Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
So if the only way Ovechkin can go is by terminating his contract...you would all be okay with that?

I am not bashing the guy at all. I am just curious to see how the Caps fans feel about that possibility.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So if the only way Ovechkin can go is by terminating his contract...you would all be okay with that?

I am not bashing the guy at all. I am just curious to see how the Caps fans feel about that possibility.

This seems like a pointless hypothetical.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Rangers fan coming in peace.

I believe Ovechkin is dead serious about going with or without the NHL's approval. Just not sure if he understands the legal side here. Secondly, I question if the IIHF/IOC will allow him to play.

If and I mean IF, his only choice is to skip Olympics or retire from the NHL and then play in the Olympics, will you still be on his side as a Caps fan? Remember, he can't just retire for a year or even a few weeks and then "un-retire" and return. If he wanted to take a year off and return after Olympics or the following season, he has to clear waivers or wait 4 years.

Again, genuinely interested in persepective here, not looking to start a **** show.

For the record, until I see the NHL schedule without an Olympic break scheduled for February of 2018, then I still believe there is a chance the NHL goes and it is all for naught.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This seems like a pointless hypothetical.
In the sense that it's extremely unlikely that Leonsis would agree upon a mutually terminated contract, absolutely. The more likely scenario would be Ovechkin simply returning to Russia and either retiring ala Datsyuk or having FHR and the KHL overlook his existing NHL contract. There is no official NHL/KHL transfer agreement IINM, just "an understanding."

In any event I don't think Ovechkin or Leonsis thought this through very much. There are regulations in place that make it more complicated than whatever someone wants to do. There are governing bodies that will have their say.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
It won't come to that, they'll find an agreement. Cooler heads will prevail.
I'm having a hard time seeing what kind of agreement that would be. Unless you think that the NHL will be going to the Olympics after all, I can't see any other way Ovechkin participates unless he retires from the NHL. And that would require that the Capitals agree to end the contract - not sure they would be willing to do that. Could get ugly if he's dead set on going.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can't see any other way Ovechkin participates unless he retires from the NHL. And that would require that the Capitals agree to end the contract - not sure they would be willing to do that. Could get ugly if he's dead set on going.

there are so many variables. Do you honestly think the NHL is willing to run the greatest goal scorer of his generation, who is less than 150 goals from 700 goals, out of the league over this? They will not want to force it to that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Rangers fan coming in peace.

I believe Ovechkin is dead serious about going with or without the NHL's approval. Just not sure if he understands the legal side here. Secondly, I question if the IIHF/IOC will allow him to play.

If and I mean IF, his only choice is to skip Olympics or retire from the NHL and then play in the Olympics, will you still be on his side as a Caps fan? Remember, he can't just retire for a year or even a few weeks and then "un-retire" and return. If he wanted to take a year off and return after Olympics or the following season, he has to clear waivers or wait 4 years.

Again, genuinely interested in persepective here, not looking to start a **** show.

For the record, until I see the NHL schedule without an Olympic break scheduled for February of 2018, then I still believe there is a chance the NHL goes and it is all for naught.

There's a whole lot to digest here. Would the Caps be on the hook for Ovie's contract if he retired? Have the Caps already won a Cup? How does Ovie look in two years? Too many hypotheticals to answer that very specific question, but I would probably still support him. He's done his part and paid his dues for this franchise.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
There's a whole lot to digest here. Would the Caps be on the hook for Ovie's contract if he retired? Have the Caps already won a Cup? How does Ovie look in two years? Too many hypotheticals to answer that very specific question, but I would probably still support him. He's done his part and paid his dues for this franchise.

They won't have to pay him for the rest of the contract, but there could be some "recapture" cap hits. If his contract was front-loaded, and they have paid him more in actual dollars, then have been applied to the cap, then they could be a penalty.

For example, if the AAV (cap hit) was $8MM, but he was paid $9MM in each of the first 3 years, then there is $3MM that hasn't been applied to the cap and would hit as dead money. Although, off the top of my head, not sure how it is applied, if it is spread out or all at once.

2 years? He may have to make a decision this summer. The Olympics come next season. Not sure he'd be able to start season with Caps and then retire in February. Well, I guess he could, but then the NHL might try to stop him from playing.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Ovechkin's contract wasn't front loaded, there would be no penalties for the caps if he retired.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They won't have to pay him for the rest of the contract, but there could be some "recapture" cap hits. If his contract was front-loaded, and they have paid him more in actual dollars, then have been applied to the cap, then they could be a penalty.

For example, if the AAV (cap hit) was $8MM, but he was paid $9MM in each of the first 3 years, then there is $3MM that hasn't been applied to the cap and would hit as dead money. Although, off the top of my head, not sure how it is applied, if it is spread out or all at once.

2 years? He may have to make a decision this summer. The Olympics come next season. Not sure he'd be able to start season with Caps and then retire in February. Well, I guess he could, but then the NHL might try to stop him from playing.

Hahaha holy **** you are right, the Olympics are next winter already. Wow. Well it's either now or never for the Caps to win the Cup anyway, so Ovie can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
It would suck big time to see him go to K, but if that is the only way, im ok with it.

Ovie has given us and the whole world of hockey more than enough to deserve our respect for him and what he represents. He has also been true and honest of his passion to play for his country from day one. It is his dream to win olympic gold and this might very well be his last real chance to do so.

I have hard time seeing NHL punishing us with lost draft picks or a big fine. Maybe some penalty in caphit is possible. But for whatever it is, i will blame NHL, not Ovie. Im still hopeful they will come around though.

Please let him bring the Cup to Washington this year, and anything that follows is much easier to swallow..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not ok with it (premature NHL retirement). He's made his living here. I want him to play in the Olympics, but not at the cost of the rest of his Caps/NHL career. Win a Cup and we can work something out hopefully. If he's barred from competing..Not much to do....sadly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am sorry. I don't see it. The NHL forcing forcing a player with a realistic chance of scoring 800 goals and playing most of another decade in the league to retire over three weeks of Olympic competition. That's beyond cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not ok with it (premature NHL retirement). He's made his living here. I want him to play in the Olympics, but not at the cost of the rest of his Caps/NHL career. Win a Cup and we can work something out hopefully. If he's barred from competing..Not much to do....sadly.
I'm sure Leonsis wouldn't be okay with it either, particularly if they haven't won a Cup yet. Him bailing on the NHL altogether so that he personally can attend a non-best-on-best event would be BS. It's one thing to miss ten or so games and another to rearrange your career plans in order to attend. It would be a big blow to the NHL and the Caps obviously and maybe they're not done negotiating 100% but the Olympics aren't that important. I'd be surprised if there really was an exodus to the KHL by Russian/European players so that they, again, can attend what won't truly be best-on-best.

For me it should be all NHLers or none. Anything in between is garbage. Some leaving the NHL, even if temporarily, in order to compete? Definitely garbage.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure Leonsis isn't ok with it today. Next year if they're out of a playoff spot when this all starts, maybe not then. If they have a similar record to the last few years. I doubt he sweats the absence.

I agree though, it should be all or none. The group must decide, not a few big names.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I'm not sure Leonsis isn't ok with it today. Next year if they're out of a playoff spot when this all starts, maybe not then. If they have a similar record to the last few years. I doubt he sweats the absence.

I agree though, it should be all or none. The group must decide, not a few big names.
Won't matter what individual team owners have said, they will fall in line as they always do. If the board of directors says the NHL aren't going to the Olympics, no players under contract will. IIHF would suspend anyone from participating if they are in violation of their contract. That's why retirement would be the only option, and even that is a stretch.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Won't matter what individual team owners have said, they will fall in line as they always do. If the board of directors says the NHL aren't going to the Olympics, no players under contract will. IIHF would suspend anyone from participating if they are in violation of their contract. That's why retirement would be the only option, and even that is a stretch.

I was speaking to Leonsis personnel preference, not any contract restrictions, nor was I suggesting he has the power to "let" Ovy play.

We'll see, I still believe it will get worked out, making this all a waste of time.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin is not gonna retire and the NHL will let him go to the Olympics in exchange for a big fine and a suspension. They can't afford to have Ovi bolt to the KHL, he's a cash cow for the NHL and he makes the Caps profitable.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
How much is a gold medal worth to Ovie if its beating the scrub none NHL teams . Like that's a pretty weak way to finally get his gold.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nobody is irreplaceable at the league level.

The Washington Capitals franchise is 3 or 4 times more valuable than it was prior to drafting Ovechkin. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that the Caps' value went from $200M to nearly $700M.

The Caps and the NHL made a **** ton of money off the Ovechkin era Caps, they won't walk away from present and future revenue just because Ovi wants to go to the Olympics. It would be a terrible decision from a business POV.

They're not gonna send the Caps back to where it was pre-Ovechkin. The ticket sales would plummet without him.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Ovechkin is not gonna retire and the NHL will let him go to the Olympics in exchange for a big fine and a suspension. They can't afford to have Ovi bolt to the KHL, he's a cash cow for the NHL and he makes the Caps profitable.

I doubt Ovi would leave the NHL for the KHL. With the terrible Russian economy and currency values, he'd be earning a mere fraction of what he currently earns in the NHL. That's also the reason why you haven't lately seen a lot of Russian NHLers leave for the KHL. And I can guarantee you Kovalchuk is kicking himself right now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I doubt Ovi would leave the NHL for the KHL. With the terrible Russian economy and currency values, he'd be earning a mere fraction of what he currently earns in the NHL. That's also the reason why you haven't lately seen a lot of Russian NHLers leave for the KHL. And I can guarantee you Kovalchuk is kicking himself right now.

Kovalchuk isn't making pennies in the KHL, he's making the equivalent of $5.5M. Ovechkin makes $9.5M in the NHL, I'm sure he could get $6M or $7M from a KHL team if he wanted, although it wouldn't be from his boyhood team Dynamo Moscow. He would lose money from his North American sponsors though, but I don't think money is an issue for Ovi at this point.

Regardless, this KHL talk is nonsense, it's not gonna happen right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad