AHL Forward Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

Can anyone explain to me why Roy is always rated higher than Wellwood?

Vanek seems to have some attitude issues i.e. playing when he feels like it and rarely on defence.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
mooseOAK said:
Can anyone explain to me why Roy is always rated higher than Wellwood?

Vanek seems to have some attitude issues i.e. playing when he feels like it and rarely on defence.

Roy is better then Wellwood maybe thats why he's ranked higher. Roy has all ready played a full season in the NHL.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
The Messenger said:
Why is Derek Roy on the list of choices he is smaller then Welly and has 15 goals on the season .. What makes him a better prospect??

I said you can put anyone, I just included Roy because he was on the HF top 50 list.

I'll add Wellwood for you Leaf homers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
MLH said:
Sure, no one can predict who will have the best career without doubt, but that doesn't give you a free pass to put your favorite prospect as the one with the highest upside..
Of course it does .. Just as much right as anyone else to put their Favourite prospect on the list ..

Goals

1a) Kyle Wellwood.......34
1b) Thomas Vanek.......34
3) Dustin Brown..........28
4) Chris Higgins...........27
5) Antoine Vermette....25
6) Mikko Koivu............19
7a) Zach Parise..........15
7b) Derek Roy............15
9) Andrei Kostsitsyn....12
10) Anthony Stewart...NA

Assists

1) Kyle Wellwood.........47
2) Derek Roy..............43
3a) Dustin Brown........41
3b) Antoine Vermette..41
5) Zach Parise...........39
6) Mikko Koivu...........28
7) Thomas Vanek.......24
8) Chris Higgins..........21
9) Andrei Kostsitsyn.....9
10) Anthony Stewart...NA

1) Kyle Wellwood.........81
2) Dustin Brown..........69
3) Antoine Vermette....66
4a) Thomas Vanek......58
4b) Derek Roy............58
6) Zach Parise............54
7) Chris Higgins...........48
8) Mikko Koivu............47
9) Andrei Kostsitsyn.....21
10) Anthony Stewart...NA

Same League ... Same Competition ... Relatively all the Same Age (20 - 21)

My favourite Prospect leads in all 3 offensive Categories ..

So why is it so wrong for me to put him on the list ???

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
The Messenger said:
So why is it so wrong for me to put him on the list ???

I see nothing wrong with putting him in for question #3. I strongly disagree, but my opinion doesn't matter.

To say that he has the highest ceiling, however, is a little crazy.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
1) Wellwood :teach:

2) Brown

3) Wellwood

while we're at it, why not:

wellwood

wellwood

wellwood

:dunno:

i heard ian white is gonna be an annual 1st team NHL all-star too
:biglaugh:

my actual picks:

1- vanek
2- parise
3- brown

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
1. Vanek
2. Brown
3. Brown

Brown is guaranteed to be a good NHL player thats why i choose him and he's 2nd in pts which shows he can put up pts plus he has good attitude which you need to play for Andy Murray

Sammy*

MS said:
And when Gamache was the same age Wellwood is now he was scoring ... almost exactly the same amount of points Wellwood is now.

Cammalleri has been better than Wellwood at every interval of their respective careers, and his superior skating ability makes him a substantially better pro prospect. Even at that, he's a hit or miss guy, too.
Plus Cammalleri doesnt skate like he is dragging a motorhome behind him & isnt a fairy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Messenger said:
In all Fairness how can anyone be sure when it comes to prospects .. Brown , Vermette have already played in the NHL ..

However all the rest that have not are still equal until they do ..

Looking at the scoring race is just one method to determine success at Pro Hockey level right below the NHL ..

How are we measuring Success or potential in this thread??

Once a player has made the NHL scoring stats very much become a way to measure success, then why can't AHL points be a measuring stick at that level ??

It certainly doesn't guarantee NHL success but the better you perform at the AHL level the longer look you might get or better opportunity you might get to make the NHL as a result..

So based on that Vanek has 34 goals ... Wellwood has 34 goals .. That looks like similar success at the moment ..

They both play in the Same AHL Division , so they play against the exact same opponents, same schedule .. all of those are facts .. everything else is guess work at this point, and not accuracy to guessing .. IMO ..

Why is Derek Roy on the list of choices he is smaller then Welly and has 15 goals on the season .. What makes him a better prospect??

Not a single person can post a single article that can definitively PROVE what the future will hold for any prospect .. at the moment its all about opportunity ..

Right now I call them tied ... Lets meet back here in 5 years and see what happened ..

By your logic I can credibly claim that Colton Yellow Horn is as good a prospect as Gilbert Brule or Bobby Ryan. Or that Kris Russell is as likely or more to play in the NHL as Ryan Parent.

Your Wellwood obsession is the strangest case of stat-mongering I've ever seen. To say that Kyle Wellwood and Thomas Vanek are equal in terms of pro potential just because both have the same goal total is just ridiculous.

Vanek *may* flop and Wellwood *may* succeed. But the odds of Vanek succeeding with his size and abilities are exponentially better than the odds of Wellwood succeeding with his. End of story.

bruins4777*

AHL offense does not mean NHL offense or else peter white and john slaney would be dominating the NHL along with keith aucoin and lee goren

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Artem Chubarov had 21 goals and 43 points in 43 ahl and ihl games. That if nothing else shows how little AHL stats mean.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ok, ok, Wellwood sucks. Enough already.

Messenger, you should know better than to suggest any Leaf player or prospect is good. Jeez.

mooseOAK*

Habsfan 32 said:
Roy is better then Wellwood maybe thats why he's ranked higher. Roy has all ready played a full season in the NHL.
Yeah, for Buffalo.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
PepNCheese said:

Messenger, you should know better than to suggest any Leaf player or prospect is good. Jeez.

No one said Wellwood sucks. The point is nobody who's not a Leafs fan thinks Wellwood has the best upside of the prospects listed. It makes less sense than saying Kostitsyn is the safest pick. Can he be your preferred prospect? Absolutely, there are very few people who would agree, but there's nothing wrong with that. However, to say Wellwood has the highest upside because doesn't make sense.

mooseOAK said:
Yeah, for Buffalo.

He was the no.3 center behind Drury and Brière. The numbers he put up are very respectable for an undersized rookie. He has proven he can play at the NHL level (on the bottom 6 pairing), Wellwood has not. Granted it,s only one season and we will have to see if he can repeat, but there's no reason to think he'll fail. For him to get a spot as a 5'9 guy behind Drury and Brière shows the guy has talent. Does Wellwood have more upside? Perhaps, but personally I don't think so.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
PepNCheese said:

Talk about overreacting....nobody said Wellwood sucks. :help: And you are telling me if you were a GM and someone offered you Vanek or Parise or Roy for Wellwood you would refuse straight up? I would take any one of those trades.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Highest upside: Vanek and Kostitsyn, as seems to be the consensus. Vanek is much closer to it now, and a much safer pick.

Safest bet to reach potential: Roy, because he already has. Brown and others can have honorable mentions.

If I could pick one: Kostitsyn, because I'm a total homer. If I take off the tinted glasses, Vanek.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
westcoast said:
Talk about overreacting....nobody said Wellwood sucks. :help: And you are telling me if you were a GM and someone offered you Vanek or Parise or Roy for Wellwood you would refuse straight up? I would take any one of those trades.

Obviously Vanek and Parise are well ahead of Wellwood but i wouldn't trade him for Roy who i actually picked as the safest of the prospects. Roy is a good player but what he is now is basically what he is gonna be and that type of player is pretty common while Wellwood is very hit or miss but if he does make it, it will be as a top six player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
PepNCheese said:

He doesn't suck at all, in fact he's a much better player than I and most give him credit for, he's a very creative player who's skating isin't as bad as everyone says it is, although it remains to be seen if he's just another Domenic Pittis...

I personally like Wellwood, I didin't at the beginning of the year, mostly because I didin't know enough about him, after seeing him play a few times, I can say that he's tremendously skilled, probably on par with Derek Roy really, but he has 2 inches on him....

I think alot of Leafs fans have very high expectations for Wellwood, which is fine, because of the stats he's put up this year, some think he's ready to play a top 6 role next year, I couldn't disagree more though, I still think he's not quite ready yet, a player like David Ling has helped him achieve those great number this year, although I think Wellwood has more to do with Ling's point totals then the other way around, but IMO, he's nowhere near being ready...

But really come on, you think that Wellwood's ceiling is the highest because of his stats this year?

Like another poster said, look at last year's point leaders in the AHL, scoring alot of points in the AHL doesn't mean a whole lot, it really doesn't...

I really hope for Leafs fans sake that Wellwood reaches his potential, but even at that, I still think his highest potential is as a 2nd line center, and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact, I see alot of similarities with Wellwood and a player like Mike Ribeiro, both are flashy offensive players, undersized, not the greatest skaters and are extremely creative...

mooseOAK*

Quiet Robert said:
He was the no.3 center behind Drury and Brière. The numbers he put up are very respectable for an undersized rookie. He has proven he can play at the NHL level (on the bottom 6 pairing), Wellwood has not. Granted it,s only one season and we will have to see if he can repeat, but there's no reason to think he'll fail. For him to get a spot as a 5'9 guy behind Drury and Brière shows the guy has talent. Does Wellwood have more upside? Perhaps, but personally I don't think so.

It appears that Roy's ranking has been downgraded from the last time I looked. Never mind.

mooseOAK*

felixd said:
That's amazing. Out of the top 20 only two players qualify as good prospects: Plekanec and Balej. Plekanec's also not even projected to be a top 6 player.
Scoring leaders in the AHL are typically your older players but this season is atypical in that teams replaced a lot of those guys on the minor league rosters with their young NHL players from last season due to the lockout.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
felixd said:
That's amazing. Out of the top 20 only two players qualify as good prospects: Plekanec and Balej. Plekanec's also not even projected to be a top 6 player.

umm, i think you forgot brad boyes.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
gardebut30 said:
umm, i think you forgot brad boyes.

Yes, sorry. Point still stands. Out of the top 20 top scorers in the AHL last season only 3 are considered good prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->