Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Chevy like bargain basement signings/squeezing value from everyone, he won't deal Burmi for a low price, he will maximize his value. He would be a great replacement for Slater....he's in training camp next year.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think Buffalo could be interested in Burmistrov. One of our UFA forwards to help the playoff push for Burmistrov.

I like the concept. Stafford or Stewart would fit the Jets style we'll. I'd love to try to resurrect Hodgson in Winnipeg. He'd need to squeeze into the top-6 to be effective, and I can't imagine how that would work.

I love the idea of Stewart's size and speed on the Jets. I think he'd have a good chance at getting his career back on track in Winnipeg and May even re-sign.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I like the concept. Stafford or Stewart would fit the Jets style we'll. I'd love to try to resurrect Hodgson in Winnipeg. He'd need to squeeze into the top-6 to be effective, and I can't imagine how that would work.

I love the idea of Stewart's size and speed on the Jets. I think he'd have a good chance at getting his career back on track in Winnipeg and May even re-sign.

No thank you to any of those players. Id rather take my chances with Burmi

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yeah, Burmi will be better fit for the Jets than Stafford or Stewart.

Especially if Frolik dont sign.

Probably Frolik have a sligthly better scoring touch, but Burmi is pesky and hits.
Also better at dangling

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

What a strange little hockey player, I've never been able to make heads or tails of what he's supposed to be. Still think the Jets need a top 4 D.....Gorges, Weber maybe. Gotta think they would have some interest in Burmi.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Next off-season will be a "buyer's" market for Russian players. The KHL is on the brink of bankruptcy, as are many member teams - there's been enormous upheaval in the Russian economy from sanctions and plummeting oil prices causing a lot of downward pressure on the ruble. The contract Burmistrov signed is now worth less than a quarter of what it was when he signed it.

My guess is that Burmistrov and many other players will abandon the K for the lucre and luster of the NHL where they'll be paid in stable Yankee dollars. I won't be surprised at all to see Burmistrov back in the Jets' fold next season.

I would heartily welcome his return.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I really feel like we are going to be limited when it comes to keeping Ladd, Fro and Buff, unless we intend on moving Kane (I'm just thinking dollars here). With that said, I feel as though the Jets can comfortably absorb a fat deal to 3 of those 4 players, but not all 4. Given that Kane is already on contract, by my logic, that means that Chevy has a choice of any 2 of Ladd, Fro and Buff. The big fella is easily the most irreplaceable of the 3. He's an elite level NHLer when he is on - a legit Norris candidate. Of the remaining two, I think Ladd is the more valuable player (though not necessarily by a large margin, but hypothetically, Ladd at 6 milly vs. Fro at 5.5 ... I'll take Ladd every day).

By my (perhaps ridiculous) logic, that leaves Fro as the odd man out, and Burmistrov just happens to play a style that is similar. Bring back Burmi, and think about moving Fro. It's perhaps a bit risky, but I would argue that it is sound asset management. Losing Fro for nothing would be bad. Paying him on the other hand, could hamper us going forward (Ladd, Buff, Fefe, Trouba... Hutch).

**All of this is based off of Lawless' $ projections in his recent article.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I really feel like we are going to be limited when it comes to keeping Ladd, Fro and Buff, unless we intend on moving Kane (I'm just thinking dollars here). With that said, I feel as though the Jets can comfortably absorb a fat deal to 3 of those 4 players, but not all 4. Given that Kane is already on contract, by my logic, that means that Chevy has a choice of any 2 of Ladd, Fro and Buff. The big fella is easily the most irreplaceable of the 3. He's an elite level NHLer when he is on - a legit Norris candidate. Of the remaining two, I think Ladd is the more valuable player (though not necessarily by a large margin, but hypothetically, Ladd at 6 milly vs. Fro at 5.5 ... I'll take Ladd every day).

By my (perhaps ridiculous) logic, that leaves Fro as the odd man out, and Burmistrov just happens to play a style that is similar. Bring back Burmi, and think about moving Fro. It's perhaps a bit risky, but I would argue that it is sound asset management. Losing Fro for nothing would be bad. Paying him on the other hand, could hamper us going forward (Ladd, Buff, Fefe, Trouba... Hutch).

If we actually make the post season this year, i imagine that Chevy has earned himself a bit of a bigger budget to keep the band together as it were. I wouldn't be shocked if Ladd took a bit of a discount to stay with the team. He doesn't strike me as the guy that would be seeking the massive pay day. He'll probably fall into line with Wheeler and Kane in between 5-5.5. Frolik will probably be around 4 and I imagine that Buff will probably get 6-6.5...this is cap hit people...I don't give a **** about real world money.

We're a team on a "budget", but all that has ever really meant to me is that we won't go crazy spending in free agency...and for the most part we havent. Whether that applies to re-signing the core remains to be seen.

My projections, and I've been pretty close to right in the past...

Ladd: 6yrs AAV: 5.3M
Buff: 6yrs AAV: 6.5 This contract I imagine Buff will get a good chunk of money right up front. ie.) His contract begins at 7mil and peters off downwards to like five or something.
Frolik: 3yrs AAV: 4m

As for Burmistrov, I'd love to have him back and I expect he will come back cheap on a two year, 2 mil prove it contract.

I kind of agree with you Boreal, but the issue at hand is...can Burmistrov actually play RW with any level of effectiveness. I know he's done it in the past, but is it a smart thing to do. We know that Burmi has quite good chemistry with Kane, allbeit in a small sample size and placing him on C of the third line with Kane and maybe sliding Lowry over to wing? Would be a very solid two way line with a great deal of speed and skill. It gives us a legit three line scoring threat...unlike the two lines and Kane we are currently running.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think you are a little high on Fro's salary. Compare Ladd at 6 to Fro at 4.5 instead of 5.5.

I really don't think the problem is going to be as bad as some are making it out to be. New players coming on to the team are at < $1mil contracts and they are replacing players making 1.5-2-3 mil so there are some savings. Just by a quick, rough look we should be able to keep everybody with an increase of about 6-7 mil$ and that is in 2 years with 2 presumed increases in the cap. The $C isn't going to stay down too long because oil likely isn't going to stay down too long.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think you are a little high on Fro's salary. Compare Ladd at 6 to Fro at 4.5 instead of 5.5.

I really don't think the problem is going to be as bad as some are making it out to be. New players coming on to the team are at < $1mil contracts and they are replacing players making 1.5-2-3 mil so there are some savings. Just by a quick, rough look we should be able to keep everybody with an increase of about 6-7 mil$ and that is in 2 years with 2 presumed increases in the cap. The $C isn't going to stay down too long because oil likely isn't going to stay down too long.

God i hope its not. Im getting sick of hearing the Alberta government tell us all the things they cant do (ie full day kindergarten) because of it.

Sorry ot.

I even think that Ladd's is a bit high there and will probably follow in par with Wheelers.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Until after his 27th birthday or after his 7th season in the NHL. So that NHL clock isn't ticking right now.

His 2 year stint in the KHL did not take any years away from his Rfa years for the Jets. That was one good thing about Atlanta rushing him into theNHL when he was 18. If he would have taken the Schiefele route and stayed in Junior for two years before starting his ELC and then went to the KHL for two years..... he would have only 2 years of RFA left.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
His 2 year stint in the KHL did not take any years away from his Rfa years for the Jets. That was one good thing about Atlanta rushing him into theNHL when he was 18. If he would have taken the Schiefele route and stayed in Junior for two years before starting his ELC and then went to the KHL for two years..... he would have only 2 years of RFA left.

Is that true?

I thought there was no disadvantage to a team letting an ELC slide, and that would include diminished RFA years.

In fact, I thought ELC years are burned at 10 games, but RFA years are only burned at 40 (?) games.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
2014-2015 KHL season

James Wright 43 games played; 12 goals

Alex Burmistrov 44 games played; 9 goals

Just saying!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Is that true?

I thought there was no disadvantage to a team letting an ELC slide, and that would include diminished RFA years.

In fact, I thought ELC years are burned at 10 games, but RFA years are only burned at 40 (?) games.

There isn't. He's just saying he'd be 2 years older when he started his career, then 2 years older when he went to russia, then two years older when he came back, so 2 years closer to becoming a UFA. But he'd still become a UFA at the same age.

Sabs*

No need for Burmie he's terrible in the NHL and average in KHL. Forget about him release him and let him play in the Ahl where he belongs.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No need for Burmie he's terrible in the NHL and average in KHL. Forget about him release him and let him play in the Ahl where he belongs.

Even if I were to agree with your assessment, are you saying that we should let an asset walk for nothing? That's terrible asset management. Best to have him sign, then trade him for something/anything if you want to get rid of him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Do you still think Pavelec is the bee's knees and Hutch is some sort of pretender?

Needless to say we have very different views on what a talented NHLer looks like.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Ladd seems to be setting himself up in this City for the long term. His wife Dr. Ladd has joined an Optometry practice in Winnipeg. I'm confident he stays for sure.

Buff being the outdoorsman he is and so close to home I think he probably stays but he will get paid to do so. Frolik could be the odd man out. In a perfect world we can keep them all.

These dilemmas are part in parcel when your team is more competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad