Line Combos: Alex Texier will not play for CBJ in 2022/23 Season

SK7CBJ

Jul 11, 2022
Too little information and too much speculation. As a fan, I would like to know the particulars but as a person I respect his right to privacy and choice to keep his information protected. I thought he had a good chance to be impactful with the CBJ and can only imagine his effect. For him I wish happiness and a fulfilling life. His impact on the team is evident from this thread. Good luck Tex!

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I'm trying to think of non-Russians who were as good as Texier who chose to play their best years in Europe. So far I can't think of anyone.
Jari Kurri played one year in Milano Devils because of contract issues in beginning of nineties :D

If I recall correctly it was 90-91 since Edmonton wasn't letting him to join Wayne in Kings.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jari Kurri played one year in Milano Devils because of contract issues in beginning of nineties :D

If I recall correctly it was 90-91 since Edmonton wasn't letting him to join Wayne in Kings.

Let's hope it is just a one year thing like that.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Let's hope it is just a one year thing like that.
Yes let's hope that. Anyway Kurri's situation was comparable to sitting out a year so he wasn't going to play with Oilers anymore then.

"Kurri's contract with the Oilers expired in 1990 but his NHL rights were still owned by the Oilers. Instead of accepting a new contract from the Oilers, Kurri opted for a season in Italy and played for Devils Milano of the Italian Serie A. Kurri had 27 goals and 48 assists in 30 games while he played in the Italian league.

After a season in Italy, Kurri's rights were traded to the Philadelphia Flyers and then to the Los Angeles Kings on the same day. For the first time since the 1988 trade, Kurri was reunited with Wayne Gretzky. "

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So from Reddit there's a video:

and a tweet saying it's a wrist injury. So at least not the head or neck area luckily if this is true.

Lions statement says Texier is gonna miss "several weeks" because of an "upper body injury". Doesn't sound good.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think the key here would be that the focus should be on making those "allowance" available for "everyday people" rather than trying to argue that no one should get them.

Wanted to at least let this story “die down” a bit before responding.

In theory, yes, society and humanity working in “harmony”, and every human given every opportunity and resource needed in order to reach peak “health” or happiness, both physically and psychologically, would be great.

BUT, that’s not where we are, as people or society/humanity as a whole.

Serious question, why couldn’t he move “the family”, or whatever amount of people he needs to be with, to Ohio with him?? If being away from family even IS the issue.

I have a problem with people attacking others under the idea that they are dismissing Texier’s situation and/or the idea of “mental health”.

The Swiss league is still a HIGH level hockey league, in the same convo as the KHL and AHL. He wouldn’t be playing there if the time, commitment, and emotional strength needed to play HIGH LEVEL hockey wasn’t inside of him. I’d be more accepting of Texier and the situation if he was playing in a lower French league, actually near home and in an easier and less “stressful” league.

imo

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wanted to at least let this story “die down” a bit before responding.

In theory, yes, society and humanity working in “harmony”, and every human given every opportunity and resource needed in order to reach peak “health” or happiness, both physically and psychologically, would be great.

BUT, that’s not where we are, as people or society/humanity as a whole.

Serious question, why couldn’t he move “the family”, or whatever amount of people he needs to be with, to Ohio with him?? If being away from family even IS the issue.

I have a problem with people attacking others under the idea that they are dismissing Texier’s situation and/or the idea of “mental health”.

The Swiss league is still a HIGH level hockey league, in the same convo as the KHL and AHL. He wouldn’t be playing there if the time, commitment, and emotional strength needed to play HIGH LEVEL hockey wasn’t inside of him. I’d be more accepting of Texier and the situation if he was playing in a lower French league, actually near home and in an easier and less “stressful” league.

imo
So you’re saying either 1) that because things aren’t a certain way that we shouldn’t be making efforts to make them a certain way or 2) that you prefer things the way they are. I’m interested in which.

The issue isn’t that people are dismissing his mental health, it’s that people are assuming they know what’s best for his mental health despite not being him and not knowing anything about him on that level.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’m clearly saying its NEITHER 1 or 2. I PREFER that Texier is playing hockey with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Are you really trying to categorize such a worldwide and COMPLEX issue, into 2 such minute categories or descriptions?? Or just attempting minimize my possibly complex thoughts on the subject??

Reality is that all the virtue signaling regarding Texier, and all the concessions given to him to improve his chances at continuing his life of being a (arguably) pampered, millionaire professional athlete, has ZERO IMPACT, on all the ACTUAL terrible things that exist in life, whether involving “mental health” or an other aspect of life.

I’m not assuming that I KNOW “what’s best” for his “mental health”, but, maybe we shouldn’t be assuming that Texier knows whats “best” either??

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m clearly saying its NEITHER 1 or 2. I PREFER that Texier is playing hockey with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Are you really trying to categorize such a worldwide and COMPLEX issue, into 2 such minute categories or descriptions?? Or just attempting minimize my possibly complex thoughts on the subject??

Reality is that all the virtue signaling regarding Texier, and all the concessions given to him to improve his chances at continuing his life of being a (arguably) pampered, millionaire professional athlete, has ZERO IMPACT, on all the ACTUAL terrible things that exist in life, whether involving “mental health” or an other aspect of life.

I’m not assuming that I KNOW “what’s best” for his “mental health”, but, maybe we shouldn’t be assuming that Texier knows whats “best” either??
You said

"

BUT, that’s not where we are, as people or society/humanity as a whole."

So I'm asking why you feel we shouldn't be taking small steps when possible toward what you say "would be great." I asked if it was one reason or another. Feel free to offer another option for why, because the world doesn't work a certain way, we shouldn't be trying to get there.

And because it's possible Texier doesn't know what is best - and, quite frankly, who does when it comes to decisions like these - you feel like you should be the one who decides what's best?

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation.

Reactions: Ippenator and Monk

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You said

"

BUT, that’s not where we are, as people or society/humanity as a whole."

So I'm asking why you feel we shouldn't be taking small steps when possible toward what you say "would be great." I asked if it was one reason or another. Feel free to offer another option for why, because the world doesn't work a certain way, we shouldn't be trying to get there.

And because it's possible Texier doesn't know what is best - and, quite frankly, who does when it comes to decisions like these - you feel like you should be the one who decides what's best?

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation.
Where am I saying anything about me thinking or deciding “what’s best”?? You’re putting words in my mouth. All I want is for him to play for the CBJ, and I literally SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND how him playing for the CBJ could negatively impact him, in essentially any way.

If he wasn’t playing hockey at all, or was so “distraught” that he couldn’t play at a high level, and was playing near home in France, that is 1 thing. Whatever this is, is something different, that no, from the information I HAVE, I don’t agree with.

The problem is people FOCUS on completely REDUNDANT “small steps” that have ZERO impact on all the REAL ISSUES, in life. And actually, I argue that the focus on these redundant aspects actually have a NEGATIVE impact.

Another thing you are “glossing over” in my words is the fact that I said, EVERY human given every opportunity/resource, not just a select few, or an individual.

Interesting how Texier, and his “mental health” is looked at and treated in relation to Sylvain Lefebvre and Zac Rinaldo for decisions regarding their health, eh??

We all have different ideas, of “what’s best”, regarding all types of different things.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Where am I saying anything about me thinking or deciding “what’s best”?? You’re putting words in my mouth. All I want is for him to play for the CBJ, and I literally SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND how him playing for the CBJ could negatively impact him, in essentially any way.
Answer to the first bold is the second bold.

Taking an entire post to say "That's not what I'm saying" while saying exactly that is an intresting approach.

Moving on. Have a good day.

Reactions: LJ7 and Fro

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Answer to the first bold is the second bold.

Taking an entire post to say "That's not what I'm saying" while saying exactly that is an intresting approach.

Moving on. Have a good day.
Plenty of people claiming they know “what’s best” for Texier, much more than I am in here.

People defending Texier’s decision in this thread are under the assumption that they know what types of things about training and/or playing in the NHL (and subsequently being away from family) would be “detrimental” to him, not to mention making assumptions regarding those actually being the issue, yet at the same time attacking anybody else making any sort of “unfavorable” or “contradictory” assumptions the other way.

I literally can’t think of any acceptable reason, and I haven’t heard/seen a single logical reason in this thread, why he is able to play at a HIGH level in the 2-4th best league in the world in Europe, and NOT in the NHL, living with family.

The hiding behind the blanket of “mental health”, and answers of “only Texier knows why or what’s best”, is BS for multiple reasons, imo.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

If he wasn’t playing hockey at all, or was so “distraught” that he couldn’t play at a high level, and was playing near home in France, that is 1 thing. Whatever this is, is something different, that no, from the information I HAVE, I don’t agree with.

The problem is people FOCUS on completely REDUNDANT “small steps” that have ZERO impact on all the REAL ISSUES, in life. And actually, I argue that the focus on these redundant aspects actually have a NEGATIVE impact.

Another thing you are “glossing over” in my words is the fact that I said, EVERY human given every opportunity/resource, not just a select few, or an individual.

Interesting how Texier, and his “mental health” is looked at and treated in relation to Sylvain Lefebvre and Zac Rinaldo for decisions regarding their health, eh??

We all have different ideas, of “what’s best”, regarding all types of different things.
Honestly European culture and North American culture are quite different after all. I definitely know about it myself, as I have lived in countries of both cultures. I was born in the USA and lived a lot of my childhood there, and then later as an adult had a chance to go back there and got a job and was living there for quite some time. I probably would have had even better career options there and I even liked some things a lot there. But it never felt like my real home and the place where I would like to really settle in for good. Eventually I bumped into some health related problems myself and having them, and being in the country that didn’t really feel as the place where I really wanted to be, made me eventually make the decision of returning to Finland.

I did get still later some experience from working and living in some other European countries, and honestly felt much more like being at home than in the USA. Nothing against USA or Americans in general (as long as they aren’t too full of themselves) but the culture just never was for me. I can understand Texier very, very well, about how he has felt and what decisions he has wanted to make. And he definitely knows better himself what is good for him than anyone writing at this forum.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Plenty of people claiming they know “what’s best” for Texier, much more than I am in here.

People defending Texier’s decision in this thread are under the assumption that they know what types of things about training and/or playing in the NHL (and subsequently being away from family) would be “detrimental” to him, not to mention making assumptions regarding those actually being the issue, yet at the same time attacking anybody else making any sort of “unfavorable” or “contradictory” assumptions the other way.

I literally can’t think of any acceptable reason, and I haven’t heard/seen a single logical reason in this thread, why he is able to play at a HIGH level in the 2-4th best league in the world in Europe, and NOT in the NHL, living with family.

The hiding behind the blanket of “mental health”, and answers of “only Texier knows why or what’s best”, is BS for multiple reasons, imo.

Then just stop thinking about it. Problem solved.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If he was Connor McDavid making $12.5M per season that could be a serious question, or rather a question to be taken seriously.

With what's left of $1.5M after taxes and living expenses I don't think it would be even economically viable scenario to fly his family here, and that's only one aspect. His parents, siblings, close friends etc. have their whole lifes on France. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to leave all their life, everything that's dear to them behind in France and move to a country where people don't even speak their beloved language they are so proud about.

Johnny Hockey is highly paid superstar. Did he move his parents and his wifes parents into Calgary or at least nearby to be closer to them? No, but instead he now signed a contract to be much closer to his and hers families, only short flight away.

Reactions: CBJx614

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If he was Connor McDavid making $12.5M per season that could be a serious question, or rather a question to be taken seriously.

With what's left of $1.5M after taxes and living expenses I don't think it would be even economically viable scenario to fly his family here, and that's only one aspect. His parents, siblings, close friends etc. have their whole lifes on France. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to leave all their life, everything that's dear to them behind in France and move to a country where people don't even speak their beloved language they are so proud about.

Johnny Hockey is highly paid superstar. Did he move his parents and his wifes parents into Calgary or at least nearby to be closer to them? No, but instead he now signed a contract to be much closer to his and hers families, only short flight away.
Not just in France, they live in Grenoble, the nicest city in France. Also, Texier was born in Saint-Martin-d'Hères so he must be not from the city of Grenoble but one of the surrounding communes where the rich live. I used to live nearby in Meylan so I know what I'm talking about. Saint-Martin-d'Hères is where the huge and very nice university is and up towards the mountains there are lots of big mansions. If you grow up there you don't wanna leave for long.

If you ever get a chance to check out the area, do it. The nature, the views...it's somehing else. Or just do a google search for some stunning impressions.

Grenoble is so fascinating because it's quite a big city (for European standarts) but still in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of nature, in the middle of the Alpes. The city itself is on quite low altitude but it's surrounded by high mountains and it's only connected to the rest of France with a few small valleys. There's similar places in Switzerland where I grew up or in Austria but Grenoble is the biggest and nicest city in the Alpes.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Then just stop thinking about it. Problem solved.
Honestly European culture and North American culture are quite different after all. I definitely know about it myself, as I have lived in countries of both cultures. I was born in the USA and lived a lot of my childhood there, and then later as an adult had a chance to go back there and got a job and was living there for quite some time. I probably would have had even better career options there and I even liked some things a lot there. But it never felt like my real home and the place where I would like to really settle in for good. Eventually I bumped into some health related problems myself and having them, and being in the country that didn’t really feel as the place where I really wanted to be, made me eventually make the decision of returning to Finland.

I did get still later some experience from working and living in some other European countries, and honestly felt much more like being at home than in the USA. Nothing against USA or Americans in general (as long as they aren’t too full of themselves) but the culture just never was for me. I can understand Texier very, very well, about how he has felt and what decisions he has wanted to make. And he definitely knows better himself what is good for him than anyone writing at this forum.

Not just in France, they live in Grenoble, the nicest city in France. Also, Texier was born in Saint-Martin-d'Hères so he must be not from the city of Grenoble but one of the surrounding communes where the rich live. I used to live nearby in Meylan so I know what I'm talking about. Saint-Martin-d'Hères is where the huge and very nice university is and up towards the mountains there are lots of big mansions. If you grow up there you don't wanna leave for long.

If you ever get a chance to check out the area, do it. The nature, the views...it's somehing else. Or just do a google search for some stunning impressions.
I UNDERSTAND what all of you are saying (or trying to say) however it doesn’t really change my feelings on him not playing with the CBJ. Regarding him moving family, I’m assuming it’s only a handful of people he would be looking to be around not an entire extended family. And hockey season is only around half of the year.

Again, the LACK of actual answers is a problem to me. It doesn’t matter what I think I “deserve” to know or not, if I don’t know anything, (or much) I’ll have to fill in the blanks for myself, as I believe everyone else also does, whether they express it or not.

The situation is just very odd and the lack of an explanation makes it worse. If he comes back after a year or 2, I guess I’ll forget it and move on, but, like some others that feel he done in Columbus, if that’s true, then no I think people should be upset about the decision, especially if it’s just about being “homesick” for a “privileged” wealthy area in France.

This may sound terrible, but, Texier is going to have to deal with a lot more family and friends dying moving forward in life, if that’s the problem.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I UNDERSTAND what all of you are saying (or trying to say) however it doesn’t really change my feelings on him not playing with the CBJ. Regarding him moving family, I’m assuming it’s only a handful of people he would be looking to be around not an entire extended family. And hockey season is only around half of the year.

Again, the LACK of actual answers is a problem to me. It doesn’t matter what I think I “deserve” to know or not, if I don’t know anything, (or much) I’ll have to fill in the blanks for myself, as I believe everyone else also does, whether they express it or not.

The situation is just very odd and the lack of an explanation makes it worse. If he comes back after a year or 2, I guess I’ll forget it and move on, but, like some others that feel he done in Columbus, if that’s true, then no I think people should be upset about the decision, especially if it’s just about being “homesick” for a “privileged” wealthy area in France.

This may sound terrible, but, Texier is going to have to deal with a lot more family and friends dying moving forward in life, if that’s the problem.
Yeah look. I get that you're upset. I was upset myself when Hofmann quit. But at the end of the day you shouldn't judge these guys because you don't know exactly what's going on. You'll never know all the details that went into those decisions so while it's okay to be upset there's no real point in blaming them or whatever. If he does return it's all good anyway. If he doesn't, it's probably best to just move on.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

You are not being reasonable. You are assuming that Texier's (NHL) hockey career is not only 1st priority for Tex, but also for everyone around him and they all should just completely turn their lives upside down so that Tex can play in CBJ making 1.7mil a season, instead of playing close to home in the Swiss league for something like 0.5mil a season (my guess).

That is without taking into account any circumstances around the decision, which we do not know all that much about.

I agree with you though that from a PR perspective it's not been handled that great, it's been all a bit vague and fluctuating, so that naturally leads to speculation. I understand wanting privacy and having the right for it, but in this case I think giving out a bit more could've been better. But it's hard to know where to draw that line, especially from the outside.

As for your last sentence, that's true, but it comes off a bit weird to me. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but you seem to imply that because people dear to him will die sooner or later anyway, he should just ignore that and focus on his CBJ career?

The bottom line for me is, it's Texier's life and his decisions and he has all the right to make decisions he thinks are right for him and which he won't regret later. And that's true whether it involves people dying or not. For me, his reason could be that there's a really nice lake near where he lives and playing in Europe he can occasionally go fishing there even mid-season. Fine by me, sucks for Blue Jackets and one would hope he'd discovered fishing by that lake is so important to him a bit sooner (and been more upfront about it), but it is what it is. No, I'm not speculating that's what it's all about :)

If it turns out it was all just a ruse to somehow wiggle out of his CBJ contract (you seem to think that's the case?), then that reflects quite poorly on him, but I'm not going to assume that just because, and even if it were true, it's not worth it for me to get riled up about it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Jeremy Wick was fined 2500 Swiss Francs and suspended one game for boarding Texier. I linked you the verdict if anyone is interested. It's available both as pdf and video (in English).

The way Texier crashed into the boards it doesn't look good at all. Don't think Wick wanted to hurt Texier, it was just a stupid, unnecessary foul with an unfortunate outcome. One game suspension is probably fair and I hope it's not as bad as it looked for Texier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad