Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
That's Ovi's closest friend on the team, both Russians. I think Ovi if was traded he would want Kuzy to go with him. The guy that got him a ladder to scale his electric gate in the powerout.

A package of Ovi+Kuzy would be marketable also for the GM. The return would likely be massive.

Wow.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If Ovi doesn't get it done, I'd pick Trotz over Ovi. Tired of the eternal coaching change, Trotz did everything he could to set him up for success. It's up to him to perform, no excuses.

My guess is that we'll lose in the 2nd round again, Ovechkin will finish his contracts with the Caps 5 years from now and he'll leave for another team to try to win or go to Russia.

Or he signs a 1year/2-3M contract with Caps, to allow them to get another star player:dunno:

PS. If we are out again in the second round, I'd love to see Bruce back to coach this team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Or he signs a 1year/2-3M contract with Caps, to allow them to get another star player:dunno:

PS. If we are out again in the second round, I'd love to see Bruce back to coach this team.

At one point, Ovi will have to become a secondary player on this team. We'll need someone else leading the charge. Right now it's the Nicky/Oshie/Kuzy trio but in 5 years it could be something else.

I don't want to see Bruce again, Trotz is a better coach.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Ovi's lead the team in playoff points every year but one (2012-13)

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't perform close to that level again.

But I do agree that it's worrying how quickly he might be trending downward.

Who performs and who doesn't will matter when it comes to deciding who I'd want to see go if we don't make it past the second round again.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

Who performs and who doesn't will matter when it comes to deciding who I'd want to see go if we don't make it past the second round again.

I still have to believe he is fighting an injury. Sure he is slowing down but your game just doesn't fall off a cliff.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver

It seems like this season he isn't really trying 100%. Saving it all for the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It seems like this season he isn't really trying 100%. Saving it all for the playoffs.

None of us here think he's saving anything for the playoffs. Yes his ice time has been reduced but his cold streak had nothing to do with saving himself for the playoffs.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
None of us here think he's saving anything for the playoffs. Yes his ice time has been reduced but his cold streak had nothing to do with saving himself for the playoffs.

This is your year, better hope he's saving himself. Because in the Ovechkin Era it is very unlikely you will ever get a team this good again.

Ovechkin is still a beast and just wait, he will turn it up for playoffs.

One shot and one opportunity, hopefully the caps can run with it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is your year, better hope he's saving himself. Because in the Ovechkin Era it is very unlikely you will ever get a team this good again.

Ovechkin is still a beast and just wait, he will turn it up for playoffs.

One shot and one opportunity, hopefully the caps can run with it.

We'll see how it goes. Him getting his game back would be priority #1 right now. Then, on the side, the integration of Shattenkirk needs to go as smoothly as possible. Despite his suspension, I'd say it's been good so far.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
We'll see how it goes. Him getting his game back would be priority #1 right now. Then, on the side, the integration of Shattenkirk needs to go as smoothly as possible. Despite his suspension, I'd say it's been good so far.

Washington reminds me of the 2011 Canucks. Hopefully they don't turtle in the final like we did though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Washington reminds me of the 2011 Canucks. Hopefully they don't turtle in the final like we did though.

We're a good team but the recent losing streak just planted a seed of doubt in my mind. History isn't kind to the Caps, and even if we were by far the best team in the league, the odds of winning the Cup never exceed 30% for a PT winning team.

I don't think your team turtled in the final. Boston was healthier and Thomas was playing out of his mind. On paper, the Canucks were the best team that year. Despite the injuries, it came down to game 7 for the Cup.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
We're a good team but the recent losing streak just planted a seed of doubt in my mind. History isn't kind to the Caps, and even if we were by far the best team in the league, the odds of winning the Cup never exceed 30% for a PT winning team.

I don't think your team turtled in the final. Boston was healthier and Thomas was playing out of his mind. On paper, the Canucks were the best team that year. Despite the injuries, it came down to game 7 for the Cup.

We needed a bit more push back. Look, I think it'll be bad for hockey if the caps don't win this year. Ovi needs a cup.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We needed a bit more push back. Look, I think it'll be bad for hockey if the caps don't win this year. Ovi needs a cup.

From your mouth to God's ears. This Caps team is under unprecedented levels of pressure. Everybody knows this is the last chance, especially Ovi. Typically, the Caps don't handle pressure very well, but I think if we can break through the Pittsburgh/2nd round barrier, the psychological boost will give the Caps all the momentum.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
From your mouth to God's ears. This Caps team is under unprecedented levels of pressure. Everybody knows this is the last chance, especially Ovi. Typically, the Caps don't handle pressure very well, but I think if we can break through the Pittsburgh/2nd round barrier, the psychological boost will give the Caps all the momentum.

You guys got this. But if you play Ottawa, I gotta root for them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think if we can break through the Pittsburgh/2nd round barrier, the psychological boost will give the Caps all the momentum.

The Caps also don't handle the advantage very well. Beating the Penguins in the 2nd round will be followed immediately by a let down based on finally getting over the hump. All it takes is stopping to take a breath and a bad break in game 2 and you are down 2-0.

Even if they win in the 2nd round, they will need a rival in the 3rd round to be able to focus on them. Rangers or Habs or Bruins

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovie is the man. Check out the skates he's going to wear for Russian Heritage Night on Thursday vs CBJ.

i

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
11-12 was the #1 stinker. This his 3rd worst for me as a fan, only numbed by the team success and the fact that's he's put up 2 previous stinker seasons (by his standards).

I love regular season MVP-level performances as a fan. I can't help myself. It sucks because I believe if he were traded it would give him a kick in the ass and he'd have at least 2 badass seasons again.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
11-12 was the #1 stinker. This his 3rd worst for me as a fan, only numbed by the team success and the fact that's he's put up 2 previous stinker seasons (by his standards).

I love regular season MVP-level performances as a fan. I can't help myself. It sucks because I believe if he were traded it would give him a kick in the ass and he'd have at least 2 badass seasons again.

Or you can pray for him to win the Cup this year so that it restores his drive to be the best. See, that's what changed about Ovi. When he was young, he simply wanted to be the best player in the world and he was. Since 2011, I feel like he's okay with not being the best player in the world anymore.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I dunno....I see him turning more into a team guy this season than he ever has in any other season. Thats enjoyable to watch to me. Scoring a ton of goals is nice...but becoming a true captain and teammate...and hopefully winner...that means more to his legacy to me.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I dunno....I see him turning more into a team guy this season than he ever has in any other season. Thats enjoyable to watch to me. Scoring a ton of goals is nice...but becoming a true captain and teammate...and hopefully winner...that means more to his legacy to me.

Amen. What else does he have to prove as an individual offensive player? And really, who cares where he ends up in the career goal-scoring stats? He's outpaced everyone in era-adjusted terms already.

Now it's about team success.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still have to believe he is fighting an injury. Sure he is slowing down but your game just doesn't fall off a cliff.

* Teams really stepped up their focus on Ov on the PP. Much more one on one coverage and assigned PK players standing in his shooting lanes.

* Ovechkin is shooting the one timer less and catching and wrist shooting more often.

* He is passing in shooting situations as he did with Oshie last game. In the past he shoots that 100% of the time.

point one had to come at some time and results show that slowing Ov down is not slowing the pp down.

points two and three could be sign of an injury and could be the result of him trying to evolve his game.

He did the Oshie goal pass in the middle of an 11 shot on goal full court press to score a goal. 11 shots on goal including one timers seems to indicate now that it doesn't hurt him to shoot the puck anymore. Even with that he still passed up a great shot for a pass.

I am thinking that he is working on reworking his game. When opposing PK assigns him one on one coverage, he doesn't fight it and skates that player out of the play. When the pk stands a player in his shooting lane, he is no longer forcing the shot.
Isabelle points out that the first line ice time is ramping up. Trotz has his season long programs and Ov might be working a Trotz program. Less ice time. Less shooting. More passing. More defense.

Tonight might just be an Ov kind of game. Backstrom and Oshie should be stoked

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This is what Ive been thinking. There has been no sign of him being unhappy with his reduced ice time. He had a pass on a two one one with Oshie not too long ago. Right in his shooting spot and when the dman committed he sauced a pass to Oshie for a layup.

I cant discount that this has been part of the plan all season. I have a feeling we are going to see bull in a china shop Ov tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad