Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Tangs didn't want to be here though which also evens out the trade a little. As soon as Iggy left he was like **** this just gonna cash my checks and mail it in here.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tanguay's been injuried half the season already, no surprise, and Jones has more points than him at this point. I've been happy with Jones so far but I really wasn't expecting much from him. The most important thing is that we got younger, healthier and moved two unwanted NTC's that should've never been signed in the first place. The deal filled a hole on the RW and opened a spot for Sven. Hard to say it was a bad deal at this point.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I actually see this as two trades - Jones for Tanguay and SOB for Sarich.

Jones is on pace for about 20 goals, which is about what I expected, and does bring size and grit to the lineup (when he decides he wants to... grr) Inconsistent as ****. Tanguay's on pace to produce like he did last season. This is a trade of a 2nd liner in their prime for an aging first liner - so Calgary can't be seen to win this trade on the face of it. However, I'm not sure Tanguay has the same offensive production with the Flames this season, and I've never been a Tanguay fan (given rumours of his questionable attitude) so I'm not sad to see him go. Therefore (due to my own personal bias) I consider this trade a wash.

SOB is basically a younger, more fighty, less defensively reliable version of Sarich. #6 defenseman for a #5 defenseman basically, slight edge to Colorado - but that's like the difference being picked 2nd and last on a schoolyard sports team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Personally I hated the trade and didn't think much of either SOB or Jones. While SOB has changed my mind Jones is on pace to be a 40 point player and 20 goal scorer which to be honestly still makes him overpaid but he has been pretty solid so far. Losing Tangs has really hurt our pp but Jones has been a solid addition. As of right now put me in the pleasantly surprised category.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Personally I hated the trade and didn't think much of either SOB or Jones. While SOB has changed my mind Jones is on pace to be a 40 point player and 20 goal scorer which to be honestly still makes him overpaid but he has been pretty solid so far. Losing Tangs has really hurt our pp but Jones has been a solid addition. As of right now put me in the pleasantly surprised category.

Last year, Flames PP was ranked 26th with a 14.3% success rate.

This year, Flames PP is ranked 25th with a 14.3% success rate.

Call me crazy, but "hurt" might not be the word you're looking for.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Last year, Flames PP was ranked 26th with a 14.3% success rate.

This year, Flames PP is ranked 25th with a 14.3% success rate.

Call me crazy, but "hurt" might not be the word you're looking for.
Agreed. I actually really hated having Tanguay on the point for the powerplay. He drove me crazy there.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It was 17.7 the year that Tanguay played on the point.

Tangs played the point every season he was in Calgary, as far as I remember (well, post-Keenan, anyway).

I always hated the choice, as well. His shot from far out isn't particularly scary, so he was essentially strictly a passer, and you always knew where he was going to try to pass it first.

Regarding the trade, I don't think it was "bad", per se, but it was incredibly underwhelming. Given his point production I would've expected Tanguay to be able to garner a little more in return, and SOB for Sarich was entirely pointless (two guys who are very similar in ability and style of play, except SOB has an extra, completely useless, season tacked on).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Didn't like the trade to begin with, still don't care much for it now. Might not be a fair opinion because I loved Sarich and Tanguay, two of my favourite Flames.

Jones is alright in havoc inducing cluster **** kind of way, he does well on the forecheck and throwing the body but is a pretty terrible possession player from what I've seen. Also seems to have tunnel vision problems, doesn't make good passes, and basically looks a little lost playing with our centers. Not saying he's not a useful player, decent third line acquisition that isn't a liability in the D zone.

Sarich vs SOB is pretty close, edge for SOB in his breakout passing, calmness with the puck and his (relative) speed. Edge for Sarich physicality wise, threw some game changing hits, fought some game changing fights, and was a mean mother in front of the net. God awful in basically every other aspect though so I can see why he's not here.

Do I think the trade was good value wise? Yeah, probably could've done worse.
Do I think the trade made us a better hockey team? Not from what I've seen, still to quick to judge.

Mostly I just loved those players so take it all with a grain of salt.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I would've accepted any or even no return in exchange for getting Tanguay away from this team. I'm fine with SOB for Sarich since Sarich was tired of not getting any playing time. Initially I was upset with how little we got for Tanguay but I assume that management would have taken the better deal if it was there.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
How does everyone rate this trade now that the season is nearing its end?
I don't like Jones at all for his price, and he's been injured a heck of a lot this year. O'Brien buried in the minors. Tanguay not playing due to injury, I don't see Sarich in the Colorado/SJ game today.
This trade did nothing for either team this year anyways.
Not sure what to expect out of Jones next year, I wonder if we could move him for something in the summer. Any hopes for Jones to be a Flame for awhile?

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Tanguay became what the coaches would call a "passenger" instead of a "driver" like you expect the vets to be.

Good riddance as we're able to give someone like Lord Byron a bigger role in the NHL

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
How does everyone rate this trade now that the season is nearing its end?
I don't like Jones at all for his price, and he's been injured a heck of a lot this year. O'Brien buried in the minors. Tanguay not playing due to injury, I don't see Sarich in the Colorado/SJ game today.
This trade did nothing for either team this year anyways.
Not sure what to expect out of Jones next year, I wonder if we could move him for something in the summer. Any hopes for Jones to be a Flame for awhile?

At the time a B–. Now C–. Jones had a good couple years before. We got younger but Jones looks like a well overpayed 3rd liner scoring winger with some size and SOB is a worse version of Sarich

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We got rid of 2 players that didn't want to be here for 2 players with better attitudes about being on the Flames. The trade was garbage for garbage then and continues to be now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad