AHL Forward Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Fairly simple three part question:

1) Which one of these AHL forward prospects do you think has the most upside?
2) Who do you think is the safest bet to reach his full potential?
3) Which would you take (assuming no specific needs)?

Thomas Vanek
Zach Parise
Andrei Kostsitsyn
Anthony Stewart
Dustin Brown
Antoine Vermette
Derek Roy
Chris Higgins
Mikko Koivu
Kyle Wellwood
Anyone else (I used HF's prospect criteria)

Last edited:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
MLH said:

Thomas Vanek
Zach Parise
Andrei Kostsitsyn
Anthony Stewart
Dustin Brown
Antoine Vermette
Derek Roy
Chris Higgins

1)-Vanek
2)-Roy (Simply b/c potential i dont think is really that high and he has already shown it in the NHL)
3)Vanek (having a great rookie year in teh A)

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
MLH said:

Thomas Vanek
Zach Parise
Andrei Kostsitsyn
Anthony Stewart
Dustin Brown
Antoine Vermette
Derek Roy
Chris Higgins

Add Mikko Koivu...

I can't say anything about Stewart. I didn't notice him much in the games I saw him in. I think it will be interesting to see how he uses his frame against men now...

1. Vanek
2. not sure... maybe Parise
3. Parise

NewHabsEra*

Most upside: Kostitsyn, Vanek

Sure bet.. not in particular order: Parise, Koivu, Higgins, Vermette, Brown, Roy (top 6 material)

Who I would take... very tough one.. alot of talended prospects with big heart in that list...

As a Habs fan, I have to start with Kostitsyn... This kid has just sick skills and has already adjusted a big deal to the north american style of game.. He also likes the physical part of the game... Still raw but huge upside...

I like Parise alot... Higgins, Brown, Roy, Koivu... Vermette.. I also like Stewart but from that bunch, he is possibly the most risky prospect.. Could become a great power foward, we will see how it goes..

High quality prospects in this list, very little wont have a good NHL carreer.

CH Wizard

1-Kostitsyn,Vanek.
2- Brown , Higgins,Parise.
3- Vanek , NO BRAINER!!!! :madfire: I really wanted him since day one but he went 5th overall , ARGH!! I really think the habs should have moved up to grab him!

Fait chier CALISS!

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Messenger said:
1) Wellwood

2) Brown

3) Wellwood

Is it possible you forgot to add the sarcasm smilie?

It's the only explanation I have :dunno:

Anyways...

1.Vanek or Kostitsyn
2.Brown
3.Vanek

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
1) Most upside: Vanek

2) Safest bet: Vermette (could play any role in the NHL)

3) My pick: Parise (complete player, despite his physical package)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jag68Vlady27 said:
1) Most upside: Vanek

2) Safest bet: Vermette (could play any role in the NHL)

3) My pick: Parise (complete player, despite his physical package)

Hey, I like Parise as much as the next fan, but his "physical package"? :confused:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rabid Ranger said:
Simon Gamache is right there with him. Is he going to be a star as well?
Gamache is a couple years older then the group we are comparing here in this thread.

Mike Cammalleri is right ahead of him, he is only a year older .. How about him ??

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Do you honestly think Wellwood has a higher ceiling than Vanek?

CH Wizard

The Messenger said:
Here is the AHL scoring stats to help you out ..

http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0405/scoringleaders.html

:clap:

Get real,You've also said '' Most upside : Kyle Wellwood''.Sorry but Vanek has the potential to be a star in the NHL (score 50 goals or to be a consistent 30 goals scorer), stats mean nothing here.Stats wise , Vanek is having a better rookie season then Wellwood.I'd rather take guys like Brown and Vanek instead of Wellwood.Brown is just better defensively and he's a sure bet to make the NHL.If Wellwood doesn't improve his skating , he might become a career AHLer.Locke with more icetime , will maybe gonna be top 10/20 in points ,as soon as next year, I guess he's gonna become better then Vanek , Parise , Brown and etc...I thought only habs fans were biased as hell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Messenger said:
Gamache is a couple years older then the group we are comparing here in this thread.

Mike Cammalleri is right ahead of him, he is only a year older .. How about him ??

And when Gamache was the same age Wellwood is now he was scoring ... almost exactly the same amount of points Wellwood is now.

Cammalleri has been better than Wellwood at every interval of their respective careers, and his superior skating ability makes him a substantially better pro prospect. Even at that, he's a hit or miss guy, too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
MLH said:
Do you honestly think Wellwood has a higher ceiling than Vanek?
In all Fairness how can anyone be sure when it comes to prospects .. Brown , Vermette have already played in the NHL ..

However all the rest that have not are still equal until they do ..

Looking at the scoring race is just one method to determine success at Pro Hockey level right below the NHL ..

How are we measuring Success or potential in this thread??

Once a player has made the NHL scoring stats very much become a way to measure success, then why can't AHL points be a measuring stick at that level ??

It certainly doesn't guarantee NHL success but the better you perform at the AHL level the longer look you might get or better opportunity you might get to make the NHL as a result..

So based on that Vanek has 34 goals ... Wellwood has 34 goals .. That looks like similar success at the moment ..

They both play in the Same AHL Division , so they play against the exact same opponents, same schedule .. all of those are facts .. everything else is guess work at this point, and not accuracy to guessing .. IMO ..

Why is Derek Roy on the list of choices he is smaller then Welly and has 15 goals on the season .. What makes him a better prospect??

Not a single person can post a single article that can definitively PROVE what the future will hold for any prospect .. at the moment its all about opportunity ..

Right now I call them tied ... Lets meet back here in 5 years and see what happened ..

Last edited:

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Sure, no one can predict who will have the best career without doubt, but that doesn't give you a free pass to put your favorite prospect as the one with the highest upside.

Vanek's skill set is much better and I think it's fairly safe to say that if both players fully live up to their highest upside that Vanek will be a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad