Player Discussion Alain Vigneault (MOD: Re-read rules 13-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I think since we have had a good size roster turnover in the last twelve months , that it is high time that AV gets the praise he deserves . This club has added eight new players from forwards to goalies and has not missed a beat . He should at least be nominated for the JA/Coach of the Year Award . He should also win it IMO . Adding eight new guys is a feat in any team sport . I know Hunwick is only part time..but I did not count Miller either...he would be # 9 if I was to do so . Boyle-Glass-Yandle-Skapski-Fast-Hayes-Hunwick-Shepphard....and Miller if you want to count him .

Darn good coaching....:nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He deserves a ton of praise.

But he'll just keep getting crap for playing Glass or how he deploys Girardi - despite having few personnel options when it comes to those roles. Overall, I've been very impressed with him.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

But he'll just keep getting crap for playing Glass or how he deploys Girardi - despite having few personnel options when it comes to those roles. Overall, I've been very impressed with him.

Absolutely. Torts had them in a shell, this guy brought more to the table and it shows. Of course, did help that some of the kids are hitting their stride all at the right time. Timing, so often overlooked because there's no stat line which to judge by ;)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Definitely deserves serious consideration for the Jack Adams

No he doesn't. For what? Look at his personnel.

You don't win the Jack Adams for having the best record, or coaching the best team. Doing so would certainly help, but when you have guys like Laviolette and Trotz doing what they are doing, he's barely an afterthought. Hell even that vagrant looking troll from the Island Capuano deserves consideration over AV.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

You don't win the Jack Adams for having the best record, or coaching the best team. Doing so would certainly help, but when you have guys like Laviolette and Trotz doing what they are doing, he's barely an afterthought. Hell even that vagrant looking troll from the Island Capuano deserves consideration over AV.

Jack Capuano looks like he collects newspapers.

AV should definitely be top 3 for Adams, but it would be a surprise to see him there for obvious reasons

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think that AV is deserving of the Jack Adams... however, i'm sure it is quite difficult to juggle so many star personalities and to have to live up to the expectation of "cup or bust" and still be able to field such a successful team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Getting the most out of your team =/= Winning Cups

Lavi deserves it more than anyone. The way he has transformed the Predators going from meh to top contenders is simply amazing.

BarbaraAlphanse

Getting the most out of your team =/= Winning Cups

Lavi deserves it more than anyone. The way he has transformed the Predators going from meh to top contenders is simply amazing.

That seems to be his MO wherever he goes. Somehow his shelf life is alarmingly short wherever he goes, too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I'm not sure that Trotz or Capuano are really working with much worse personnel. Laviolette, sure, but the Caps and the Isles are pretty deep teams. NYR aren't really a powerhouse on paper compared to either IMO.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not sure that Trotz or Capuano are really working with much worse personnel. Laviolette, sure, but the Caps and the Isles are pretty deep teams. NYR aren't really a powerhouse on paper compared to either IMO.

Nashville doesn't really have any elite players outside Rinne and Weber. Rangers are where they should be considering the team they have. St. Louis, Nash, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Lundqvist, Stepan... Looking at the names on paper, we are where we should be. Nashville, not so much.

If Laviolette doesn't win it, I don't know who will.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Nashville doesn't really have any elite players outside Rinne and Weber. Rangers are where they should be considering the team they have. St. Louis, Nash, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Lundqvist, Stepan... Looking at the names on paper, we are where we should be. Nashville, not so much.

They may not have the names, but that back end is outstanding. Underrated, and I'd say 2nd best to the Rangers. They are basically the Rangers in terms of goaltending and defense but don't have the gamebreakers up front.

Wheels are starting to come off a bit, haven't watched them recently so I don't know why, but they are a top line center and another top scorer away from really doing some damage.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009

The G stuff isn't real. No one that actually works in a paid capacity with the game has ever suggested he was anything other than a top pairing Dman.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

Another HF perspective: St. Louis is washed up, Girardi a bottom pairing defenseman according to Corsi, Lundqvist injured and Stepan/Brassard are 2nd line centers at best.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, is AV a great coach because he wins games despite Girardi and MSL playing great, or is he responsible for them underperforming?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He is, but he doesn't deserve the Jack Adams award this season. He deserved it in 2011... Lavi is the undisputed coach of the year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
AV is a beast of a coach. If before hevretires, he wins a couple of Cups, which is likely, AV will be talked about as one of the greatest ever. So lucky to have gotten him.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
So, is AV a great coach because he wins games despite Girardi and MSL playing great, or is he responsible for them underperforming?

I think he is an excellent coach and I don't think G is underperforming that much (MSL is, but he is old). I just wanted to show that "on paper" is pretty subjective. I don't think we have the clear cut best roster "on paper", so AV is doing very well.

Except the Leafs GM probably would. So much for that fantasy.

Well, that settles it then.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
The G stuff isn't real. No one that actually works in a paid capacity with the game has ever suggested he was anything other than a top pairing Dman.

Except the Leafs GM probably would. So much for that fantasy.

Well, that settles it then.

It certainly settles the issue of "no one who works in a paid capacity" would say Girardi isn't a first pair defensemen. :laugh:

Dude, you yourself only were able to say "probably". That "certainly settles" that I was right.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Personally think he has a very slim chance of winning the Adams.

It's Laviolette's or Capuano's to lose

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's one of the smartest hockey minds out there. A master of match-ups... very different from Tortorella in the hey I'm just going to throw the next unit over the boards... he puts his players in positions to succeed.

I think he's done a better job this year than last, he's figured out player's roles a month earlier this year.

I fully believe that a healthy current roster gives him every element he needs to succeed, and he's doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad