Confirmed with Link: Air Canada Center to change name to Scotiabank Arena

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Does something like this help increase the cap in the future? Or do the leafs benefit from this in any way?

It's not "hockey related revenue". So no, it will have no effect on the salary cap whatsoever.

It's no different from the hot-dog vendor inside the arena changing from an Oscar Mayer to a Nathan's Famous, and paying double the fees for the booth. Not related specifically to the team/NHL/sport of hockey.

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Anyone know where the "gardens" name for a hockey arena comes from? It's not a garden, it's an ice rink.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Anyone know where the "gardens" name for a hockey arena comes from? It's not a garden, it's an ice rink.

There could be many reasons I'm not aware of but here is one:
"The term "garden" in British English refers to an enclosed area of land, usually adjoining a building. Just another term for arena."

It could also be a throw back to ancient times.
A garden in the center (the rink), and spectators could view it from around the outside.

Speed Metal

May 2, 2016
If Scotiabank changes the name to "Scotiabank Arena" then people have no choice but to say the word Scotiabank. I am doing it now, we all are. There's no easy shortform, so the brand name gets spoken and written in print like crazy. That's why they paid the money for naming rights. It's all just advertising.

But if Scotiabank were to be nice to Leafs fans, and name the arena "Scotiabank Gardens" because that's a name that is familiar and popular, then fans have the option of just calling it "the Gardens" for short. Then no one says "Scotiabank" at all. And even in print people would use "Gardens" and then Scotiabank loses out on the promotion.

All Scotiabank wants is for more people to say "Scotiabank" and read "Scotiabank" and think, even for a second, about Scotiabank. And a name like "Scotiabank Arena" is just perfect for Scotiabank, because it gives you no options. There is no bad press.

Vote Quimby.

This makes total sense. Thank you. :thumbu:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not "hockey related revenue". So no, it will have no effect on the salary cap whatsoever.

It's no different from the hot-dog vendor inside the arena changing from an Oscar Mayer to a Nathan's Famous, and paying double the fees for the booth. Not related specifically to the team/NHL/sport of hockey.

Something like 37% of Arena Naming Rights for arenas that are shared is considered HRR. It increases to around 45-50% for an arena just hosting an NHL team.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
If Scotiabank changes the name to "Scotiabank Arena" then people have no choice but to say the word Scotiabank. I am doing it now, we all are. There's no easy shortform, so the brand name gets spoken and written in print like crazy. That's why they paid the money for naming rights. It's all just advertising.

But if Scotiabank were to be nice to Leafs fans, and name the arena "Scotiabank Gardens" because that's a name that is familiar and popular, then fans have the option of just calling it "the Gardens" for short. Then no one says "Scotiabank" at all. And even in print people would use "Gardens" and then Scotiabank loses out on the promotion.

All Scotiabank wants is for more people to say "Scotiabank" and read "Scotiabank" and think, even for a second, about Scotiabank. And a name like "Scotiabank Arena" is just perfect for Scotiabank, because it gives you no options. There is no bad press.

Vote Quimby.

I'm kinda glad they didn't go with "Scotiabank Gardens." Seems crass to evoke the name of the classic old building with the corporate moniker shoehorned in there.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That's going to take some getting used to. It's been ACC since opening in 1999.

I still call the Rogers Centre, Sky Dome, I bet it takes at least 5 years to get used to and even then many will still call it the ACC out of force of habit.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
i dont care what the ****ing arena is called. the leafs just put more money in their pockets to pay better scouts/coaches/doctors

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Something like 37% of Arena Naming Rights for arenas that are shared is considered HRR. It increases to around 45-50% for an arena just hosting an NHL team.

This can't be true. A team might not own the arena so it doesn't even get the revenue from the naming rights.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Vote Quimby.

Its a shame that we live in a world where a company purposely picks the ugliest name available.

...and as it happens, whenever I think about Scotiabank its not happy thoughts. I could go without a reminder there several times a day while following sports.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This can't be true. A team might not own the arena so it doesn't even get the revenue from the naming rights.

CBA Article 50.1

(Q) Fixed Signage and Arena Sponsorships.

(1) As to fixed signage inside or outside of an "Unaffiliated
Arena" and as to all Unaffiliated Arena sponsorships, all
revenues received by a Club or a Club Affiliated Entity
from the sale of advertising or fixed signage (i.e., signage
that does not relate only to NHL hockey events) or
sponsorships, without netting of any costs.

(2) As to fixed signage inside or outside of a Club's "Affiliated
Arena" and as to all Affiliated Arena sponsorships, sixtyfive
(65) percent of the revenues received by such Club or
Club Affiliated Entity derived from the sale of advertising
or fixed signage or arena sponsorships of that Club's arena
for a "Single-Team Arena" (i.e., an arena in which an NHL
team plays its home games, and no NBA team plays its
home games), or thirty-two and one-half (32.5) percent of
the revenues received by such Club or Club Affiliated
Entity derived from the sale of advertising or fixed signage
or arena sponsorships in that Club's arena for a "Two-Team
Arena" (i.e., an arena in which an NHL team plays its home
games, and in which arena an NBA team also plays its
home games), with such allocations to be done without
netting of any costs, provided, however, that to the extent
an arena enters into a separate contractual arrangement with
a third party (i.e., a non-Club Affiliated Entity such as the
Los Angeles Clippers) regarding fixed arena signage inside
or outside of such arena, advertising, or arena sponsorships,
then revenues paid pursuant to such third-party contracts
shall be deducted prior to the application of the abovelisted
percentages, provided that the NHLPA shall have the
right to object to any such separate contractual arrangement
with a third party on the basis that the purpose of that
arrangement is for the Club or Club Affiliated Entity to
avoid including revenues derived from such separate
contractual arrangement within HRR. In the case of any
objection, the matter shall be discussed in good faith
between the NHL and the NHLPA and, failing agreement,
the issue shall be submitted to and resolved by the System
Arbitrator.

(3) To the extent an arena sponsorship includes the receipt of
the Club's hockey tickets by the sponsor, the face value of
such tickets shall be deducted from the value of the
sponsorship and included in Gate Receipts pursuant to
Section 50.1(a)(i)(A).

(4) The sponsorship and advertising revenues earned from
fixed arena signage and arena sponsorships include,
without limitation, building naming rights and other similar
rights. Revenues derived from any naming rights
agreements and other arena sponsorships of greater than $1
million dollars shall be recognized on a straight-line basis
over the term of the contract.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

I stand corrected. Thanks for posting the CBA stuff. I don't even know where to find that. I'm really surprised that any of it is considered HRR.

I normally don't say something unless I know it's a fact, so I'll have to be better to fact check in the future.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Anyone with a background in finance have an idea of what the expected ROI could be for such a purchase? The price seems very steep; on top of that, losing the ACC moniker sucks but I still call the something-someting centre the SkyDome.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I thought O'Neill's point yesterday on OverDrive why Air Canada just doesn't ask to have their name stripped from the building from now was a valid one. He obviously pointed out the contractual obligation, but for the next 10 months all everyone is going to talk about is the name change.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I thought O'Neill's point yesterday on OverDrive why Air Canada just doesn't ask to have their name stripped from the building from now was a valid one. He obviously pointed out the contractual obligation, but for the next 10 months all everyone is going to talk about is the name change.

it will still be written on the building so everyone drivng on the gardiner will read "air Canada center".

It the philosophy of L.T Smash: Liminal, sub-liminal and super-liminal
yvan-eht-nioj

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
At least it's not another Rogers Centre.

It's still the SkyDome to me, corporate goons!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad