Confirmed with Link: Alex Burmistrov staying in Russia next season

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

jetkarma*

Well my 25% chance just bottomed out .

Not surprising of course and likely another note to the sad legacy of the Thrashers.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I bet Ollie told him at the WHC he was going to resign with Winnipeg so you may have your gold medal but you won't take my 3rd line C position in Winnipeg :sarcasm:

Oh well, poopy news but we'll see what else happens this offseason

jetkarma*

Not that it is wrong to base the choice on dollars , but it does indicate the passion or lack there of he has for the NHL imo.

The risk of taking Russian players , it simply is what it is.

Again , he should make whatever choice is right for him or do what he wants , but once bitten twice shy.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
From what I heard from few sources:
1) Jets were interested, gave offer
2) Ak Bars countered
3) Jets couldn't compete with offer

I think the correct word for their interest would be wouldn't rather than couldn't compete.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not that it is wrong to base the choice on dollars , but it does indicate the passion or lack there of he has for the NHL imo.

The risk of taking Russian players , it simply is what it is.

Again , he should make whatever choice is right for him or do what he wants , but once bitten twice shy.

I agree in risk, but I view the risk not being passion but rather not having a monopoly on the player. Especially since he was open to coming back and did indeed discuss with team representatives (well his representatives did, not Burmi).

It's a risk in Russians that you are not the only bidder.

jetkarma*

I agree in risk, but I view the risk not being passion but rather not having a monopoly on the player. Especially since he was open to coming back and did indeed discuss with team representatives (well his representatives did, not Burmi).

It's a risk in Russians that you are not the only bidder.

Yes but also a risk IF the player you pick doesn't have a passion for the NHL , makes it much easier to leave if you aren't getting exactly what you want.

Again , it wasn't his fault he was picked at 8 , and not his fault selecting the more lucrative option , and we shouldn't blame him , I am not . I am saying it has been a terrible pick though , and yes it is hindsight , but those that still defend the pick /him should say the value for the asset never has been realized. IMO.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yes but also a risk IF the player you pick doesn't have a passion for the NHL , makes it much easier to leave if you aren't getting exactly what you want.

Again , it wasn't his fault he was picked at 8 , and not his fault selecting the more lucrative option , and we shouldn't blame him , I am not . I am saying it has been a terrible pick though , and yes it is hindsight , but those that still defend the pick /him should say the value for the asset never has been realized. IMO.

42% chance that a 6-10 pick reaches top 6 quality forward (or top 4 d).

Not sure about that.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Based on what Garret is saying I think its fair to say that Burmi is getting a big raise in the KHL. With a number of free agents we have this year I would imagine that if his deal puts us above or close to our budget its a sizable number.

Best news I heard all day.

Yeah I totally hate when my favourite team gets (at worst) a trade chip.

:shakehead:

jetkarma*

I've heard that it's not that flexible.
There's a bit of fluidity where they can spend one year if they think they got a chance of going deep, but that also has consequences.

Consequences? In what way?

Understood Burmistrov would want a 5 million a yr offer , but that is not prudent , and of course overpayment to the extreme . He chose to take a higher offer than a realistic fair one and not playing in the NHL matters little if at all to him .

Hindsight yes , but terrible use of a premium asset and at best below mediocre return .

jetkarma*

42% chance that a 6-10 pick reaches top 6 quality forward (or top 4 d).

Not sure about that.

So it will be at least two years and most likely all subsequent years , he will be a bust as an NHL player , as he isn't one. That makes it a terrible decision in hindsight.

Plus those odds take in all teams , do you have stats for the top tier drafting teams?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Consequences? In what way?

Understood Burmistrov would want a 5 million a yr offer , but that is not prudent , and of course overpayment to the extreme . He chose to take a higher offer than a realistic fair one and not playing in the NHL matters little if at all to him .

Hindsight yes , but terrible use of a premium asset and at best below mediocre return .

You can't use hindsight to judge usage of an asset. That's using information not known as certainty at the time. There was always risk that Burmi would go to KHL. There was also 68% chance any pick there wouldn't amount to a top6 player.

We can't even 100% judge the return as well as there is always next year. (although I've always been doubtful Burmistrov would return)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So it will be at least two years and most likely all subsequent years , he will be a bust as an NHL player , as he isn't one. That makes it a terrible decision in hindsight.

Plus those odds take in all teams , do you have stats for the top tier drafting teams?

Top tier seems to roll like the waves. It's mostly (not wholly) luck that separates team's draft record from the mean rather than talent in scouting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well at least his decision was made early. It allows the Jets the time to move on and look at other options. Would have liked to see him back in the bottom 6 but there are other options out there.

jetkarma*

You can't use hindsight to judge usage of an asset. That's using information not known as certainty at the time. There was always risk that Burmi would go to KHL. There was also 68% chance any pick there wouldn't amount to a top6 player.

We can't even 100% judge the return as well as there is always next year. (although I've always been doubtful Burmistrov would return)

You always can use hindsight to judge use of an asset .

You evaluate it , which is what is being done currently.

IF he returns and becomes say a T J Oshie for the next 8 years , can you use hindsight to evaluate the use of the asset then?

So you factor in the flight risk , paired with the players character and maturity and passion or lack thereof for the NHL , you still use the pick for him? Think that the Jets have not factored those elements in their picks? I know they have.

Good on him for having and taking a lucrative offer , nothing wrong for doing that , but as it stands that anyone can say it has not been a bad choice is truly beyond me.

He won't provide ANY value for at least two prime years , and may not ever again play in the NHL , and that is not even weighing what his value was when he was here . Even if he was as good as some trumpet , it doesn't overide the fact he is not helping this franchise one iota now or in the near ( if ever ) future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad