Value of: Aleksander Barkov to Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
he's one of the most untouchable players in the league IMHO....
so technically, Calgary would require to take Bob's contract and the value would be still preposterous for FLA
I was thinking the exact same thing. AT some point they will need to move Bob but the term of the contract and amount make it impossible. That contract set the team back 5 years. How Bob has just forgot how to play the position is a mystery but he was incredibly bad last year.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Barkov will not waive to go to Calgary or any Canadian destination. He is in control and he won't go from a no-tax state to Canada and lose around $1,000,000 in take home pay over the next two years.
Just out of curiosity has he publicly said that?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida needs an LD right? Is there a way maybe Monahan + LD + depth player might work? I'm thinking Hanifin as the D piece coming back.
Not enough: Barkov is only available for a top tier piece. You have one but won’t want to trade him

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Not enough: Barkov is only available for a top tier piece. You have one but won’t want to trade him
I'm not a Flames fan, but i would take Barkov over Gaudreau(if that is the top piece you are alleging). Would something like Gaudreau + Backlund/Lindholm work? Maybe tack on/swap a minor asset too.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'm not a Flames fan, but i would take Barkov over Gaudreau(if that is the top piece you are alleging). Would something like Gaudreau + Backlund/Lindholm work? Maybe tack on/swap a minor asset too.
The Panthers have awful center depth, so trading Barkov for Wingers really just make the lineup worse even if the pieces coming back would be equally talented. I love Acciari, but I don't want to start the season with him being #1C.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No Gaudreau walks in 2 years, But the same could be said with Barkov as well. Sorry but Gaudreau+Backlund/Lindholm isn't nearly enough for an elite 1C like Aleksander Barkov.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Florida Finnlanders will not trade their Captain this year.
The new GM gushes about him and will likely do anything to keep him there long term.

As said above, Barkov won't waive for a Canadian city/big market and take a tax cut
I know FLA hasn't done much in the 6 years he's been there but I'd be surprised if he doesn't re-sign with the Finnlanders.
Sounds like a natural born leader. Clearly winning is the most important thing for him. He can lose in a non hockey market for the rest of his career and make 95 million instead of 90.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That’s not the top piece: MT is it.

JG is great but he isn’t really an improvement over Huberdeau and our team lacks center depth. It really does not make sense to trade Barky unless (a) we aren’t bullish on the future and (b) the center piece of the package is someone like MT and then an add. We won’t get a better player today than Barky and frankly trading Barky means we give up the probability that we re sign him (which I have as quite high) so we probably won’t be better tomato

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I would move Tkachuk and Monahan for Barkov and a futures piece. I'm probably in the minority with Flames fans, but I value Barkov extremely high. For me, he's a top 5-10 center and does everything well. He's a Toews/Kopitar type in his prime and on a value contract. But I would want to know I can keep him long term first, because I know Tkachuk will sign here and he has lots of team control left. Adding Barkov is the type of move that actually moves the needle for this franchise.

Reactions: zar

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would move Tkachuk and Monahan for Barkov and a futures piece. I'm probably in the minority with Flames fans, but I value Barkov extremely high. For me, he's a top 5-10 center and does everything well. He's a Toews/Kopitar type in his prime and on a value contract. But I would want to know I can keep him long term first, because I know Tkachuk will sign here and he has lots of team control left. Adding Barkov is the type of move that actually moves the needle for this franchise.

We would want you to move to FLA to become the Panthers 2nd fan though.
That's the deal breaker.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Where should he go Bert?
Where's his best chance to win?
If he grows irritated In FLA there would be 4-5 serious teams I think he would pick in free agency. Rangers, Av’s, Kings, Canes ( if they have the space) are the major ones I see loaded with young talent on the cusp of being excellent for an extended period of time. I feel Rangers would go very hard for him being that zibby’s contract is up the same time as barkov turns FA. He checks a lot of boxes for them. All the teams above have loaded farm systems and a great young core who are going to be under contract control for the next 5-7 years at least. They also have young players in the system to replace any personnel who may be traded. The kings are loaded at a C depth but if they could add a talent like Barkov I’m sure they would shift some to wing or trade for a stellar winger to put next to him. Just off the top of my head

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No chance Barkov is worth both Monahan and Tkachuk but that's likely what their demand would be, and I don't blame them... you don't just trade a legit 1C like that for anything other than over pay.
In a vacuum you are correct. But you're Monahan and Tkachuk for him and 6+M in cap space.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Barkov is a:

ppg 1C that has topped 90+ points, top 10-15 C in the league
25 years old
signed to a great deal with 2 years left
Selke caliber center

And you want him for a rich man's Tyler Bozak.
The bolded just isn't true, his defense was always overrated and I don't think he'll ever be a true contender for Selke in a league where there's players like Couturier, ROR, Bergeron, Stone, Cirelli etc. But the rest of your points stand

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
In a vacuum you are correct. But you're Monahan and Tkachuk for him and 6+M in cap space.
Ahh, great point... I'm totally not thinking about cap situation and Barkovs great contract, that's a game changer. I feel like Barkov would be better off going to a true contender though because he's getting 10M on his next ticket.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Barkov is nice but he looked a litte sorft in the playoffs. What was that about

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's not just a throw in, he's a very solid 2/3 with still a low 1 upside that any team would love to have.
Hanifin is like Phaneuf or Nurse. Not a similar type of player entirely, but a guy with Norris level physical tools, but no hockey sense. I don't think he will get better significantly. He is a good 2nd pairing guy who can play in all situations, but I don't see #1 upside there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad