Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk - **Please READ MOD WARNINGS In First Post Before Posting***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That's the problem.

At the end of the day, you're putting blame on him for being the victim in this case.

Are you listening to yourself? "She shouldn't have gone to that random party... She shouldn't have worn a skirt... She could have avoided it... "

What he does on his own time is not relevant to the situation. He was attacked by his jealous girlfriend, and it was bad enough for police to be called. That's the story. The girlfriend is the story.

The only reason it isn't is because people are trying to make this into the story they WANT it to be.

Look buddy. No one is saying Galchenyuk's GF is a saint. She's probably sort of wacko and will get what she deserves.

The point, as far as the CH is concerned, is that Galchenyuk and DSP were partying more than all night long, things got heated, police had to come in. And there's practice the day after.

It just doesn't look very professional.

Saying Galchenyuk looks bad in that has nothing to do with some form of reverse sexism or anything. His (ex)GF looks even worse than him. We all agree on that.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'm accusing him of having a jealous girlfriend? I did no such thing

Again, you guys are the one's jumping to conclusions, I haven't faulted AG for anything other than being in the middle of an unfortunate situation, a situation which was not random, it's a situation that he could of handed differently (not the being assaulted part)

Oh please. You are accusing him of making bad press for the team and himself for something he has no control. You keep saying it's his fault for what happened to him. What he did was perfectly normal and nothing wrong with it. You said that if he didn't party late it wouldnt have happened.

You might not realize it but you have the exact same mentality with the rapist who accused his victim to be pretty and wear sexy clothes.

You said it right. No party, no girls=you won't get beat

Same thing as. No sexy clothes. No make up = not going to get raped.

Same effing mentality of blaming the victim who didn't do anything bad.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The only way he's related to this story is that he's the victim.

That's the problem.

He COULD have done this, he COULD have done that.

At the end of the day, you're putting blame on him for being the victim in this case.

Are you listening to yourself? "She shouldn't have gone to that random party... She shouldn't have worn a skirt... She could have avoided it... "

What he does on his own time is not relevant to the situation. He was attacked by his jealous girlfriend, and it was bad enough for police to be called. That's the story. The girlfriend is the story.

The only reason it isn't is because people are trying to make this into the story they WANT it to be.

Again, I'm not putting the blame on him for being assaulted.

I do think he's responsible, on some level, for the choices he made leading up to that event?

Is he allowed to have a party? Sure
Is he allowed to have a party til 8am? absolutely
Is he allowed to enjoy the company of 1, 2, or 3+ women if he wants? go ahead

but when you're GF shows up the next day and punches you in the nose, gets arreated, then the story blows up all over the media the next day and then you're called into the GM's office to discuss it...

Don't sit there and tell me he's not responsible on some level.

because I can guarantee you that had he chosen to cut the party short at 4am and sent everyone home. there would be no issue here.

Saying that, doesn't mean that I think he's responsible for being assaulted...it just means I think he's responsible, as a professional athlete to dictate where his career goes and making the right decisions off-the-ice, is a part of that

Again, he's 21yrs old....he'll learn.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
So basically with the additional facts, this is even less than meets the eye. We can't even make up stories in our imagination...

An all dressed get-together in someone's home gets out of control when people that are not AG or a CH player, come back to get stuff that they forgot early in the morning. And it upsets a not AG or CH player, when they come back? Welcome to what's happened to 100% of everyone. Am I missing something. I really hope so.:laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And you don't see the contradiction between the two? If Galchenyuk is not responsible for the assault, he isn't responsible for the "optics", his girlfriend is. He is the victim. It's that simple.

Wording matters. Now, if you said that Galchenyuk's profile is the reason for the "optics" then sure, that's obvious and reasonable. But your constant use of the words "responsible" is a very poor at best.
It's not a contradiction....both statements can stand on their own, they certainly don't need to the conclusion drawn, that you're doing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As is saying he could have done things differently and avoided this whole situation altogether.

It's like when a girl is sexually assaulted and you hear crap like "well, she shouldn't have been drinking... she shouldn't have been dressed that way... it's not her fault, but, if she was more responsible maybe it wouldn't have happened... "

I don't get the parallels you're drawing here lol

You're using one extreme example and applying it to the other when the circumstances are COMPLETELY different.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't have to try to make it look bad....it does.

I think a lot of posters here defending Galchenyuk are just assuming that:

It looks bad = it is bad.

Galchenyuk most probably didn't do anything bad. But he did put himself in a situation where the potential for it looking bad was through the roof.

Not the same. At this point, saying 'it looks bad for him' is just a factual statement.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh please. You are accusing him of making bad press for the team and himself for something he has no control. You keep saying it's his fault for what happened to him. What he did was perfectly normal and nothing wrong with it. You said that if he didn't party late it wouldnt have happened.

You might not realize it but you have the exact same mentality with the rapist who accused his victim to be pretty and wear sexy clothes.

You said it right. No party, no girls=you won't get beat

Same thing as. No sexy clothes. No make up = not going to get raped.

Same effing mentality of blaming the victim who didn't do anything bad.

Again, you can draw extreme examples which have NOTHING to do with what I wrote....doesn't change what I said.

I'm sure if you guys asked AG himself, he'd probably say that there were certain things he'd probably do differently today

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The only way he's related to this story is that he's the victim.

So, let's not make assumptions...but he SURELY didn't do anything wrong? He,s the victim? By "let's not make assumptions" does that actually mean "Let's not fault my favorite player 'cause he's a star and I love him"??? Is he the victim because he wasn't arrested? But then, even if he was...wouldn't people come in here and say "Can we wait till we know the whole story....who cares if he was arrested....charges can easily be dropped etc."???

I really thought not making assumptions work one way AND THE OTHER.....I know that in the end, HE'S the Habs player, this is the Habs board, and the kid needs to surround himself with better people and needs to party "adequately". I couldn,t care less about her as she's not the one who needs to score me 2 goals and play a great games. The only thing that this story makes us wonder is if he has the best surroundings possible.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Your opinion is not a fact

Clearly...you don't follow the news and aren't privy to what most Habs fans have been discussing today.

I guess the Montreal Canadiens, on their off day, are in the news for good reasons right?

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
So, let's not make assumptions...but he SURELY didn't do anything wrong? He,s the victim? By "let's not make assumptions" does that actually mean "Let's not fault my favorite player 'cause he's a star and I love him"???

Is he the victim because he wasn't arrested? But then, even if he was...wouldn't people come in here and say "Can we wait till we know the whole story....who cares if he was arrested....charges can easily be dropped etc."???

I really thought not making assumptions work one way AND THE OTHER.....

You said a lot of things without saying anything, Whitesnake. We all make assumptions, that doesn't mean that all assumptions are reasonable or warranted.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
So, let's not make assumptions...but he SURELY didn't do anything wrong? He,s the victim? By "let's not make assumptions" does that actually mean "Let's not fault my favorite player 'cause he's a star and I love him"???

Is he the victim because he wasn't arrested? But then, even if he was...wouldn't people come in here and say "Can we wait till we know the whole story....who cares if he was arrested....charges can easily be dropped etc."???

I really thought not making assumptions work one way AND THE OTHER.....

Not saying we shouldn't ship out of town AG or DSP anyways. Or that they might otherwise not have the right character... But with the facts unfolding this is a domestic dispute under circumstances that 100% of the posters on this board have lived probably several times. Unless they've lived under a rock their whole life or are under 14 years of age.

If you read the JdeM story. This is nothing. Wrapped in a nothing. The only reason we talk about this is why we talk about Donald Trump's hair. It's something boring and common associated with somebody famous.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Look buddy. No one is saying Galchenyuk's GF is a saint. She's probably sort of wacko and will get what she deserves.

The point, as far as the CH is concerned, is that Galchenyuk and DSP were partying more than all night long, things got heated, police had to come in. And there's practice the day after.

It just doesn't look very professional.

Saying Galchenyuk looks bad in that has nothing to do with some form of reverse sexism or anything. His (ex)GF looks even worse than him. We all agree on that.

I don't understand how this reflects on his professionalism at all. He was in his house, he wasn't at some ****ing club. HIS HOUSE.

I do think he's responsible, on some level, for the choices he made leading up to that event?

but when you're GF shows up the next day and punches you in the nose, gets arreated, then the story blows up all over the media the next day and then you're called into the GM's office to discuss it...

because I can guarantee you that had he chosen to cut the party short at 4am and sent everyone home. there would be no issue here.

Saying that, doesn't mean that I think he's responsible for being assaulted...it just means I think he's responsible, as a professional athlete to dictate where his career goes and making the right decisions off-the-ice, is a part of that

There's no way I will ever agree with this. I'm sorry, but it is ****ing twisted logic to say that he could have/should have done things differently to avoid the whole situation.

No matter what he was doing, it doesn't matter.

Newsflash for you man... Couples fight ALL THE TIME. People get jealous ALL THE TIME. And people cheat on their spouses ALL THE TIME. But how often does it lead to violence? Girls walk around looking pretty ALL THE TIME, but how often does it lead to rape?

You're putting the blame on the wrong person. You keep saying you don't blame him, but saying he's responsible, saying he could have done things different DOES put the blame on him.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Clearly...you don't follow the news and aren't privy to what most Habs fans have been discussing today.

I guess the Montreal Canadiens, on their off day, are in the news for good reasons right?

You still resort to anecdotal evidence to prove your point and it's still wrong.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Galchenyuk isn't responsible for isolated incidents from his wacky friends of varying intimacy. Now if he stays friends and has relations with any person that causes him to be in the headlines and it happens again, then it's his fault.

Scrooged had it right. Scrape em off.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

They are rightly in the news because one of their players' girlfriend got arrested for assaulting him. That's it. Galchenyuk is being blamed by others because he happens to be a male and as some biasedly worded, "an overpaid professional athlete".

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't get the parallels you're drawing here lol

You're using one extreme example and applying it to the other when the circumstances are COMPLETELY different.

Except, it's not.

A girl has the right to dress provocatively without getting raped.

And he has the right to cheat on his girlfriend (not saying he did) without her getting violent.

It's kind of messed up that you don't consider domestic violence as "extreme"... She gave him a bloody nose. People who do that usually have done stuff like that before.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014

because I can guarantee you that had he chosen to cut the party short at 4am and sent everyone home. there wou

This is victim blaming 101.

"I think she's responsible for being assaulted...it just means I think she's responsible, as a professional athlete to dictate where her career goes and making the right decisions off-the-ice, is a part of that"

All I did was switch him to her.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Seriously, what's the big deal?

If HE had hit and bloodied her nose, it would be HUGE scandal. As it is, it's a millionaire 21 y.o. sports star in a hockey mad city partying to the wee hours in the morning before a day off and 5 days before his next game. The issue is more that his girlfriend lost her mind. He did the right thing by not being the aggressor and keeping his calm.

That being said, I will miss you Alex Galchenyuk. Good luck with your next team... :sarcasm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You said a lot of things without saying anything, Whitesnake. We all make assumptions, that doesn't mean that all assumptions are reasonable or warranted.

People in here defending Gally said to not make assumptions. Fine. But then immediately after saying that, they say that he's the victim, she,s the nutcase. So I guess the part of making assumptions isn't true then. Fine.

Now, we will never know the real story. Why? Because if it looks bad for Alex, people in here who loves Alex will say that media if full of ****. If the SAME media report that Alex didn't do anything bad...the SAME people will say "See! He did nothing". It's always about agenda.

My take? He wasn't the one arrested. As far as the incident is concerned, he is NOT to blame. He might have done things that aren't right morally....but everybody do. It becomes serious when the law starts taking care of it. And he's not the one with that problem. BUT.....he is the party guy that everybody close to those scenes keep talking about. Wins, losses, games, no games, he is seen partying. Does it matter? Well....maybe not if the result on the ice doesn't show it. But then, everybody close to those night clubs might see a Galchy bad game and surely link it to the night he had before....Point is his lifestyle CANNOT be detrimental to his game. Period. The day that it is, it IS a problem. That's all. Let Bergevin talk to him and make him understand that he can do what he wants, but it just better not be a reason for bad performances.

If it would be the 1st time that we would hear about stories like that regarding Galchy, everybody's reaction would have been....poor kid. Get that crazy ***** out of his life. But...there are other stories out there. Price had his stories too. And somehow, it was known that it's behind him now. Kids are being kids and it's fine. But at one point, you need to move on and be a man. But most importantly....it can,t be a reason of your bad performances. That's all. He already has stupid Therrien on his back....no need to have the rest of the team....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Have the domestic violence conversation in the political threads. We've issued threadbans to some and we'll issue more if this keeps going off topic. The points on domestic violence have been made, now move on.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think we're missing the silver lining here. DSP has bonded with the future #1c superstar.

I have no doubt his scoring touch will rub off on DSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad