Player Discussion Alain Vigneault (MOD: Re-read rules 13-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Where did I say I didn't like them winning? :dunno:
I find it a little odd that fans of an organization that has 1 Cup in 75 years and many years of no success at all, can critique the style with which a team is finding success. To each their own I guess. For me, winning is winning. After being a fan of this team for so many years, one undeniable fact is that you are not granted extra points for loosing in a pretty way or given less points for winning in a not so pretty way.

Play defensive hockey, offensive hockey, whatever you want. Just play with heart and passion. And that has been instilled in this organization. And that started with Renney and continued with Torts. Torts was instrumental in changing the culture of this team. So to denigrate the success that he had is a little odd.

Wolfy*

What an amazing coach he is, a huge upgrade compared to Tortorella. I don't understand how Vancouver could fire Vigneault.

And lets not forget Sather, he's a damn good manager.

And the Cup is only 10 weeks away ;)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is 90% Gorton's doing

We need to win the cup ASAP so Slats can ride into the sunset and we can promote Jeff before he gets poached away by the Leafs or something

Gorton is 100% Sather's doing. 100% of 90% combined with the 10% that is himself, and you get 100%.

This is 100% Sather's doing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I heard a similar sentiment on m-vs-w this past week. It's about time AV started getting some recognition. He is an amazing team-builder. This group is so tight.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I am still not sold on AV until he wins a cup. That's why he was let in Van. I must say though that it's more pleasurable to watch this team than the 6 goalie system.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I am still not sold on AV until he wins a cup. That's why he was let in Van. I must say though that it's more pleasurable to watch this team than the 6 goalie system.

So let's just discredit the fact he has taken two different teams to the finals in the last 4 years.

You know how hard it is to win a cup? The guy has put his teams in position to have the opportunity to win one. Multiple times. His teams have had some pretty unfortunate bounces and crappy luck in the finals. The losses weren't due to coaching.

The guy is a fantastic coach. One of the best in the league.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
So let's just discredit the fact he has taken two different teams to the finals in the last 4 years.

You know how hard it is to win a cup? The guy has put his teams in position to have the opportunity to win one. Multiple times. His teams have had some pretty unfortunate bounces and luck in the finals. He didn't lose because of his coaching.

He is a good coach, but he needs to win a cup. Peace.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

You know how hard it is to win a cup? The guy has put his teams in position to have the opportunity to win one. Multiple times. His teams have had some pretty unfortunate bounces and crappy luck in the finals. The losses weren't due to coaching.

Two Stanley a Cup Finals, 2 and maybe now 3 President's Trophy awards, consistent pattern of success. The current Rangers team is NHLs best in part because AV is a great coach. We wouldn't be #1 in the NHL under Cappy, Torts, Renney, and certainly not under the clowns running the ship during the Dark Ages.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I know the Rangers are a really good team, but I am at a loss for words that the NHL media isn't saying that AV is a slam dunk for the Jack Adams based on the Ranger's über performance when the franchise anchor missed a month of play. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

sjosty26

May 8, 2013
I feel like we might score a couple more goals every once in a while if our fourth line isn't only limited to offensive zone faceoffs.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He's been great this year but history dictates the type of coach that wins this award. That type of coach isn't typically one that went to the prior Stanley Cup Finals.

This award can be named, "the coach that turns around a teams record the most in a season" award. In that respect I don't think AV has a shot at it. It shouldn't surprise anyone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Alain Vigneault now has 3 seasons in the last 5 years where his team won 50+ games. Ohw, and he also got to 49 wins twice. Vigneault's record since the lockout:

700 games
408 wins
222 losses
70 OT losses
886 points

That is an average of 47.66 wins per season (82 games)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Alain Vigneault now has 3 seasons in the last 5 years where his team won 50+ games. Ohw, and he also got to 49 wins twice. Vigneault's record since the lockout:

700 games
408 wins
222 losses
70 OT losses
886 points

That is an average of 47.66 wins per season (82 games)

That's pretty darn impressive.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
AV should win the Jack Adams, especially if we win the PT

I agree, but I don't understand the use of Glass this season, but
I guess u need an enforcer who can hit hard and play physical.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
AV isn't a perfect coach, but he is by far, the best coach we've had since 1994. Coming off the last one, it's nice to have a real head coach again.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What an amazing coach he is, a huge upgrade compared to Tortorella. I don't understand how Vancouver could fire Vigneault.

And lets not forget Sather, he's a damn good manager.

And the Cup is only 10 weeks away ;)

The Canucks didn't fire AV for being a bad coach. I'm a Canucks fan and my guess is that 95-99% of Canucks fans rate AV very highly. However, we were trending downwards badly (totally dominated in the play-offs in AVs last two years) and I can understand why the management tried something else more or less for the sake of just doing something. A veteran team infected with NTCs.... there wasn't really much choice.

We actually looked much better early on with Tortorella. But for whatever reason he ran our best players in the ground. Then he blamed lack of depth for not using a 4th line properly. Managing to tire out our best players and alienate our 4th in the process. I haven't seen any evidence of our current coach being any better than Tortorella at anything else than managing ice time among our top players better and giving confidence to the depth players (as well as Edler). If Tortorella had had that part of Desjardins personality I think Tortorella would have been very successful in Vancouver.

Don't think that is true. Had we won against Boston I still think AV would have been fired two years later.

Too much randomness goes into who wins a cup or not. Not blaming anything, but who knows what would have happened if Hamhuis and Kesler hadn't been injured during the series against Boston? Really hasn't anything to do with AVs abilities as a coach.

You would rather have had Randy Carlyle than AV? The same way Carlyle was lucky to win I think AV has been unlucky considering how good of a coach he is.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
These last two seasons have been so much fun to watch. Whenever has a Ranger fan said that? I'm 50 and have never said that, until now. I know we havent won a cup, but they do our fandom justice by their on ice play, effort and results. Uncharted waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad