Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I get all 800 million reasons why MLSE took this offer, my only problem is that I hate we now share arena sponsorship with Calgary.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel MLSE and the Leafs are an important enough franchise that their stadium sponsor should be exclusive.
Wonder if there's a clause to end the deal with Calgary.
I also realize that rogers lends its name to the rinks in Vancouver and Edmonton along with the dome, also American Airlines sponsors the arenas in Dallas and Miami.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would have made more sense from a naming point of view if TD Bank did this, call the arena the Toronto Dominion Gardens.

Not to be confused witht the Toronto Dominion Garden located in Boston..

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I get all 800 million reasons why MLSE took this offer, my only problem is that I hate we now share arena sponsorship with Calgary.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel MLSE and the Leafs are an important enough franchise that their stadium sponsor should be exclusive.
Wonder if there's a clause to end the deal with Calgary
I also realize that rogers lends its name to the rinks in Vancouver and Edmonton along with the dome, also American Airlines sponsors the arenas in Dallas and Miami.

Look, I love the Leafs as much as he next fan on here, but to say we're more important than another team, and the other team should drop their sponsorship just so we can take it and be unique is going a little far...

It would have made more sense from a naming point of view if TD Bank did this, call the arena the Toronto Dominion Gardens.

Not to be confused witht the Toronto Dominion Garden located in Boston..

Boston should keep TD Garden, and Toronto should adopt BP Plaza - Boston Pizza Plaza :laugh:

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
So with an extra $36M/year going into MLSE's pockets does it translate to anything for the fans at all. Lower tickets prices, more/better services or anything like that. Im sure MLSE is making some investments with this kinda cash.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Kind of sad since you could disguise the corporate shillery of the "Air Canada Centre" behind the ACC

I think they should've called it the Scotiabank Garden's as some have said still corporate but harking back to the past arena somewhat

I do find it sad in modern day sorts that everything has a corporate name though

Can't see them ever changing the name of "old Trafford" or "anfield" in soccer unless they build a new stadium like has happened lately

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Kind of sad since you could disguise the corporate shillery of the "Air Canada Centre" behind the ACC

I think they should've called it the Scotiabank Garden's as some have said still corporate but harking back to the past arena somewhat

I do find it sad in modern day sorts that everything has a corporate name though

Can't see them ever changing the name of "old Trafford" or "anfield" in soccer unless they build a new stadium like has happened lately

Totally agree, dont really care about who has bought the rights or how much; i dont think id find it hard to turn down the 4M AC were paying but 800M.. jeez. still, i love that football still maintains some history and identity with their stadium names, there's a new sponsor every year at Leeds but it will always be Elland road, and i think that means a lot to the fans; its their home and their team and part of the history.
Id love to see that again, ive never known why there couldnt be a common ground- "The Scotiabank Maple Leaf gardens" or something like that

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Totally agree, dont really care about who has bought the rights or how much; i dont think id find it hard to turn down the 4M AC were paying but 800M.. jeez. still, i love that football still maintains some history and identity with their stadium names, there's a new sponsor every year at Leeds but it will always be Elland road, and i think that means a lot to the fans; its their home and their team and part of the history.
Id love to see that again, ive never known why there couldnt be a common ground- "The Scotiabank Maple Leaf gardens" or something like that

probably because there are two other teams who play there who aren't "Maple Leafs".

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I still don't know why so many care so much for an arena name. The money gained in this transaction is way too good to pass up. You can legit buy an NHL team with the money that MLSE will get from this.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
One corporate sponsor to another. There is no short form like ACC but who cares honestly

I heard on the radio this morning that this is possibly the richest sponsorship deal in NA? Even Chase Bank only pays $30M a year to MSG in New York

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I still don't know why so many care so much for an arena name. The money gained in this transaction is way too good to pass up. You can legit buy an NHL team with the money that MLSE will get from this.

around $300M more and scotia could have bought the leafs! according to the last value I saw (forbes?) $1.1B was the leafs value

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Will there be a Scotiabank ATM in the ACC?

There always has been. Scotia Bank has been all over the arena for a while, they even provide those cheap white towels for waving.

So with an extra $36M/year going into MLSE's pockets does it translate to anything for the fans at all. Lower tickets prices, more/better services or anything like that. Im sure MLSE is making some investments with this kinda cash.

They should, the building is do for some upgrades.

What, if your friend Jimmy comes to realization that he should have been born a woman and transitions to Becky and wants you to use female pronouns. Do you make the effort or do you just continue to use Jimmy, he, him, and so on?

If Jimmy received 800 million for this transition I'd be introducing my kids to their new mom Becky.

Macman

May 15, 2004
What kind of a screwed-up world do we live in where this kind of stupidity is acceptable? There are so many other things Scotiabank could have done with this much money to create genuine good will for their "brand." Anybody who has visited Toronto knows it has a serious homeless problem. Can you imagine the kind of good Scotiabank could do if it spent $40 mil a year for 20 years on housing for the homeless instead of just another cynically named hockey rink. If you feel the need to slap your name on anything, Scotiabank, try that. It might actually make people feel good about a bank for a change!

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
What kind of a screwed-up world do we live in where this kind of stupidity is acceptable? There are so many other things Scotiabank could have done with this much money to create genuine good will for their "brand." Anybody who has visited Toronto knows it has a serious homeless problem. Can you imagine the kind of good Scotiabank could do if it spent $40 mil a year for 20 years on housing for the homeless instead of just another cynically named hockey rink. If you feel the need to slap your name on anything, Scotiabank, try that. It might actually make people feel good about a bank for a change!

If I were a Scotiabank customer, I would be livid that my banking fees and invested monies were being used to sponsor an arena name. $800 million? Geese, I would be taking my banking elsewhere.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I
Don't
Care

It's just an arena name. I don't cheer for the arena. As long as the name isn't a complete embarrassment, they can call it whatever they want.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
One corporate sponsor to another. There is no short form like ACC but who cares honestly

I heard on the radio this morning that this is possibly the richest sponsorship deal in NA? Even Chase Bank only pays $30M a year to MSG in New York

Just call it the"Vault". It fits.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like the fact that MLSE gets half the NHL salary cap right off the bat.

That has to give the Leafs and Raptors a competitive advantage.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd prefer Scotiabank Gardens

Scotiabank Arena sounds like a junior B rink

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes does Air Canada have to do with hockey?

It's just a money thing, and Air Canada Center wasn't a good name anyway.

Air Canada Center is obviously corporate.

ACC was something people took on to avoid that. It was easy, rolled off the tongue. Not too mention anyone 23-25 or younger only really have memories of the Leafs in the ACC, and that adds another layer.

Overall, I think most are just bothered by the new name's awkwardness than actually losing the Air Canada Center.

For me, the worst part of this is potentially losing the red Maple Leaf that sits underneath the jumbotron. It's iconic at this point. Hopefully they will keep it, or maybe change it to a blue Maple Leaf, as I assume it has ties to Air Canada

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Could someone provide some insight on why organizations want their names plastered on arenas in the first place?

Advertising of course and a lot of that can be written-off, after all, it is a business for both the Leafs and the Advertiser..... Money, Money.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Baseketball predicted it.

maxiafter.jpg

Next up: crossover sports.

That's got to be the worst name for a sports venue ever...LOL

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Someone asked me the other day if they were going in the right direction to the budweiser stage and I was like WTF is that? Until I realised they were going to the amphitheater.

Same thing is going to be happening with the ACC now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad