AI won`t do jack shit

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I can't post the video, because of the dreaded S-bomb, but when I saw the title, I thought of Ash Williams line from "Army of Darkness."

"Jack & (bleep), and Jack left town."

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
did you read the article?

For sure, people have been worried about automation as far back as the 50s and 60s. The actual number of jobs has not dwindled, despite the fear.

Totally empathetic to the person who has no life skills and can only function in a job that will be overtaken by automation. that's tough, but maybe a good kick to do something more impactful. we can't stay stagnant forever.

Sep 19, 2008
For sure, people have been worried about automation as far back as the 50s and 60s. The actual number of jobs has not dwindled, despite the fear.

Totally empathetic to the person who has no life skills and can only function in a job that will be overtaken by automation. that's tough, but maybe a good kick to do something more impactful. we can't stay stagnant forever.

Sep 19, 2008

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
you are aware 2018 was a record year for AI replacing humans right? and it'll only get worse.

but like, we build AI. I'm not worried. The market will shift, but for it to stay the same forever would stagnate progression. Nobody wants that.

so yeah, more people will need to learn to code vs. build things in a factory.

my job is super in jeopardy, because they don't need QA engineers really anymore. The need automation engineers to automate QA. That's what I've been working on for the last few months. I see it happening and have been doing something about it, like others should too.

Sep 19, 2008
more people will need to learn to code vs. build things in a factory.

The success rate for government retraining programs is 0-15%. It doesn't work.

You can't just turn someone like me into a programmer. You've seen this before.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
The success rate for government retraining programs is 0-15%. It doesn't work.

You can't just turn someone like me into a programmer. You've seen this before.

i mean, we can't turn you into anything. you're literally too lazy to even pick up the most basic back-end computational tasks.

i'm speaking more about the motivated and useful population, to be honest.

Sep 19, 2008
i mean, we can't turn you into anything. you're literally too lazy to even pick up the most basic back-end computational tasks.

i'm speaking more about the motivated and useful population, to be honest.

The statistics also say that retraining programs are not successful. 0-15% success rate. It's a waste of government money to fund retraining efforts that don't work out.

This is for "Normal America" that works in retail, manufacturing, and trucking. The three most at-risk jobs that will be taken by AI.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
The statistics also say that retraining programs are not successful. 0-15% success rate. It's a waste of government money to fund retraining efforts that don't work out.

This is for "Normal America" that works in retail, manufacturing, and trucking. The three most at-risk jobs that will be taken by AI.

i gotta be honest, i don't even know wtf you're going on about anymore mate.

Sep 19, 2008
i gotta be honest, i don't even know wtf you're going on about anymore mate.
Why can’t we just retrain people who lose their jobs?

WHY CAN’T WE JUST RETRAIN PEOPLE WHO LOSE THEIR JOBS?
This would be great – unfortunately the data indicates that retraining programs do not work on a large scale. The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) program, a Federal program for displaced manufacturing workers, was found to have only 37% of its program members working in the field of work they were retrained for. Michigan’s No Worker Left Behind program found that one-third of its members remained unemployed after the program, similar to the 40% unemployment rate of their peers who did not enroll. About half of all Michigan workers who left the workforce between 2003 and 2013 went on disability and were not retrained for a new job.
Many of the workers who are most at risk for displacement are middle-aged and past their primes. Many have health problems. Retraining will be difficult and many employers will prefer to hire younger employees with lower job requirements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad