What do you all think. Is Wennberg a keeper with the big club all season. Or is he gonna get sent down when/if Jenner and Horton comes back. I certainly think so!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What do you all think. Is Wennberg a keeper with the big club all season. Or is he gonna get sent down when/if Jenner and Horton comes back. I certainly think so!

When Jenner and Dubi come back we have some real tough decisions to make if Wennberg and Dano keep playing like that. Its a good problem to have, but we'll see what happens.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If he earns the spot he can stay. He looked good, but not as good as Rimer was over exaggerating when he gushed about the play he made a blind pass on a 2 on 1 that was blocked by the defenders stick, but apparently to Rimer the turn over was the Stanley Cup winning goal.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Honestly he looked like one of the better players on the ice, great positioning, great passing. If he continues to play like that, theres no decision to make. Most likely we always have a couple players out with injury regardless:naughty:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
If he earns the spot he can stay. He looked good, but not as good as Rimer was over exaggerating when he gushed about the play he made a blind pass on a 2 on 1 that was blocked by the defenders stick, but apparently to Rimer the turn over was the Stanley Cup winning goal.

Are you accusing Jeffrey of homerism? :sarcasm:

Dano and Wennberg looked good last night, lets see where they after 10 games. Skille and Chaput looked good to FWIW.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
See, there's homerism, and then there's just flat out stupidity! Its the thing that always killed me with Davidge.......he came from radio where he had to describe things that the listener couldnt see and dressed it up for excitement. Then he came to tv and tried to do the same thing, although the difference is we actually saw what happened, and many times it wasnt what he described :laugh:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

First I'd replace Horton with Dubi in that sentence, because I don't think Horton is coming back this year at all. I don't really worry about whether he is a keeper in 5 weeks when those two come back, because we are playing in the NHL where injuries are unfortunately fairly common. I imagine he will stay up here all season IF he plays good like last night, but we were playing Buffalo. The last thing I imagine we do is keep bouncing him between the AHL and NHL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
When Jenner and Dubi come back we have some real tough decisions to make if Wennberg and Dano keep playing like that. Its a good problem to have, but we'll see what happens.

I know why you, and others, would say this, but it is really easy for me. You absolutely keep Dano and Wennberg if they continue to play close to the way they played last night.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know why you, and others, would say this, but it is really easy for me. You absolutely keep Dano and Wennberg if they continue to play close to the way they played last night.

no doubt I agree, but who goes out? Everyone played well last night, and its easy to say put guys like Skille and Boll out of the lineup, but if the team is meshing, then the team is meshing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

But only if they can get adequate minutes. It is going to be an interesting decision if the time comes when we have 16 healthy bodies.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
See, there's homerism, and then there's just flat out stupidity! Its the thing that always killed me with Davidge.......he came from radio where he had to describe things that the listener couldnt see and dressed it up for excitement. Then he came to tv and tried to do the same thing, although the difference is we actually saw what happened, and many times it wasnt what he described :laugh:

This may not be the appropriate place to respond. I think you are a bit hard on Davidge. He is a very honest and plain spoken guy who pretty much describes what he sees. He has been a college player, college hockey coach and an NHL scout. He is extremely knowledgeable.

johals73

Oct 2, 2014
Thanks guys for the imput. It seems that he has impressed the club, and that he is ready to play in Columbus. He's to valuable to be stuck on the fourth line or in the stands when Dubi, Jenner and Horton comes back. So if he's not in the top nine, obviously you have to send him down. Maybe the bold move is to trade someone to make room for him. It's a tough call, because we all know rookies seldom has the consistency like a veteran. Glad I don't have to make that decision!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
no doubt I agree, but who goes out? Everyone played well last night, and its easy to say put guys like Skille and Boll out of the lineup, but if the team is meshing, then the team is meshing.

Boll is first and you work your way from there. I mean is there really any debate if we are a better team with Wennberg or Boll in the lineup, for example?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Jenner and Dubi come back and we don't have anymore injuries, then the most straightforward thing is to send Dano down and scratch Boller.

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Anisimov-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubinsky- Jenner
Chaput-Letestu-Skille

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't want to get to far a head of ourselves

but I did see something that looks repeatable on Skille's goal. That few seconds of hockey was why Chicago drafted his so high in the first place- now he just needs to do that about 25 more times this year.

Wennberg has a calmness with the puck that makes his play very smooth, I am already a fan of his, & I haven't seen him play that much yet.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
but I did see something that looks repeatable on Skille's goal. That few seconds of hockey was why Chicago drafted his so high in the first place- now he just needs to do that about 25 more times this year.
Skille certainly has 15-20 goal potential in my eyes, if properly utilized; but it will be damn near impossible to achieve with a small amount of ice time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Jenner and Dubi come back and we don't have anymore injuries, then the most straightforward thing is to send Dano down and scratch Boller.

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Hartnell-Anisimov-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubinsky- Jenner
Chaput-Letestu-Skille

Aaaand not so straightforward after all. Its really going to come down to how folks play over the next month. I wouldn't put Calvert on the 4th, so whoever is behind between Dano and Wennberg I'd send down. Any alternatives to that?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Well, one thing that appears to be pretty certain, Gibbons is probably going to hit the waiver wire and (hopefully) find his way down to Springfield. And I wouldn't be buying a whole lotta stock in Corey Tropp either.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wennberg had a tough game today, but he was playing against a good team and wasn't getting ANY shelter in his minutes. Considering it was his second game and he saw 16 minutes of ice time in all situations, I thought he did ok. I certainly didn't notice any of the rookies as being "the rookies."

I think he needs to score a goal and get some confidence.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Wennberg had a tough game today, but he was playing against a good team and wasn't getting ANY shelter in his minutes. Considering it was his second game and he saw 16 minutes of ice time in all situations, I thought he did ok. I certainly didn't notice any of the rookies as being "the rookies."

I think he needs to score a goal and get some confidence.

I agree. I thought Wennberg was fine; didn't look out of place. He wasn't as good as he was in Buffalo, but for a rookie I think we're in good shape there.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
at least thru 2nd period i believe he had the most TOI ...he's making a mark...

And quietly. Just like Rimer was saying in the broadcast similar to Murray, his intelligence is his greatest asset. He does all the small things and does them really well, while never being to flashy. He's not going to stand out to the average hockey fan, but to players and coaches he's the kind of player they key in on. :yo: :yo:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
My post from "The Kids Are Alright" thread.

Lot of people thought Wennberg did not have a good game last night, but I disagree a little. I think he was sorta quiet, but played a smart game. He looked to me like he was trying to play smart and try not to make mistakes.

It is sort of typical when they take these natural centers and put them on a wing to acclimate them to the NHL. We have seen this before. I thought he was good on the fore-check, made good passes, and did not make any glaring mistakes.

This kid is going to be something when he is back in his natural position, and is fully acclimated to NHL play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad