Confirmed with Link: Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kuapri, Gabe Vilardi + 2024 2nd round pick to Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wonder if people’s opinions would change if it comes out that Vilardi wanted to get every dime he could get out of his next contract (which would not be surprising or unreasonable considering his injury history)

Trevor Moore had a career year in 21/22, scoring at 49 point pace and turned it into a contract that most of the fanbase now thinks is excessive. Gabe Vilardi also had what has so far been his best season as a pro (a 53 point pace) and like Moore is probably trying to get paid big. We will have to see if Vilardi grows on that and takes another step, levels out at what he was last year or goes back to how he previously played in the NHL.

The idea that it made any sense for Vilardi to "take a bridge deal", "give a hometown discount" , "give a team friendly deal" , "bet on himself" never made any sense at all.

Don't at all blame Gabe for asking for security or money commensurate with production

Don't at all blame the Kings either for trying to sell him on a "mikey" show-me deal given his history

So seems like the parties were at an impasse that's carried over to Winnipeg too

Don't blame Gabe at all for being upset--dude always did wear his heart on his sleeve--and don't really blame the Kings for feeling a little grumpy given how much they had invested in him

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wonder if people’s opinions would change if it comes out that Vilardi wanted to get every dime he could get out of his next contract (which would not be surprising or unreasonable considering his injury history)
Considering the camps reportedly never talked, no.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Ooh. This vid slid under the radar from 6 months ago...

Did. Not. Age. Well.

Winnipeg is literally the polar opposite of the So Cal beach life. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Did. Not. Age. Well.

Meh, many players move away but keep a residence in SoCal. He's got enough money to come back any summer whenever he likes. Nothing is stopping him from retiring here one day and maybe joining the old boys club of coaches and advisors the Kings have collected. Gretzky was still in LA until like 2012-13 when he moved to St. Louis to be near Brett Hull and such.

Reactions: Lt Dan

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Did. Not. Age. Well.

Kings should have traded Moore and Lizotte and anything else Winnipeg wanted...Yafallo was the guy they wanted,Shits for Alex oh well its only until the 2025 TDL anyways

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The Journey of Pierre-Luc Dubois: Years 1-2
The Journey of Pierre Luc Dubois: Years 3-4

dubois.png

Written just today. A short but insightful look into PLD's career thus far.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm sure Blake was fully on the ball here and knew exactly what GV wanted and what it would cost to sign him. Having talks with his rep/agent throughout the year. Fully planning these things out on different scenarios for the team, cap, roster management -- and for different years annually going out with many different scenarios involved. Because that's what a decent GM does at the very least. Not surfing, fancy LA restaurant lunches/dinners and wine mixers.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Well, hopefully PLD can outscore Vilardi, Iafallo, and Kupari combined, because his cap hit is almost equal to theirs combined.
If PLD can set a new career high and hit the 80 pts mark we’ll be in good shape but I’d bet Gabe alone is going to outscore him. Iafallo will do what he does and if given a shot Kupari will be around 30pts ..

But we arguably have the best center depth in the league..

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If PLD can set a new career high and hit the 80 pts mark we’ll be in good shape but I’d bet Gabe alone is going to outscore him. Iafallo will do what he does and if given a shot Kupari will be around 30pts ..

But we arguably have the best center depth in the league..
An average at best #1, a mercurial #2 who can be dominant when he chooses, a stud #3 and a terrific #4.

Of course our wingers will lose 90% of the board battles, we will have 19 players in the lineup the second any nagging injuries pop up, a coach who insists on inviting pressure in instead of forcing it on the opponents, a curious goaltending tandem, and several formerly top prospects that will have to clear waivers before inevitably being sent down so the team is under the cap.

Just peachy.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well, hopefully PLD can outscore Vilardi, Iafallo, and Kupari combined, because his cap hit is almost equal to theirs combined.
Think of it this way - two roster spots were also gained. PLD is basically replacing Vilardi, so whoever is taking over Iafallo and Kupari's spots will also produce. Right now that's JAD and Lewis, so as long as those two combine for 30 points or so, it's a wash.

It's going to be hard to make a direct comparison anyways, maybe Winnipeg is a fantastic fit for one of the three, or maybe one of them just doesn't end up syncing up for whatever reason. But while a comparison like that won't necessarily be fair, it should be easy to judge the value of being able to put PLD out there at the end of the game instead of what we had. Our top 6 is somewhat better, while our top 9 is somewhat thinner.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Think of it this way - two roster spots were also gained. PLD is basically replacing Vilardi, so whoever is taking over Iafallo and Kupari's spots will also produce. Right now that's JAD and Lewis, so as long as those two combine for 30 points or so, it's a wash.

It's going to be hard to make a direct comparison anyways, maybe Winnipeg is a fantastic fit for one of the three, or maybe one of them just doesn't end up syncing up for whatever reason. But while a comparison like that won't necessarily be fair, it should be easy to judge the value of being able to put PLD out there at the end of the game instead of what we had. Our top 6 is somewhat better, while our top 9 is somewhat thinner.
Not sure we can say two roster spots gained when the Kings are going with a 21-man roster to make the cap work, in part because of how much they are spending on PLD.

Yes, it opened up spots in the lineup, but Lizotte replaced Kupari and Lewis replaced Iafallo. The biggest beneficiary of this move was Kaliyev, and it still remains to be seen if he'll even get more than bottom-six ice time.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
An average at best #1, a mercurial #2 who can be dominant when he chooses, a stud #3 and a terrific #4.

Of course our wingers will lose 90% of the board battles, we will have 19 players in the lineup the second any nagging injuries pop up, a coach who insists on inviting pressure in instead of forcing it on the opponents, a curious goaltending tandem, and several formerly top prospects that will have to clear waivers before inevitably being sent down so the team is under the cap.

Just peachy.
And yet that’s what we have and will need to roll with.. I’m still going to say that this team regardless of construction will be limited by it’s coach.. So I agree with your assessment and if an injury was to happen, we’re properly f ucked!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad