Line Combos: Alex Texier will not play for CBJ in 2022/23 Season

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Foote, Nash, Bobrovsky, Panarin, Jones, and yes, Jeff Carter, should not be looked at any different.

Imo
My list has Foote at Number 1 followed by Carter. Panarin was a good soldier in my book who never pouted or was a jerk with the fans. He wanted to play in New York. I can't fault him for that. Of the other three, I've got no animus towards any of them.

Edit: Even though Carter is tops on my list, I've never booed him. I moved on a long time ago.

Reactions: thebus88

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I could be way off but I think he's just done in the NHL and his contract is the albatross because he is RFA. If the contract gets mutually terminated, he'll be come a free agent and if he decides he wants to play in the NHL he could go elsewhere.

I feel like this is a stopgap to pass the buck to next year in order for the CBJ to retain his rights. Next year he'll either have to fish or cut bait. I feel like if he decides to return, he'll be traded for something in return as minimal as it may be. If he doesn't return, he'll get his contract terminated and he can ride off into the european sunset.

In any event, I still feel like he's done in the NHL and if he does come back to the NHL it won't be in a CBJ uniform. This team isn't at a shortage of forwards and we just need to move on without him.

I agree that the most likely outcome is that he never returns to the NHL ever - I just have that feeling.

I don't understand how his contract is an albatross. It's on hold isn't it? They're not paying him and he's not burning years off of it.

I think they'd be foolish to trade him just to sever the relationship and/or because of the perception we have a lot of forwards. A lot of them haven't proven much, if anything: Voronkov, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Johnson, Bemstrom, Foudy. A couple are still unknowns: Sillinger and Ros. Voracek is reaching the end. Nyquist could be gone at end of season. I think heading into camp next year, we're likely talking about who plugs in to fill the 2-4 gaps at wing that have opened up given who we let walk, traded or have come to realize can't regularly play in the NHL.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I agree that the most likely outcome is that he never returns to the NHL ever - I just have that feeling.

I don't understand how his contract is an albatross. It's on hold isn't it? They're not paying him and he's not burning years off of it.

I think they'd be foolish to trade him just to sever the relationship and/or because of the perception we have a lot of forwards. A lot of them haven't proven much, if anything: Voronkov, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Johnson, Bemstrom, Foudy. A couple are still unknowns: Sillinger and Ros. Voracek is reaching the end. Nyquist could be gone at end of season. I think heading into camp next year, we're likely talking about who plugs in to fill the 2-4 gaps at wing that have opened up given who we let walk, traded or have come to realize can't regularly play in the NHL.
It’s an albatross in the sense that it isn’t easy to break an NHL contract. CBJ don’t want to give him up for nothing and then he decides to return a couple of years later like Kovalchuk tried with the devils. We also can’t keep deferring this contract every year until he feels like coming back.

I feel like this year was a special exemption but it isn’t going to happen again.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Very interesting, thanks for posting. This could have some long-term effects on various decisions this year and next year, including who to trade at TDL (and for what - do we need roster players or picks/prospects). Time will tell...

Edit: Meaning in my mind that we keep Tex and focus more on picks/prospects rather than roster players in return for e.g. Gavrikov/Nyquist etc if they are traded. But of course just speculation at this point, I guess we won't know or hear anything proper about Tex until the offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Maybe but I'd rather just hope to get Tex back, even if it is less than a 50% chance that he returns. I don't like our chances of getting a player that good out of the pick.
I'll start by saying trading him is nonsense. But I will say I didnt like the chances of getting a Texier type player from trading Kolesar. I hated that deal at the time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll start by saying trading him is nonsense. But I will say I didnt like the chances of getting a Texier type player from trading Kolesar. I hated that deal at the time.

I was excited for Kolesar too. But with the trade happening when the pick came up (if I remember correctly) you knew the scouts were super high on someone.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Have to think that if Jarmo shops him, other GMs will be suspicious of the likelihood Jarmo thinks he's coming back anytime soon - likely we'd get pretty low value.

unless the other gm's think so poorly of our city and organization that they "dont blame him for not wanting to be in Columbus ohio.... but if he gets to our city and in our room we can save him"

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is no upside to trading Texier. Might as well keep him and retain his rights.

I feel jarmo and the team have done everything right thus far in regards to Tex. If Texiers issues are truly all personal, and nothing to do with the team/management, then he should have no issue returning to Columbus if he wants to return to the NHL.

And if he doesn’t and wants to stay home, then hats off to him and I wish him well. But if he wishes to return to the NHL one day, it should have to be in Columbus.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I was excited for Kolesar too. But with the trade happening when the pick came up (if I remember correctly) you knew the scouts were super high on someone.
IIRC Jarmo said after they picked Texier that they viewed him as a first round talent. Given how much the CBJ draft board has differed from the consensus (and how the rest of the players in that year panned out) I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was rated in their top 10-15.

If a team calls you up about a prospect you just took in the fourth round whose most likely outcome is as a good bottom six power forward and offers what you view as a first round pick, you take it 100 times out of 100.

There is no upside to trading Texier. Might as well keep him and retain his rights.
Agreed -- no point in moving him any time soon, even if he does say he'll come back over next year.

The most valuable he's been as an asset was probably near the middle of last year, when his name came up in trade rumors. Then he took his leave of absence. Another in a long line of bad breaks for the CBJ hockey ops team.

And if he doesn’t and wants to stay home, then hats off to him and I wish him well. But if he wishes to return to the NHL one day, it should have to be in Columbus.
I assume CBJ would be able to keep his rights in perpetuity if he doesn't come back. He was under contract.

Those rules are kinda wonky sometimes, though. Fun fact, they still have Mozyakin's rights 20 years after drafting him.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Trading a player who's in the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program would be outrageously bad optics for the organization. "This player has personal issues, please make him not our problem anymore" is what that would signal. It is clear the org is doing what it can to support Texier the human, and to suggest trading his rights at this point is offensive.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Trading a player who's in the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program would be outrageously bad optics for the organization. "This player has personal issues, please make him not our problem anymore" is what that would signal. It is clear the org is doing what it can to support Texier the human, and to suggest trading his rights at this point is offensive.
Trading his rights is pointless and I don't think he has any trade value.

I don't think there is a scenario where he wants to come back but he wants out of Columbus. He's either back in Columbus next year or he's in Europe permanently.

At that point I think he's just done in the NHL and the contract will be terminated.

Reactions: squashmaple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad