Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Crewmember on Film Set

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Yea you’re right, Baldwin will get off scott free because of his status but the normal joe would easily be seeing jail time. Involuntary manslaughter is a very real and serious charge.

We don't even exactly know how this happened yet, so it's weird to assume that it was Baldwin's fault. There's people in charge of props and weapon safety, it's possible someone there screwed up, or it's possible Baldwin did something stupid himself. We don't know.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We don't even exactly know how this happened yet, so it's weird to assume that it was Baldwin's fault. There's people in charge of props and weapon safety, it's possible someone there screwed up, or it's possible Baldwin did something stupid himself. We don't know.
Sure, my initial post said Alec or someone else. What we do know is someone royally f***ed up and it cost a poor lady her life.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Unfortunately, both of these scenarios happened as you each explained them. Brandon Lee was killed when a bullet that was lodged within the barrell ended up being fired out after a dummy round was shot in the weapon.

Jon-Erik Hexum was playing around doing a pretend game of Russian Roulette in between filming after the scenes weren't filmed up to the director's standard. The plastic/paper debris from the dummy round was ejected from the weapon and damaged Hexum's brain.

I recently began buying replica western weapons to learn how to twirl (like Tombstone or Revolver Ocelot), and it is beyond me how Hollywood film crews could not have a licensed firearm expert there to inspect and clear every weapon before every scene. After these earlier two situations with Lee and Hexum I'm not sure why they even use fully functional firearms anyway, given the accuracy of non-firing replicas which can use caps and the capabilities of modern digital editing. It couldn't cost them more than a few hundred bucks to get a very high-quality non-firing replica.

I think the big difference is that Hexum accidentally killed himself goofing off and Lee was killed actually filming a scene (believe it was the pawn shop scene).

Both tragic, but Lee was killed by negligence from the people who were suppose to be supervising the guns.

I think they bought the gun that killed Lee at a flea market or antique shop and never knew about an old bullet lodged inside it.

Been awhile since I saw the documentary, but it was something along those lines.

It’s messed up because not only did a young Lee die so needlessly, but Massee, who played Fun Boy and fired the gun, was haunted by what he did up until his own death.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Very sad. I'm curious if this happened while they were filming or if he was carrying it and/or just dropped it on set off camera. I learned that blanks were dangerous from the movie In Bruges:

5cyYn_K8bau5i1zvOgIeYJSwpJPLzIcFrnaUZGdWGYmnOhcoZrMg4dL8drNgXwW0KFFBfl9IoRbMREzC3lhZ_AT9AeQ2jnDwCv1DO_fwh0g=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

:laugh: that movie is so hilarious.

“YOU’RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!” :laugh:

Reactions: OzzyFan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sure, my initial post said Alec or someone else. What we do know is someone royally f***ed up and it cost a poor lady her life.

I think we need more details before speculating any further. Otherwise we’re just guessing about what happened and jumping to conclusions.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think we need more details before speculating any further. Otherwise we’re just guessing about what happened and jumping to conclusions.
I don’t. Clearly someone f***ed up, BADLY. And it cost someone their life.

Who that person is and what they did (or didnt do) remains to be seen.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Woof, a lot of details coming out. Unions were walking off set 6hrs before the shooting saying the set was unsafe. Alec threatened to call the cops to remove them, they left and he brought in unqualified people because he wanted the scenes done and thus hour later Alec kills someone with an unsafe gun. If this is all true Alec needs a few months behind bars to think about his selfishness. Guy has always been a hot headed idiot and it cost someone their life.

Elvis P

We know Major Tom's a junkie
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Asst. Director Unknowingly Handed Alec Baldwin a Gun with Live Ammunition

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
What a mess. I own firearms and the 1st two rules are always assume it's loaded and practice safe muzzle control. Obviously, the muzzle control during filming can't always be practiced since the actors will be pointing it at each other but they should teach the actors to check the weapons themselves after being handed a gun, even if told by an "expert" it was safe/unloaded.

Just multiple mistakes that ended in a completely avoidable tragedy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Woof, a lot of details coming out. Unions were walking off set 6hrs before the shooting saying the set was unsafe. Alec threatened to call the cops to remove them, they left and he brought in unqualified people because he wanted the scenes done and thus hour later Alec kills someone with an unsafe gun. If this is all true Alec needs a few months behind bars to think about his selfishness. Guy has always been a hot headed idiot and it cost someone their life.
Where are you reading that it was Baldwin who threatened to call the police?

All I have read is it was a member of the production staff who threatened to call security once the scabs arrived.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I found this long thread by an expert about movie guns informative.

One of the most interesting and informative threads I've read on Twitter - which is a low bar I know, but well worth a read.

Sounds like it's the classic "Swiss Cheese" accident were a series of things that couldn't or shouldn't happen, all happen at the same time, the holes all line up and....

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It
Where are you reading that it was Baldwin who threatened to call the police?

All I have read is it was a member of the production staff who threatened to call security once the scabs arrived.
i saw it in a Post article yesterday but I can’t seem to find that line anymore so maybe it was revised. Regardless, that is probably the least of Alec’s worries right now.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
Baldwin should have doubled checked the gun when it was handed to him. When you have a gun in your hand you are the one responsible for it.

Reactions: Korg

Canucky

Jun 19, 2021
Th
Baldwin should have doubled checked the gun when it was handed to him. When you have a gun in your hand you are the one responsible for it.
Could happen to a bigger turd. Sad a person died because of Negligence. Don't call this Accidental. Would like to know why there was real ammo on the set in the first place.

Reactions: coupe89

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am not sure I agree with that... you need to have some trust to the process of people checking all the accessories and what happen if he shoot on the floor to 'test' they will have to redo the gun for another shot.. and then what? You shoot again on the floor? rince & repeat?

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Canucky

Jun 19, 2021
I am not sure I agree with that... you need to have some trust to the process of people checking all the accessories and what happen if he shoot on the floor to 'test' they will have to redo the gun for another shot.. and then what? You shoot again on the floor? rince & repeat?
That's all fine if your filming a scene. So Baldwin shot the cinamatographer and assistant director because why? Sounds like rehearsal to me. Bet chit stain Alex wasn't tested for drugs/alcohol. Sorry hope this douche gets fried.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
You do not test a gun to see if it loaded by shooting it, you open it up and check it. Take the bullets out to see what is in it. That has got to be one of the most moronic post I have ever read, really shoot a gun at the floor to see if it loaded. How could you even think that would make sense to do?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Without a doubt, there is civil liability in this case. That's pretty clear. There is also possibly criminal liability (not on Baldwin's part, obviously).

Reactions: Elvis P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad