Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I am not sure he will be hailed as a hero. I do see somethings there though. Maybe Ov needs to speak for the team post game more often this playoffs. He looked like a leader there. He looked like our lovable Ov. Smiling and laughing and being polite. He stands up for his teammates. He stands up for his owner.

Might be that he starts a movement that ends in a players strike. If the players intend on going anyway, the league cant have that. They cant play games with all their stars gone. They also cant be see to be caving in. My hope is that NBC steps up and facilitates a deal with the IOC.

All that said, this clip is another reason we should be proud of our guy.

He'll be hailed as a hero by the fans if he can force the NHL to let players go to the Olympics.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well the media narrative on Ovechkin is forming already...

I'm not sure if Buccigross is in the minority or not but North American media can't wait to jump on Ovechkin whenever the opportunity presents itself.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kristen Shilton‏
Verified account
*@kristen_shilton 2h
2 hours ago

Replying to @kristen_shilton
Braden Holtby says he couldn't leave his team for #Olympics as things stand now. Biggest goal has always been winning a Stanley Cup

Team conflict here we go...

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Most of the media already hates him, (especially the hockey nationalist Canadians (ashamed of my country)) so this would just give more fuel for the fire.

Also, the NHL would look for payback. They'd really make his life miserable. :shakehead

The stupid thing is that hockey is a wonderful game and the NHL is bound and determined to ruin it. Grrr...

BTW...Just like when Crosby speared someone in the groin, there is no place to comment about the Olympics on NHL.com. When they don't like something that reflects badly on them, they just bury it. Hypocritical thugs. :rant:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He'll be hailed as a hero by the fans if he can force the NHL to let players go to the Olympics.

His support on the main boards is pretty thin so far. the media is already lining up against him. Its Ov. The Canadian media hates him and will take the opposite position.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure if Buccigross is in the minority or not but North American media can't wait to jump on Ovechkin whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Broadcaster for the World Cup takes viewpoint in favor of its relevance/importance. Shocker.

...and so you have FHR working hand-in-hand using this as an opportunity to try to strengthen the KHL. If the IIHF and governing bodies in each country comply with the NHL, as they've agreed, there's not much the players can do.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
His support on the main boards is pretty thin so far. the media is already lining up against him. Its Ov. The Canadian media hates him and will take the opposite position.

They'll sign a different tune when a star player on their team follows Ovi to the Olympics. Anyway, sometimes I'm ashamed of being Canadian. We say that we love our country and then we let corporate greed dictate what we should do instead of fighting back.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
So, **** the NHL.

Ovechkin bent over backwards to acclimate himself to the North American game, has done countless league promotional events, and is its most marketable star.

Despite this, many of its media higher-ups in Canada publicly slam the guy for being selfish, while groveling at the feet of the least liked player in the league, Sidney Crosby.

I repeat, **** the NHL.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So we're the league's bad guys and rebels. It will be interesting to see how the refs treat us in the playoffs. I bet the league doesn't like Ovi and Leonsis now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the nhl has never liked either of them. Leonsis pushed them to lead pro sports in the use of tech but they don't appreciate him. Its probably because he is a geek.

They never liked Ov either. he stole Crosby's Calder at the start and its been downhill since. Cant wait to hear Don Cherry's rip of Ov on saturday

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
the nhl has never liked either of them. Leonsis pushed them to lead pro sports in the use of tech but they don't appreciate him. Its probably because he is a geek.

They never liked Ov either. he stole Crosby's Calder at the start and its been downhill since. Cant wait to hear Don Cherry's rip of Ov on saturday

Imagine if we win this year. Can you picture Bettman's face when he is getting booed by the fans and he has to hand the Cup over to Ovi?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Most of the media already hates him, (especially the hockey nationalist Canadians (ashamed of my country)) so this would just give more fuel for the fire.

Also, the NHL would look for payback. They'd really make his life miserable. :shakehead

The stupid thing is that hockey is a wonderful game and the NHL is bound and determined to ruin it. Grrr...

BTW...Just like when Crosby speared someone in the groin, there is no place to comment about the Olympics on NHL.com. When they don't like something that reflects badly on them, they just bury it. Hypocritical thugs. :rant:

But I thought that America was the country of freedom? :sarcasm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Imagine if we win this year. Can you picture Bettman's face when he is getting booed by the fans and he has to hand the Cup over to Ovi?

Bettman gets booed everywhere. It makes no impact on him. He will love it if Ov gets a Cup.

On the other hand if the Caps don't win the cup it will be blamed on Ov again. This time because he divided the team

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Bettman gets booed everywhere. It makes no impact on him. He will love it if Ov gets a Cup.

On the other hand if the Caps don't win the cup it will be blamed on Ov again. This time because he divided the team

I guess he'd like the cash pouring in his pockets from the fans buying Caps merchandise. Time to dig this out of the archives for the next lockout

66d92609-9437-4609-9993-533bb2fe7502_500.jpg

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I just hope the Caps won't receive a speacial treatment, I will even say more, than it is already now, from the refs/nhl/dops/etc in this postseason, next year, after olympics too.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It's so interesting how the general consensus amongst Capitals fans is essentially, "Good for OV!" and the overwhelming sentiment on the main board is "He's so selfish."

Aren't we the ones who theoretically should be upset over this? We're the fans maybe losing our stars for 3 weeks, and potentially longer if they get hurt.

The narrative that he's a bad captain or teammate for doing this makes even less sense. If you're his teammate are you realistically pissed about this or are you inspired that he's somewhat speaking up for the boys and advocating for something most of the stars said they wanted.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm here since may 2015, but it's only today I realized that I never should even read the main boards. Never old to learn I guess.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's so interesting how the general consensus amongst Capitals fans is essentially, "Good for OV!" and the overwhelming sentiment on the main board is "He's so selfish."

Aren't we the ones who theoretically should be upset over this? We're the fans maybe losing our stars for 3 weeks, and potentially longer if they get hurt.

The narrative that he's a bad captain or teammate for doing this makes even less sense. If you're his teammate are you realistically pissed about this or are you inspired that he's somewhat speaking up for the boys and advocating for something most of the stars said they wanted.

They're haters, they will use anything he does and turn it against him. Many non-Caps fan support Ovechkin in this matter, and some are grasping at straws to put him down. Love the comments saying "Ovi can go, he's a has been."

Well the has been is by far the best goalscorer of his generation and hockey fans will talk about him for years or even decades after his retirement.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ha way to go @user9992 - I came here to post that we need Ovi truckin' in this thread.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ovechkin is a rebel who doesn't give no ****s and does what he believes is right by him. Every breath he takes serves as a reminder to vanilla canuck players of just how timid and submissive they are to their masters and that they'll never have the balls to grab life by the horns. Of course the NHL media and the NHL will hate him for being larger than life and standing in the way of methodically sucking every drop of life from the league in the chase for profit.

Their anguish sustains me

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I've been thinking if Ovie can ramp up the physical play to mitigate his dip in scoring that'd be OK by me. Looks like he read my mind and is going to ground and pound for the rest of the year. Looking forward to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad