Value of: Alex Pietrangelo UFA

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I hope that the Montreal and NYI series showed the Flyers brass what a need for a top pairing defenseman was for this group. The flyers manage to move JVR and Ghost in a deals (#2 and #6 on trade bait board) I think they could take a run at pietrangelo.

Top pairing of Provorov-Pietrangelo would make me complete.

Reactions: bukwas

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
You're getting a lot out of an intereview. Pietrangelo does not live in Toronto; I believe that he rented some places and was up there as a break for his family and his in-laws for that trip.

The interview is utterly meaningless. I'm pretty sure he was asked if things don't work out in St. Louis would he consider signing in Toronto. He answered it by saying his parents and grandparents would like it, he grew up a Leafs fan and playing in Toronto on a Saturday night is still special because of HNIC... but that there are a lot of other considerations. It's the answer you'd expect.

Just like it's utterly meaningless when Pietrangelo said last month that he hopes to get a deal worked out with St. Louis and stay. It's the answer you'd expect to the question that was asked.

The only time Pietrangelo has refused to answer about his future with a canned answer is when he was asked about it right after being eliminated from the playoffs. When it's quite clear he didn't want to be answering any questions, getting asked an unrelated question that the reporter knew wasn't going to get a direct answer probably didn't please him.

If I'm reading anything into the press conference after being eliminated, it is that the frustration in the "I'm not answering that" answer extended right into his frustration with how the negotiations with Armstrong have went.

We have no idea. Information isn't getting out.

Bob McKenzie was absolutely clear a few times before this season started; Pietrangelo wants to stay in St. Louis. Negotiations didn't start until after the season started. A while after that McKenzie was saying that there hadn't been a contract offer to Pietrangelo yet. I still don't believe that there has been any reports about an offer being on the table, whether that means that there hasn't been a solid offer or not is anyones guess.

Armstrong gave an interview earlier this year when he touched on age and term in general comments. That has some believing that the issue might be around giving an eight year deal to a 30 year old. But that's just speculation.
How is it speculation? I'd call it common sense.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I hope that the Montreal and NYI series showed the Flyers brass what a need for a top pairing defenseman was for this group. The flyers manage to move JVR and Ghost in a deals (#2 and #6 on trade bait board) I think they could take a run at pietrangelo.

Top pairing of Provorov-Pietrangelo would make me complete.

I know it kinda defeats the purpose of this thread, but I think the Jake Allen trade sent up the signal that a Pietro extension is a matter of when, how much, and how long.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know it kinda defeats the purpose of this thread, but I think the Jake Allen trade sent up the signal that a Pietro extension is a matter of when, how much, and how long.
everyone says that, but it could also be about adding a goalie or spending elsewhere. Or, maybe just clearing salary.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
The Blues wouldn't have traded Jake Allen if they weren't planning on signing Pietrangelo...

I think they'll give him around 9 or 9.5 mil.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well according to the blues writer at the athletic

A source told him that The blues last offer was

5 x “closer to 7 than 8”.

Petro is supposedly pissed and if his wife wasn’t from StL he would have already stopped all talks.

Kinda crazy to believe. It would make sense with how mad he looked. But that can’t be the final offer.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If that's truly what the Blues are offering then I expect Pietrangelo to walk and won't blame him.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We have no way of knowing if that 5 x 7/8 offer is actually true or if it's just Pietrangelo's agent putting things out there. It seems Pietrangelo's agent has been putting stuff like this out there a lot recently to try and build pressure on Armstrong.

*IF* it is true then, yeah, that's a ridiculous offer and I wouldn't blame Pietrangelo for walking. But Armstrong is no dummy and that offer is so ridiculous that I don't think it's accurate.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Well according to the blues writer at the athletic

A source told him that The blues last offer was

5 x “closer to 7 than 8”.

Petro is supposedly pissed and if his wife wasn’t from StL he would have already stopped all talks.

Kinda crazy to believe. It would make sense with how mad he looked. But that can’t be the final offer.
JR is no insider and his sources tend to be his followers who watercooler fantasize on social media and other wishful writers.

Reactions: Spektre

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I imagine 9 or 9.5 for 7 years

Maybe blues say can we so 8 years at 8.5.

Really though he would be over 10 if not for covid.

Also I can see the contract be loaded with signing bonuses best way to bring his average down imo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I imagine 9 or 9.5 for 7 years

Maybe blues say can we so 8 years at 8.5.

Really though he would be over 10 if not for covid.

Also I can see the contract be loaded with signing bonuses best way to bring his average down imo
Bonuses after the first three years. Escrow should be lower then.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
JR is no insider and his sources tend to be his followers who watercooler fantasize on social media and other wishful writers.
Generally speaking I do think term will be down for UFAs. Contracts were signed with the assumption of a gradually rising cap. The cap is not only flat, it is artificially high this year. I am really curious to see how this negotiation goes since AP is the clear top potential UFA. I do think he will ultimately stay in STL

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Bonuses after the first three years. Escrow should be lower then.

Bonuses aren’t about escrow. It’s about guaranteed money.

If Petro gets a 7 million bonus 1 million this year. He gets that 7 million whether they play or not.

Salary is % of games played out of an 82 game season.

So if he gets an 8 million salary. He gets 4 million if they play 41 games. If they miss the season he gets nothing

the bonuses get paid out in full either way. So that’s why They are a huge issue

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

If Petro gets a 7 million bonus 1 million this year. He gets that 7 million whether they play or not.

So if he gets an 8 million salary. He gets 4 million if they play 41 games. If they miss the season he gets nothing

the bonuses get paid out in full either way. So that’s why They are a huge issue
Frankly, I think debate over the structure of the contract is the only thing holding this up.

My read of the tea leaves FWIW: Pietrangelo wants to be in St. Louis and the Blues want him to stay as well. Both sides are probably very close on $ amount and term. Pietrangelo and his agents want more $'s in bonuses and the Blues want more $'s in salary. Pietraneglo's agent is leaking a bunch of crap to the media to try leverage better terms for his client. That's the long and short of it.

Folks can read all they want into media reports and stories in the Athletic. However, it should be noted that historically Doug Armstrong has been extremely tight lipped about player contract negotiations...which leads me to believe most of the numbers we see cited in the press (ex. 5 years closer to $7 mill) are coming from Pietrangelo's representatives and ought to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

All NHL salaries are guaranteed. Escrow on bonus money might be a lot less after three years.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs can do something like this...

Year 1: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 2: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 3: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 4: 2m salary
Year 5: 2m salary
Year 6: 2m salary
Year 7: 2m salary

Who can afford to do this deal, this year, given Covid? Like 3 teams.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs can do something like this...

Year 1: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 2: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 3: 15m SB 1m salary
Year 4: 2m salary
Year 5: 2m salary
Year 6: 2m salary
Year 7: 2m salary

Who can afford to do this deal, this year, given Covid? Like 3 teams.
Escrow will be a huge claw back on the first three years. Guys will want bonus money after year three. Pietrangelo is signing in St. Louis. The moved out the cap room room to get it done.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Escrow will be a huge claw back on the first three years. Guys will want bonus money after year three. Pietrangelo is signing in St. Louis. The moved out the cap room room to get it done.
They moved out cap room to try and get it done.

Right now his agent is probably telling him to take meetings since UFA is one month away.

Why not since it's so close and will never get the chance again for a while.

FYI Leafs captain and him are buddies too.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They moved out cap room to try and get it done.

Right now his agent is probably yelling him to take meetings since UFA is one month away.

Why not since it's so close and will never get the chance again for a while.

FYI Leafs captain and him are buddies too.
Signing Pietrangelo would cost the Leafs another 10 plus million cap hit. That would be four guys making over 10 million. No team with even one guy making 10 million has won a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad