Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So they should extend a contract that according to you, "they shouldn't have signed what they collectively bargained.." just to go to the Olympics? Or, so that 50 players can go to the Olympics?

They collectively bargained it. suck it up. You have to give to get in business.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They could, but if it was going to start with an extension of the current CBA, then it was a non-starter. If I put my house on the market for $450K, and you come and offer $100K, do you really think I am going to bother with a counter-offer?

Same thing happened in the NFL. Owners brought up changing the schedule to 18 regular season games and 2 pre-season games. Players walked out of the meeting as it is a non-starter and they are not willing to consider it.

Selling your house at 350k below market is costing you $ directly out of your pocket and is a financial loss. They're quite fairly compensated. Extending the existing CBA that they all agreed on simply extends the agreement, doesn't make it worse. In fact, it ensures that there won't be a work stoppage for a while longer, extending financial stability for all.

You completely downplay the impact to the league, its schedule, and partners, as if that's an afterthought financially. Sounds like you're a players only supporter. I myself support both sides having a relationship where both profit. That means both sides make concessions at times. Both will certainly need to make them here if NHL players are going to play.

Not even a counter proposal from them. Poor negotiating form.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Selling your house at 350k below market is costing you $ directly out of your pocket and is a financial loss. They're quite fairly compensated. Extending the existing CBA that they all agreed on simply extends the agreement, doesn't make it worse. In fact, it ensures that there won't be a work stoppage for a while longer, extending financial stability for all.

You completely downplay the impact to the league, its schedule, and partners, as if that's an afterthought financially. Sounds like you're a players only supporter. I myself support both sides having a relationship where both profit. That means both sides make concessions at times. Both will certainly need to make them here if NHL players are going to play.

Not even a counter proposal from them. Poor negotiating form.
Whether they are well paid or not doesn't matter. There is a huge pie, they want their share and right now they do not feel like they are getting their fair share. There have been 3 lockouts in the past 25 years. All 3 times, the CBA was seen as a huge win for the owners. A few years later, the owners were whining about all the changes they made. The CBA as it is, they feel is costing them money out of their pocket. I get it, you like NHL'ers in the Olympics, or at the very least as a Caps fan, you want a happy Ovie. Secondly, for you to say they should have just extended the deal tells me you are not about both sides being profitable, you just want labor peace at any cost. I understand that as a fan, I don't want a lockout either. However, I am not going to put blame on the players when it is obvious the owners were trying to strong-arm them into extending a deal when they want changes.

Like I said, if extending the deal was out of the question on the player's side, they a counter-proposal would be a useless endeavor.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Whether they are well paid or not doesn't matter. There is a huge pie, they want their share and right now they do not feel like they are getting their fair share. There have been 3 lockouts in the past 25 years. All 3 times, the CBA was seen as a huge win for the owners. A few years later, the owners were whining about all the changes they made. The CBA as it is, they feel is costing them money out of their pocket. I get it, you like NHL'ers in the Olympics, or at the very least as a Caps fan, you want a happy Ovie. Secondly, for you to say they should have just extended the deal tells me you are not about both sides being profitable, you just want labor peace at any cost. I understand that as a fan, I don't want a lockout either. However, I am not going to put blame on the players when it is obvious the owners were trying to strong-arm them into extending a deal when they want changes.

Like I said, if extending the deal was out of the question on the player's side, they a counter-proposal would be a useless endeavor.

It matters with regards to your housing example. The two are not the same.

"At any cost"....its not like the current system hasn't made the league flourish. We're about to expand. So yeah, I guess if you wan't to lump me in the "anti-lockout/strike" group....that's fine by me.

The owners are you know...the OWNERS. They should get to dictate some things to their employees. Not even bothering to counter is not negotiating in good faith. In fact...it's a child's move. "we'll take our ball and run home"....

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I'm not necessarily of the opinion that the PA should have done something. I do wonder though, if the top two issues the PA reportedly has are the Olympics and Escrow, then why not try to engage the NHL with something like the PA is willing to accept a CBA extension in return for the Olympics and a change to reduce the impact of Escrow on players?

Not proposing any particular Escrow solution, I'm sure there are methods each side would prefer more then the other. Would think if the PA could get their two hot issues addressed then extending the CBA might not be a bad thing.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It matters with regards to your housing example. The two are not the same.

"At any cost"....its not like the current system hasn't made the league flourish. We're about to expand. So yeah, I guess if you wan't to lump me in the "anti-lockout/strike" group....that's fine by me.

The owners are you know...the OWNERS. They should get to dictate some things to their employees. Not even bothering to counter is not negotiating in good faith. In fact...it's a child's move. "we'll take our ball and run home"....

You completely missed the point on the housing example. I wrote that in response to you saying "the PA didn't even make a counter-offer." My point is if their first offer is a non-starter, then an counter-offer is pointless. Like I said, if you come offer me $100K, I am not going to bother responding.

Yes, the owners are I know, THE OWNERS. However, they do not get to DICTATE anything. The employees, and in this case the product, have rights as well and that is why we have collective bargaining. They are not interested in extending the CBA, not sure why that is so hard to understand.

However, we are getting way off topic here and there are a million threads on the various boards about the issue. I came here originally to see if any Caps fans and commented on Ovie's thoughts and was curious what they were thinking. I mean, this is you know the thread for Ovechkin, not for the NHLPA.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You completely missed the point on the housing example. I wrote that in response to you saying "the PA didn't even make a counter-offer." My point is if their first offer is a non-starter, then an counter-offer is pointless. Like I said, if you come offer me $100K, I am not going to bother responding.

Yes, the owners are I know, THE OWNERS. However, they do not get to DICTATE anything. The employees, and in this case the product, have rights as well and that is why we have collective bargaining. They are not interested in extending the CBA, not sure why that is so hard to understand.

However, we are getting way off topic here and there are a million threads on the various boards about the issue. I came here originally to see if any Caps fans and commented on Ovie's thoughts and was curious what they were thinking. I mean, this is you know the thread for Ovechkin, not for the NHLPA.

To answer your original, we don't care right now because the playoffs are starting soon and Ovi wanting to go the Olympics is the least of our concerns. Other than that, we understand his motivation and wouldn't be upset if he left the team for the Olympics.

Obviously, pulling a Kovalchuk would be off-limits, but Ovechkin ain't like that, he will never quit on the Caps.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's remember this is a Player Discussion thread for Alexander Ovechkin on HFCaps, not a Business of Hockey thread. ;)

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I see no point in debating the Ovi to Olympics question at length at the moment as I'm pretty sure Ovi isn't going if it's only by himself (=the sole star+ level active NHL player) and if many notable players will join him the NHL has to have a rethink, and they (the NHL) likely haven't said their last word on the matter anyway. Also, the playoffs are starting and the Caps' postseason fate will have some effect on what Ovi ultimately decides.

If Ovi was one of a handful NHLers in the Olympics at the most, the hypothetical gold would surely have an asterisk next to it when it'd be viewed later, although there surely is value playing in the Olympics and winning there, period.

Even given the status of the Olympic arena I'm a bit surprised by Ovi's persistence on participating. I guess it's about that unsatisfiable need for redemption. He's been to three OG's, all best on best, while being an integral part and one of the leaders in all of them and coming up empty. The 2014 games at home soil were a dream come true and a ridiculous mental and PR investment by the Russians yet they flopped. I mean, it was never going to get better than that. Now at 31 Ovi is nearing the end of his physical and athletic prime and Russia's NT has less overall talent by my estimation (NHL-wise, I guess their KHL stars would disagree). Well, not sure what I mean by all this, maybe that the ship has sailed? Better to have full focus on the NHL success as the cup window won't be there for many more years.

Anyway, I really hope Ovechkin has an extra gear that he can turn on once the postseason starts and the Caps demolish whoever gets in their way on route to the cup and we get to return to the Olympic subject with an eternity awaited championship celebrations freshly in our minds!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The 2014 games at home soil were a dream come true and a ridiculous mental and PR investment by the Russians yet they flopped.

Well, hardly flopped. Just got what was fair. Russia was worse than CAN, SWE, FIN and USA. Period.

Coaching, defense, two way play - were lacking. There is disappointment, but many ppl predicted just that result.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
When looking back on the career Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin has had, it’s easy to forget that he’s human. He has seven 50-goal seasons under his belt. He’s accumulated over a point-per-game in nine of his twelve seasons in the NHL (4 of those being 100 point seasons). It’s easy to look at those stats and assume he’s a Russian machine. For the most part, he’s been exactly that. This season, however, has shown everybody that Alexander Ovechkin is human after all.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/04/10/alexander-ovechkin-human-thats-okay/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think if anyone thinks they know what is going on with Ovechkin, they are lying to themselves. All I know is that he is captain of a team that had it won the cup last year and win this year, would be considered one of the greatest teams of all time. Their record the last two seasons are now being compared to the Scotty Bowman 1970's Canadiens which played in a decidedly non-parity league.

If they win this season, they may still be considered as such.

I have given up speculating on the change in his numbers. They are down and he seems just fine with it. He is neither forcing things or acting frustrated. The only thing I am willing to guess about it is that it has something to do with Trotz and his influence on him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Apathy scares me more than aging.....he's been seemingly disinterested for most of the season, and this isn't the first season we've seen that.

I just worry about the fire fading when I see him not making his usual impact each night. Again, I think he's been "instructed" to "save himself", so maybe this is what we get from him the rest of his contract.

As long as he can flip the switch starting Thurs night....All will be right.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There hasn't been any apathy in his game for the past 2 weeks, he's hitting everything in sight, battling for the puck, making nice passes and taking wrist shots more often than a month ago. Not worried about Ovi. An angry Ovi is a danger for the opposition.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Limited minutes most of the season should start paying dividends in a couple days. I can't wait.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The greatest trick Ovechkin ever played was to convince the League he didn't exist

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
18 year old Ovechkin

Not sure how many of you are subscribed to the Olympic channel on youtube, but they have a segment with athletes that shows footage and interviews of athletes before they became the stars they are today.

I'm sure most of you Caps fans have seen a lot of this footage already but I figured for those who haven't this might be interesting to watch. Also make sure to turn on the closed captioning if you don't understand Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad