Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Oh god no. What a bad trade. We traded Tanguay for that?! We certainly downgraded in this trade

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Underwhelming to say the least. Jones at 4 million for the next 3 years for a guy who didn't even break 10 points last year in 33 games.

O'Brien is an upgrade on Sarich though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Thats it. I'm aboard the fire Feaster train. The man cannot trade to save his ****ing life.

Beyond brutal. SOB is a problem discipline wise off and on the ice, and Jones could very well be dead weight.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Avs-fan here.

Shane O'Brien is certainly an upgrade from Sarich IMO.

Jones has certainly the potential to be a consistent 20 goals scorer. But an awful contract to take on. I would much rather have Tanguay at same terms but at 3.5M instead.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really mind this trade. It was clear Tanguay didn't wanna be here. Jones could turn it around and SOB is better than Sarich now. Yeah a pick would have been nice but oh well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Terrible return.

We could have picked up equivalent players in FA.

Feaster trades a piece with value for 2 pieces with no value.

Well done. Ill see what he does with Cammy but I predict I will be all aboard the fire Feaster train very soon....

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I can't say I am overly surprised by this. As much as we've played up Tanguay as worthy of a top-60 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no teams willing to pay that price. When that failed, all that would be left for Feaster would be to try to upgrade on team needs, and I'd say Shane O'Brien and David Jones do kind of fit that.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really mind this trade. It was clear Tanguay didn't wanna be here. Jones could turn it around and SOB is better than Sarich now. Yeah a pick would have been nice but oh well.

With everyone of any skill being shipped out, Jones will definitely given an opportunity to succeed, or the ice time at least, who knows.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I can't say I am overly surprised by this. As much as we've played up Tanguay as worthy of a top-60 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no teams willing to pay that price. When that failed, all that would be left for Feaster would be to try to upgrade on team needs, and I'd say Shane O'Brien and David Jones do kind of fit that.

This is my thinking. It's nice to think we could have gotten a 2nd rounder but realistically we have no way of knowing a player's value.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Just because we were eager to unload Tanguay doesn't mean other Gms were looking to acquire him. I'm sure they are aware of his sloppy decision making and lazy play.

This is a shakeup, nothing more really.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I don't think this is as bad as people are making it out to be. It would have been nice to get a pick back for tanguay but we do need nhl body's to dress a team next year and even though jones contract is pretty bad we have the cap space to afford it and its not like there are much better RW options in FA. The way I look at it we trade tanguay for a younger, bigger winger who struggled this season but scored 20 goals last season and 27 goals before that, we also unload sarich who was useless and get a younger upgrade in O'brien

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I do agree with you. I don't mind the trade, I think that fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players, and I think we were all guilty of that with Tanguay. We did just get younger, and probably better, so as a hockey trade it works. The only problem is that we didn't get any picks in the deal, but I'm guessing that Feaster tried to go that route and didn't like the offers.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Tanguay's been completely invisible since Iginla got traded, it showed he did not want to stay here. There was no way we get a 2nd for him, you people need to lower your standards.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
at least we will have 2 nhl calibre RW right shooting players. put him with baertschi and let him crash the net.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Jones sounds like Comeau. Plays hard but he can't handle the puck and the play often dies on his stick. Except Comeau isn't owed 12 million over 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad