Player Discussion Alain Vigneault (MOD: Re-read rules 13-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's already won a Jack Adams. I don't care if he gets another or not, as long as this team keeps winning.

Bobby Francis won a Jack Adams and then fell off the map. Guy did a lot with very poor teams but fell to some personal demons.

Every other Adams winner outside of Pats Burns and Quinn have pretty much won once and had long careers of success or playoff hockey appearances. Its more of thanks for being around award than anything else (except last year).

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Easier to be a great coach from games 1-60? then from games 20-82 and with your back up goalie in for 20 of the last 30 during that stretch . Rangers have...integrated 8 new guys successfully and have been a good home and road team and have a great record versus the West . AV is very deserving of the award .

The big saying always was...."show me a great coach and I will show you a great goalie" ! ! Well...we have hardly lost any games with our back up goalie playing night after night at a difficult time of the season....so coaching has to be playing a big part in the team's great season so far . :)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Was able to implement a system that was based on skill and skating. With what we were used to prior to him joining the Org. I didn't think it was possible.

I personally don't care about trophy's other than the Stanley Cup, so if he doesn't win or isn't even mentioned in the top 10 for the Jack Adams award but the Rangers win the Cup, I will be 1000% OK with that

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Was able to implement a system that was based on skill and skating. With what we were used to prior to him joining the Org. I didn't think it was possible.

You could see glimpses of it though - dudes like Hagelin, Kreider, Gaborik were completely suffocated by Torts. It was so brutal to watch, they were never allowed to really get going. And the D coming in on offense?? Are you out of your f***ing mind, 6 goalie system at all times

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
okay. Tanner Glass still sucks.

I'm as skeptical as anyone else--perhaps more so than most since I've been a fan since the early/mid 1960s--but the way the team has played with AV as the coach is pretty damned excellent. Nitpick all you want, but at least acknowledge the truth too: this team is playing as well as any time since 1993-4.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
He has been stellar. The games are fun to watch and they win. I was always proud to be a Ranger fan but now the team makes me extremely proud on the ice and off. The playoff run last year was awesome and this regular season has been like none other with all the controversy thrown in their way, they still manage to win

I will occasionally quibble with something AV does, because that's frankly the nature of the beast. But in the larger picture of things he already in two seasons has already made a case toward being one of the best Ranger coaches ever.

Just think what a dumpster fire this could have been if Sather had given Me$$ier the job.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
You could see glimpses of it though - dudes like Hagelin, Kreider, Gaborik were completely suffocated by Torts. It was so brutal to watch, they were never allowed to really get going. And the D coming in on offense?? Are you out of your f***ing mind, 6 goalie system at all times

Gabby sure struggled during those 40 goal seasons. Hagelin's best season was '11-'12. We were 11th in scoring that year, too. And boy, it sure sucked almost winning the President's Trophy and making a deep playoff run.

I know these boards aren't exactly a hub of nuanced dialogue, but the "Torts was the worst coach ever" meme is just as ridiculous as the "AV is a gum chewing sissy" brigade from early last season.

We've been fortunate to go from a very good coach in Torts to one of the best in the league right now in AV. And let's not forget that Torts was a major factor in the development of several of this team's core players. I guess I just don't see the need to make a thread about AV a place to bash Torts.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I guess I just don't see the need to make a thread about AV a place to bash Torts.

Actually, every thread should be a place to bash Torts. In fact it should be required to post anything about the Rangers. The Canucks will have more points this season with a dozen games to go than Torts pulled out of them all of last year with them when they missed the playoffs. The guy may have had his strengths in the past but in recent years he's morphed into a stubborn bully who's style doesn't fit in the modern day NHL anymore.

AV is a great coach, but he looks like a complete genius next to Torts

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Gabby sure struggled during those 40 goal seasons. Hagelin's best season was '11-'12. We were 11th in scoring that year, too. And boy, it sure sucked almost winning the President's Trophy and making a deep playoff run.

I know these boards aren't exactly a hub of nuanced dialogue, but the "Torts was the worst coach ever" meme is just as ridiculous as the "AV is a gum chewing sissy" brigade from early last season.

We've been fortunate to go from a very good coach in Torts to one of the best in the league right now in AV. And let's not forget that Torts was a major factor in the development of several of this team's core players. I guess I just don't see the need to make a thread about AV a place to bash Torts.

Well said.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well said.
Double on that.

AV has shown that he is an excellent coach. Now he needs to show that he can adapt and improvise. Special teams are all coaching. Overcoming teams that take away the middle of the ice is strategy. He has show that he is capable of bringing teams to the brink of utter victory. Now the task is to step across.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
AV is a great coach. Too bad not everything is in his hands in order to bring the cup.

However those post games interviews is a breather compare to our previous coach. What an embarrassment that was.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
You would think some GM would hire Torts if he's that good of a coach.

The 2012 Rangers were a very likeable group, and it was really our breakout year. However, that doesn't change the fact that they were playing caveman hockey. Most fans found them boring for a reason, and it's not just because New York is in the name.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Assinie comment. Why does this group insist on skewering Torts? He did pretty well here, did he not? He DOES have a Cup on his resume, does he not? There are some very integral players here who continue to give him his props, are there not? He got out as much as he could from the group that he had.
The 2012 Rangers were a very likeable group, and it was really our breakout year. However, that doesn't change the fact that they were playing caveman hockey.
Who cares? There are no style points. Winning is winning.
Most fans found them boring for a reason, and it's not just because New York is in the name.
Most fans here at this point also skew to an age in which the dark years were largely forgotten. The pretty Rangers that were trotted out during those years were owned by the boring Devils. Those Devils and their boring style won multiple Cups. Were that the Rangers were that boring and bring back multiple Cups. I will take boring and successful over exciting and loosing any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

The 2012 Rangers were a very likeable group, and it was really our breakout year. However, that doesn't change the fact that they were playing caveman hockey. Most fans found them boring for a reason, and it's not just because New York is in the name.

They were literally unwatchable for me. All the games I had to listen to the radio because I was tempted to kick my TV set in with Torts' game plan. So frustrating. I love the way AV has them playing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They were literally unwatchable for me. All the games I had to listen to the radio because I was tempted to kick my TV set in with Torts' game plan. So frustrating. I love the way AV has them playing.
How hard it must have been to view a successful team. What a travesty.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
How hard it must have been to view a successful team. What a travesty.
Successful or not, there were boring. It's kind of hypocritical to flame the Devils for that kind of hockey and like your team for doing it? It was awful hockey; seeing talented players being dragged down into not using their natural skill was somewhat sad, to me, anyway. IMHO.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Haha 11-12 and Torts, so glad those days are over. AV is not perfect, but he's not Torts the clown.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Successful or not, there were boring. It's kind of hypocritical to flame the Devils for that kind of hockey and like your team for doing it? It was awful hockey; seeing talented players being dragged down into not using their natural skill was somewhat sad, to me, anyway. IMHO.

Yeah, he really neutered Ruslan Fedotenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad