Confirmed with Link: Alex Burmistrov staying in Russia next season

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
How often is the home team paying almost 2x the amount after taxes and speaks another language?

I guess I went OT there. That wasn't a shot at Burmistrov.

I wish more top Canadian talent wanted to play here (e.g. Parise & Suter going back to Minnesota)... but most of them don't. Certainly hasn't helped with the 21+ year Stanley Cup drought we've going going on.

Last edited:

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
So you're saying they should have let a 21 year old underproducing kid on his ELC basically run the coach out of town? That would have worked out great.

TNSE did what any workplace would have done.
This x 100
[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
This is not true.

If he does not sign with Jets before June 30, 2019 he becomes a UFA.

I meant to add "for several years", just wasn't aware of the specific termination date. Regardless, as long as they keep annually qualifying his NHL contract up until that date then it will remain their property for very long time.

You basically clipped my post and left the balance of context out, and used just a snippet of a sentence. As I stated, he doesn't represent a lost asset yet (counter to some other erroneous claims made here), as they may get something in a trade return for that contract during the interim, or he could even theoretically come back (though I doubt they'll have any room for him on the Winnipeg roster in the future).

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
turns out the 21 year old was right. Noel should have been run out of town earlier.

But I'm glad we have good NA boys like James Wright and Chris Thorburn to fill our roster.

Turns out the 21 year old has chosen more money to play at home and doesn't view playing in the NHL as being the be all and end all of leagues to play in. Also turns out there is a never ending supply of people who resort to the everyone must hate Burmi because he is Russian and cherry pick the two of the worst forwards on our roster to make some unrelated point meme.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Turns out the 21 year old has chosen more money to play at home and doesn't view playing in the NHL as being the be all and end all of leagues to play in. Also turns out there is a never ending supply of people who resort to the everyone must hate Burmi because he is Russian and cherry pick the two of the worst forwards on our roster to make some unrelated point meme.

Ba-zing-ga.... tbt id much rather blame the gm :sarcasm:

No, but it seems like were i to look at then entirety of Burmigate, it really boils down to him being a whiny little snot who pouts and uses his option of playing at home as a crutch/punishment to true north.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

anyone who argues having him on our team wouldn't have made us better is wrong.

If you'd rather cast the net wider, he would have been better than Peluso, Slater, Cormier, Seto, Jokinen (arguable maybe?), Halischuk, Tangradi.

Anyways, my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because I felt the post I was responding to was silly. I suppose it's arguable whether Noel should have remained coach but I'm firmly in the camp that he was not a good coach for this team.

I don't understand where the 'whiny' meme comes in regarding him (not you) - I agree completely that he's following the money and why would anyone hold that against him? And at the same time, why would anyone feel bad/sorry for someone who gets paid millions to play sport.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

If you'd rather cast the net wider, he would have been better than Peluso, Slater, Cormier, Seto, Jokinen (arguable maybe?), Halischuk, Tangradi.

Anyways, my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because I felt the post I was responding to was silly. I suppose it's arguable whether Noel should have remained coach but I'm firmly in the camp that he was not a good coach for this team.

I don't understand where the 'whiny' meme comes in regarding him (not you) - I agree completely that he's following the money and why would anyone hold that against him? And at the same time, why would anyone feel bad/sorry for someone who gets paid millions to play sport.

I agree having him on the team would make us better and would like to see him continue his development while being a member of the Jets but not at the price he was supposedly asking for, nor am I going to absolve him of all blame in what went down with Noel, the blame for that should be shared between the two. I just think the whole AHL calibre coach meme is stupid and way overused. I don't think Noel was the right fit for the team either as it turned out but the reason for that is not as simple as just saying he's an AHL coach. (not that this is what you are saying but others have suggested it)

Those players you mentioned with the possible exception of Jokinen are all worse than Burmistrov but they are not on the team instead of Burmistrov (meaning they would chose them over Burmistrov if given the chance)

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

I wasn't suggesting that having him on our team wouldn't make us better. I was responding to a post that stated TNSE chose Noel over Burmi and they made the wrong choice. I was suggesting that in cases like this in any business management will usually side with management no matter how talented the junior employee thinks he is. Not sure why you think that's so silly.

Don't get me wrong. I also believe that Noel was wrong for this group. I'm really happy that Paul Maurice is now coach. But if you think Noel had lost the room by the end imagine what would have happened if TNSE had essentially "chosen Burmi".

"OK Alex I totally agree. You are better than Olli. Claude... make sure Alex plays. And stop being so mean to him".

Good luck getting anyone in that room back.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
We should close this thread. There is no point to talk about him being a useless, greedy, communistic locker room cancer over and over again since we have our definite answer by now.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Would have been nice to have him back, but hard to argue with the decision he made for himself. Was his to make. It does make him into old news though... don't know what value, if any, he will have after two years away from NHL level competition... doubt he's developing as much or as fast there as he would of here.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Another reason you don't draft Russians in the 1st round

Again I will tell you what I heard

He originally wanted a 4-5 year deal worth 4+ per year. The Jets were willing either to give him a 2 year 2.5 per year deal or a 1 year 2 million deal. He rejected that and went back to Russia. I don't know exactly how much he got there last year but I bet it was 3+ and tax free.

Again they approached him this year after the KHL season and he still wants that long term 4 year 4+ million per year deal. This is a guy who's last NHL season saw him put up 10 points in 44 games. I don't know why he thinks he deserves that much money already and quite frankly I am glad they would pass on him.

If this is true, I can absolutely see why the Jets and at least two other teams balked at this player. I like Burmi, but not at anywhere near that type of dough - not at this point in his career.

As for people bringing up Oliie and other contracts, I think that is a bit of a red herring argument. Because you make a money mistake on someone is not reason to perpetuate it on someone else. Again, if Joe's comments are accurate, easy to see why the Jets did not sign him, and trades did not get done. Him and his agents have priced him out of the NHL - good on him for getting big money in Russia.

AriIQ

Jan 21, 2013
Winnipeg
If I was working in Russia, and I was offered twice as much as I am currently making to work in my hometown, I would probably take that deal.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I wasn't suggesting that having him on our team wouldn't make us better. I was responding to a post that stated TNSE chose Noel over Burmi and they made the wrong choice. I was suggesting that in cases like this in any business management will usually side with management no matter how talented the junior employee thinks he is. Not sure why you think that's so silly.

Don't get me wrong. I also believe that Noel was wrong for this group. I'm really happy that Paul Maurice is now coach. But if you think Noel had lost the room by the end imagine what would have happened if TNSE had essentially "chosen Burmi".

"OK Alex I totally agree. You are better than Olli. Claude... make sure Alex plays. And stop being so mean to him".

Good luck getting anyone in that room back.

Fair enough. I wouldn't suggest that burmi should/would be the catalyst for the coaching change - it should have happened regardless, and sooner, and in the end the jets would have been better off with burmi on the team and a different coach at the helm.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
If I was working in Russia, and I was offered twice as much as I am currently making to work in my hometown, I would probably take that deal.

exactly. i mean you'd have to REALLY want to work for that russian organization to stick around.

It's ****** that he stayed. but if Joes right and that's the money being tossed around then i can totally see

I still don't buy that he was a whiny little ****. I think there are guys that have better attitudes and DO want to play in the NHL bad enough to battle through something like this, but that's rare. They all usually reach success much sooner.

I mean really, how many russian players are in the NHL and had to play "bit parts" for more then 2 years, or are still playing in those roles?

I think if he'd had more success he'd be more willing to come back as well. But as it is it's not too suprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad