Confirmed with Link: Adam Pardy re-signs, 1 year, $700k

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
So, assuming Redmond comes back, that's 9 D. Ellerby likely is a goner.

Enstrom - Bogo
Morrissey - Trouba
Pardy - Postma
Clitsome - Redmond
Stuart

Ellerby's gone.
Don't assume Redmond's back.
Don't put Stuart as the 9th D.

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Morrissey
Pardy/Postma

with Moz maybe being paired with Trouba or Stuart instead.

Well, that D looks a lot worse than two seasons ago, and worse than last season. To me, it's very concerning that we're not improving our D on paper.

Not sure how you say that, unless you think subtracting Buff makes it worse.
Trouba's in.
Morrissey's likely in.
You guys got to move on from the Hainsey break-up and get on with your hockey-loving lives! :)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
BrYcZxeCYAAmglk.png:large

YWG

Jun 1, 2011
I can't see Redmond wanting to come back. He's number 9 on the depth chart. He probably wants a fresh start in a new organization where he gets a chance to play.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ellerby's gone.
Don't assume Redmond's back.
Don't put Stuart as the 9th D.

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Morrissey
Pardy/Postma

with Moz maybe being paired with Trouba or Stuart instead.

Not sure how you say that, unless you think subtracting Buff makes it worse.
Trouba's in.
Morrissey's likely in.
You guys got to move on from the Hainsey break-up and get on with your hockey-loving lives! :)

I definitely think that subtracting a top pairing D-man makes our D worse. And I think that getting rid of a player who handled some of the toughest minutes in the league and replacing him with (at best) a 19 year old Morrissey makes it worse as well.

Not only because I think that Morrissey is a worse player than Hainsey was, but also because this makes Enström our only capable shut down LD.

So instead of having one of the very best offensive pairings (the best?) in the league, we have a third line RW and a shutdown D.

I love Trouba as much as the next guy. If he can replace Byfuglien, it won't make our team much worse. But he's 20. What if he has a sophomore slump? Are we gonna throw Bogosian in there as a shutdown, something he has proven is a role he fits poorly in?

Two years ago, we had one of the premier pairings in the league, and one hell of a shutdown pairing. Can you imagine how good a third pairing of Trouba and Morrissey would look? There's the risk of that being our 2nd pairing next season. That is a big problem.

We STILL do not have a 2nd pairing LD. Considering the re-signing of Pardy Orr, I don't think it's something that our GM is prioritizing right now.

So, yes. I think our D has become a lot worse since the days of Oduya serving up pizzas. Remember, back then our D could handle injuries to Enström. If Enström gets injured now, our top pairing D is either a rookie Joshua, a Clitsome who just had back surgery, or Mark Stuart.

We have potentially the best RD in the league, but for some reason it looks like we're letting Trouba sink or swim, and are putting Buff on RW. And don't get me wrong, I want Trouba with Enström, because otherwise he'll probably be put with Stuart.

Except for Trouba exceeding expectations, how has any part of our D improved at all over the past few seasons?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
So, assuming Redmond comes back, that's 9 D. Ellerby likely is a goner.

Enstrom - Bogo
Morrissey - Trouba
Pardy - Postma
Clitsome - Redmond
Stuart

I honestly don't know what Chevy is doing. Even with Morrissey, that defense simply can't cut it in our division. IMO, Pardy, Clitsome and Ellerby are all 7th defensemen.

If we really needed a depth defenseman, why not re-sign Redmond to a 1-way deal instead? All I can think of is that he's not interested in re-signing, so we settled for Pardy.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
As you were getting to Romang, it hasn't. Our best offensive defenseman is rotting in a position he hates instead of, I don't know, playing his proper position or getting traded for other assets *cough* second pairing LHD*cough*

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some of the suggested line ups are interesting for where they put Clitsome for one.

Enstrom Bogo
Clitsome Trouba
Morrisey Postma/Redmond if he signs
Stuart Pardy - wrong side I know but it isn't LHD we're short its RHD
Still to come
Ellerby Kichton
Melchiori
Chiarot

TBH I don't want to lose any of them, especially Redmond but I think he'd be a fool to sign here with no roster spot open. I wish they would hurry up and trade Postma, then sign Redmond but what are the odds of that happening? Ellerby played well most of the time. I liked those 2 big guys back there just playing defence. He still has potential. But we are just running out of room for 5,6,7 D. Couldn't any of them have been traded while we still had them under contract?

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Sorry gang, but I think Redmond is gonzo. The organization is not in "love" with him, but he has earned regular NHL minutes.

He is not going to get them here, so I would look for him to be elsewhere in the league this year - unless he is ok with the uncertainty of his position - then there may be a chance he accepts an offer. My bet is that he moves on.

Derfel*

I can only assume we'll see a trade where we send a forward for a 3/4 defenseman.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sorry gang, but I think Redmond is gonzo. The organization is not in "love" with him, but he has earned regular NHL minutes.

I'm not sure I agree with you. He was our only D who could be sent down without waivers last season. He also had a pretty terrible training camp but ended the season pretty strong. The Jets will have to pony up if he's gonna stay. It will likely take a 2 year 1 way contract.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I've been an admitted Pardy fan since back in his days in Calgary. He was never able to get Ruff's attention in Buffalo it seems, but since he came to Winnipeg - the more ice time he received, the better he played. Not that he'll ever amount to anything more than a bottom-pair D at best, but he at least puts in an honest effort each and every night. Even if he fills that 7/8 position that Flood was stuck in, a team can never have enough D given injuries. Am glad he signed.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@WiebeSunSports: Agent Scott Norton (@NortonSports) tweets that D Zach Redmond (pending UFA) garnering plenty of interest but could still return to #NHLJets

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
@WiebeSunSports: Agent Scott Norton (@NortonSports) tweets that D Zach Redmond (pending UFA) garnering plenty of interest but could still return to #NHLJets

Cast me in the camp that likes Redmond better than Postma but I do agree with the comments here, Redmond is likely better off with another team where he can garner some playing time.

I'm good with Pardy's signing, I don't dislike him at all (his dangles scare the hell out of me) and if he's happy with the 3rd pairing minutes, I think he's a good fit there.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I suppose they expect that a new coach and defensive system can increase a goalie's save percentage by around 2%. It can't, but I suppose they'll have to learn the hard way. Or, more likely, not learn it at all, and worry about our compete level, or some such thing, instead.

Anyway. Pardy will be fine as a depth option, it makes little difference to me. Chevy's made his bed on D with the Stuart contract. Let's try our best to get cozy, because I suspect the results will be uncomfortable.

It's not a certainty that it won't. I don't think it's that impossible. If its same old, same old, on to Hutch I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad