Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Crewmember on Film Set

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hopefully a full investigation is being done and someone, whether it’s Alec, or someone else, lands behind bars. This is literally inexcusable.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As the article says, it was a "misfiring of a prop gun with blanks." That can still be deadly and they were filming a 19th-century Western, so the revolver or rifle may've not been the most reliable in the first place. For example, maybe the trigger was touchy and it went off accidentally. It's possible that Baldwin was careless, too, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we learn more.

Ironically, the plot of the movie involves an accidental killing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
If I'm not mistaken, a blank is a round that has no projectile but still a significant amount of gun powder in it, which makes the loud noise when it's ignited by the primer that sounds similar to a real round going off. That gun powder is still under pressure, so it can still fire out of it any projectile that might be in the gun, like debris. I've heard of a case of someone putting a gun filled with blanks to their head and firing as a joke thinking it was harmless, but the pressure of the gunpowder had nowhere to go with the barrel pressed firmly against their skin so the person's skull actually fractured and essentially became a projectile itself, killing them.

In the case of Brandon Lee, they had earlier removed the gunpowder from cartridges to create a "dummy round" which has no gun powder but still has a primer and a projectile, so it looks authentic. The trigger was pulled with the dummy rounds in at some point but with no gun powder the bullet didn't fire completely but apparently there was still enough pressure that the bullet left the cartridge and became lodged in the chamber and nobody noticed. The gun was then loaded with blanks and when they were fired during the scene, that round caught in the chamber was fired, killing Brandon Lee.

Not sure what happened in this case here but I highly doubt it's anything intentional, just negligence/bad accident. I doubt Alec Baldwin is charged with a crime. He is the world's greatest actor, after all.

Reactions: Know Your Enemy

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Honestly I'm surprised there's nothing about Baldwin having any injuries. A cinematographer and director being the victims makes me think some shitty prop gun exploded backstage or something.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, a blank is a round that has no projectile but still a significant amount of gun powder in it, which makes the loud noise when it's ignited by the primer that sounds similar to a real round going off. That gun powder is still under pressure, so it can still fire out of it any projectile that might be in the gun, like debris. I've heard of a case of someone putting a gun filled with blanks to their head and firing as a joke thinking it was harmless, but the pressure of the gunpowder had nowhere to go with the barrel pressed firmly against their skin so the person's skull actually fractured and essentially became a projectile itself, killing them.

In the case of Brandon Lee, they had earlier removed the gunpowder from cartridges to create a "dummy round" which has no gun powder but still has a primer and a projectile, so it looks authentic. The trigger was pulled with the dummy rounds in at some point but with no gun powder the bullet didn't fire completely but apparently there was still enough pressure that the bullet left the cartridge and became lodged in the chamber and nobody noticed. The gun was then loaded with blanks and when they were fired during the scene, that round caught in the chamber was fired, killing Brandon Lee.

Not sure what happened in this case here but I highly doubt it's anything intentional, just negligence/bad accident. I doubt Alec Baldwin is charged with a crime. He is the world's greatest actor, after all.

That was Jon-Erik Hexum in the early 80s who accidentally killed himself with a prop gun.

It had wads of paper in it I believe and when he held it to his temple as a joke and pulled the trigger, the impact damaged his brain.

He went into a coma and died a few days later.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
That was Jon-Erik Hexum in the early 80s who accidentally killed himself with a prop gun.

It had wads of paper in it I believe and when he held it to his temple as a joke and pulled the trigger, the impact damaged his brain.

Ahh, yeah that must have been what I was thinking of.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Ahh, yeah that must have been what I was thinking of.

Unfortunately, both of these scenarios happened as you each explained them. Brandon Lee was killed when a bullet that was lodged within the barrell ended up being fired out after a dummy round was shot in the weapon.

Jon-Erik Hexum was playing around doing a pretend game of Russian Roulette in between filming after the scenes weren't filmed up to the director's standard. The plastic/paper debris from the dummy round was ejected from the weapon and damaged Hexum's brain.

I recently began buying replica western weapons to learn how to twirl (like Tombstone or Revolver Ocelot), and it is beyond me how Hollywood film crews could not have a licensed firearm expert there to inspect and clear every weapon before every scene. After these earlier two situations with Lee and Hexum I'm not sure why they even use fully functional firearms anyway, given the accuracy of non-firing replicas which can use caps and the capabilities of modern digital editing. It couldn't cost them more than a few hundred bucks to get a very high-quality non-firing replica.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Shitty luck created in-part by someone not doing their job properly, if all that is in the article is to be believed.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
I don't know much about how movies are made nor have I ever fired a gun, but how exactly do the director and cinematography get shot at? Would a cinematographer stand in to rehearse a scene or something? Why would the gun be pointed in their direction?

Reactions: Chabot84

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I don't know much about how movies are made nor have I ever fired a gun, but how exactly do the director and cinematography get shot at? Would a cinematographer stand in to rehearse a scene or something? Why would the gun be pointed in their direction?

Baldwin could have been going over a scene, discussing how it should look/change

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Very sad. I'm curious if this happened while they were filming or if he was carrying it and/or just dropped it on set off camera. I learned that blanks were dangerous from the movie In Bruges:

5cyYn_K8bau5i1zvOgIeYJSwpJPLzIcFrnaUZGdWGYmnOhcoZrMg4dL8drNgXwW0KFFBfl9IoRbMREzC3lhZ_AT9AeQ2jnDwCv1DO_fwh0g=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad