Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Obviously we won so it doesn't matter but every single year someone thinks Ovechkin will kick it up a notch for the playoffs. It never happens. He plays at his regular level.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Obviously we won so it doesn't matter but every single year someone thinks Ovechkin will kick it up a notch for the playoffs. It never happens. He plays at his regular level.

Dude has led the team in scoring seven out of the eight years we've been in the playoffs.

82 points in 85 playoff games.

Backstrom is second in points in that time with 62 points in 84 games.

Our problem in year's past has been secondary scoring.

If we don't need him to be a force every game then good.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Dude has led the team in scoring seven out of the eight years we've been in the playoffs.

82 points in 85 playoff games.

Backstrom is second in points in that time with 62 points in 84 games.

Our problem in year's past has been secondary scoring.

If we don't need him to be a force every game then good.

8 and 19 were terrible tonight. They have had mixed results in past playoffs but tonight they were awful. Only thing that matters is the present and they sucked and were unprepared.. that is on Trotz and them

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
8 and 19 were terrible tonight. They have had mixed results in past playoffs but tonight they were awful. Only thing that matters is the present and they sucked and were unprepared.. that is on Trotz and them

Agreed.

I was adressing the point that Ovi has never raised his level in the playoffs.

They will need to step up if we have a chance at the cup.

I'm just happy they don't have to all the time now.

Jun 15, 2007
Agreed.

I was adressing the point that Ovi has never raised his level in the playoffs.

They will need to step up if we have a chance at the cup.

I'm just happy they don't have to all the time now.

How is that raising his level? That's just his regular level. Below actually.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I just don't understand why this team cant get up for a big game. Year after year they just always come out flat. A lot of things have come and gone while the captain is still the same. Is OV part of this problem?

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
How is that raising his level? That's just his regular level. Below actually.

He's fifth among active players in playoff ppg.

Third among active players in playoff gpg.

Btw scoring goes down for everyone in the playoffs.

The Capitals have scored 210 goals in the playoffs in the Ovechkin era during the playoffs.

Ovechkin has a point on 39% on those goals.

McDavid had a point 40.5% of the Oilers goals this season and he'll be the runaway winner for MVP this season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How many coaches will be blamed for players "not showing up"....not that I agree with that assessment btw....off games happen. Not like they were coasting out there.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Leafs fan here. I've been a Washington fan for most of the past decade, because my first choice team has obviously not been so good. So I've seen a lot of Washington, and I've closely followed every playoff run since the 07-08 season, but this season less so because the Leafs are finally respectable.

What the hell is wrong with AO this season? Is he injured? Maybe a chronic lower body injury of some kind? The Caps are so deep that they can win a President's Trophy despite, but Alex does not look right.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, he doesn't look right. He looks slow and his one-timers have gone MIA. He's got just wristers these days. Have no idea what's going on with him.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Zdeno Chara and Nicklas Lidstrom. I don't see what citizenship has to do with winning the Stanley Cup.

nice find, that boston team had seidenberg, chara+2 chechz in it.

let me help you to see that citizenship has something to do with winning or losing the stanley cup.
merging as a team has something to do with winning. i think thats pretty clear to all people.
its easier to merge with same cultural background. wouldnt you agree ? so most of the time the citizenship dictates the cultural back round. its not about simply learning the language... it may be ok for a 0815 job but to lead as a foreigner u have to adapt more than that if u expect a team full of different people to follow you.

lets look at ovechkins adaptation to the us

- lived or lives most of his time with his parents in the us
- his agents are his parents
- he dates only russian woman, currently married to some model or something
- goes "home" to moscow every year

in my opinion he is divided by his homeland culture where he is himself (off the ice), that he didnt exchange while living over 10 years in the us, i think as a normal person you would do that. in the culture change he has to captain a nhl club full of north americans.

ovechkin didnt really fail as a hockey player, he just failed as a captain of an nhl club. its an every day job, not just as long as the season goes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

let me help you to see that citizenship has something to do with winning or losing the stanley cup.
merging as a team has something to do with winning.
i think thats pretty clear to all people.
its easier to merge with same cultural background. wouldnt you agree ? so most of the time the citizenship dictates the cultural back round. its not about simply learning the language... it may be ok for a 0815 job but to lead as a foreigner u have to adapt more than that if u expect a team full of different people to follow you.

in my opinion he is divided by his homeland culture where he is himself (off the ice), that he didnt exchange while living over 10 years in the us, i think as a normal person you would do that. in the culture change he has to captain a nhl club full of north americans.

ovechkin didnt really fail as a hockey player, he just failed as a captain of an nhl club. its an every day job, not just as long as the season goes.

This Russian dude carried his team to the Stanley Cup. His English is barely understandable, he also lived with his parents for a while and home is the city of Magnitogorsk.

3620816607_bb438dcd2b.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

merging as a team has something to do with winning. i think thats pretty clear to all people.

Let's clarify something...are you saying Russians can't be good captains or just that someone from ANY nationality is going to have trouble being a leader if they don't, in your estimation, blend into the culture cleanly enough? Say for example a Canadian as a captain of a KHL team?

(also this is borderline for being topical so it may be moved or just removed)

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
This Russian dude carried his team to the Stanley Cup. His English is barely understandable, he also lived with his parents for a while and home is the city of Magnitogorsk.

3620816607_bb438dcd2b.jpg

a lot of foreign players carried teams production wise to cups, that is not my point. malkin is not and never was the main guy off the ice, his role is behind crosby. did ovy ever had a north american captain that matched him production wise on his side ? crosby allows a guy like malkin to operate in the shadows while he takes the blame/heat/attention away.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby pulls hair, acts like a poor sport, whines, and deliberately hits people in the nuts with his stick from behind.

This is leadership. Huh.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Crosby pulls hair, acts like a poor sport, whines, and deliberately hits people in the nuts with his stick from behind.

This is leadership. Huh.

If the Crosby and OV conversation was close before it’s not anymore. And you can make a case it never should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille