Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, give it four years and folks won't be calling it the ACC anymore.

I used to think "I'll always call t the skydome" but even I call it the rodgers centre now
There was a clip on YouTube about the flood in Toronto. The poster called the Rogers center sky dome. His clip got over 250 thousand hits. At least 90% of the comments were people arguing it's Rogers center not Skydome. 10% was about the flood. :laugh:

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
The richest team in the league just got richer!!!...This is good news folks.

Additional money will be available for anything not related to the cap. Hiring a couple more European scouts, for example, can be a good thing. Most teams cannot keep up with the Leafs in that regard. Who cares what the arena is called?

Will advertising on jerseys be next? :cry:

Last edited:

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
The average Joe over the age of 40 will never call it anything other than the ACC lol

Speed Metal

May 2, 2016
Just a money thing as has been mentioned. I personally don't really care what they name the building since the move to the ACC. But I agree that Scotiabank Gardens would be better. Rolls of the tongue a little nicer IMHO. To be able to say "I'm going to the Gardens to watch the Leafs" just has this nice familiar ring to it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Just a money thing as has been mentioned. I personally don't really care what they name the building since the move to the ACC. But I agree that Scotiabank Gardens would be better. Rolls of the tongue a little nicer IMHO. To be able to say "I'm going to the Gardens to watch the Leafs" just has this nice familiar ring to it.
Probably why they didn't use gardens. Imagine paying 800 million for a name and nobody uses it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Probably why they didn't use gardens. Imagine paying 800 million for a name and nobody uses it.

They only care that every nationally televised sporting event will show their logo on the outside of the building and the commentators will repeatedly say, "Scotiabank Arena" over and over on the air.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
21125500_641993779337339_2518900187312090377_o.jpg

dunno if this has been posted or not

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
MLSE owes a big chunk of that change to Austin Matthews. No way they could command $40m a year on a deal without the chance that a cup or 2 or 5 :) is raised is the "Scotiabank Arena"

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Always hated the name ACC, much better if it were the CC. Now its The Bank and I am not really liking that either.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Always hated the name ACC, much better if it were the CC. Now its The Bank and I am not really liking that either.

In the end, it's swapping one corporation's name for another. Ignoring the fact ACC rolls of the tongue easily, I have wondered to myself, "Really...the pinnacle sporting franchise in the country...and Air Canada is the name on its building?"

I'd be more pissed if this was let's say Maple Leaf Gardens becoming Scotiabank Arena. In the same way when SkyDome became Rogers Centre, which I never have nor ever will call it the latter.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
That's what I'm thinking too, not that the name change will dissuade me from calling it the ACC

Ya, I'll probably call it the ACC just from habit for a while. But saying SBA, or whatever people end up shortening it to, will feel normal soon enough. It's just one corporate name in, and one out.

Sure beats "Jobbing.com Arena." Or how about the "F U Center" they had in Philly for a while? And they changed the name like every year, Wells Fargo, First Union, Wachovia Whatever. Or how about Detroit's Little Ceasars Arena? That's cringe worthy.

They can call it the "Moland Springs Corporate-Merger Synergy Diversity Paradigm Dynamism Sponsorship-Dollars Arena", for all I care.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Ya, I'll probably call it the ACC just from habit for a while. But saying SBA, or whatever people end up shortening it to, will feel normal soon enough. It's just one corporate name in, and one out.

Sure beats "Jobbing.com Arena." Or how about the "F U Center" they had in Philly for a while? And they changed the name like every year, Wells Fargo, First Union, Wachovia Whatever. Or how about Detroit's Little Ceasars Arena? That's cringe worthy.

They can call it the "Moland Springs Corporate-Merger Synergy Diversity Paradigm Dynamism Sponsorship-Dollars Arena", for all I care.

"Come on down to the MSCMSDPDSDA!"

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The richest team in the league just got richer!!!...This is good news folks.

Additional money will be available for anything not related to the cap. Hiring a couple more European scouts, for example, can be a good thing. Most teams cannot keep up with the Leafs in that regard. Who cares what the arena is called?

Will advertising on jerseys be next? :cry:

It's coming.

Speed Metal

May 2, 2016

I don't follow? For almost 70 years the Leafs played in Maple Leaf Gardens. A name that is famous in the NHL world. Old(ish) coots like me remember the name well.

But anyways, like I said before they can call the building whatever they want. I care not. As long as the team is competitive. I just personally prefer Scotiabank Gardens as a name because of that connection to the past. Especially considering the potential creation of new legends and lore, that connection to the past would be especially sweet! For this old(ish) fogey anyways. :)

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I think that they changed the name of the Skydome awhile back...can't remember what they called it;).

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Does something like this help increase the cap in the future? Or do the leafs benefit from this in any way?

I can't imagine it helps increase the cap as its not necessarily only the leafs that benefit from it, MLSE as a whole do and how they choose to spend/distribute that money is unknown. Furthermore, I can't see how the NHL could suggest the money made through this needs to be part of the shared revenue the NHL makes and hence there should be no impact on the cap but maybe I'm missing something?
All that said, certainly COULD benefit the Leafs and in general any of the MLSE owned sports franchises (TFC, Raps, Leafs etc.)

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I don't follow? For almost 70 years the Leafs played in Maple Leaf Gardens. A name that is famous in the NHL world. Old(ish) coots like me remember the name well.

But anyways, like I said before they can call the building whatever they want. I care not. As long as the team is competitive. I just personally prefer Scotiabank Gardens as a name because of that connection to the past. Especially considering the potential creation of new legends and lore, that connection to the past would be especially sweet! For this old(ish) fogey anyways. :)

If Scotiabank changes the name to "Scotiabank Arena" then people have no choice but to say the word Scotiabank. I am doing it now, we all are. There's no easy shortform, so the brand name gets spoken and written in print like crazy. That's why they paid the money for naming rights. It's all just advertising.

But if Scotiabank were to be nice to Leafs fans, and name the arena "Scotiabank Gardens" because that's a name that is familiar and popular, then fans have the option of just calling it "the Gardens" for short. Then no one says "Scotiabank" at all. And even in print people would use "Gardens" and then Scotiabank loses out on the promotion.

All Scotiabank wants is for more people to say "Scotiabank" and read "Scotiabank" and think, even for a second, about Scotiabank. And a name like "Scotiabank Arena" is just perfect for Scotiabank, because it gives you no options. There is no bad press.

Vote Quimby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad