Former Bruins Adam McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
No, just go in with authority and purpose is all. Make your presence felt.

How? Without getting a penalty. He did what he did, the meathead days are over bud, no matter how much you scream for them.

Only a Boston fan would pout and find the negative after a win after a mighty fine 3 months of dominate hockey.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see any reason for McQuaid to come out of the lineup. He's played two damn solid games, and his "take no ****" mentality is nice to have back there.

Will be interesting to see what they do once Kevan is over his illness, because like you said, he's played quite well.

Reactions: 00BW

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
How? Without getting a penalty. He did what he did, the meathead days are over bud, no matter how much you scream for them.

Only a Boston fan would pout and find the negative after a win after a mighty fine 3 months of dominate hockey.

I'm already on record saying it's nitpicking and a pet peeve.

Has nothing to do with meathead, scrums happen constantly without penalty calls.

Carlo could use a bit of physical confidence in his game.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm fully on board with mashing people's heads in after illegal hits but I've accepted those days are gone with the clean hits. It's funny we are debating that mini scrum that happened after the hit on Krejci because Marchand hit Barzal as hard as that twice last night and there was no push back at all from the Islanders. I like that this team has each other's back but they are also playing smart by going up to the line but not crossing it for a penalty.
I'll tell you tough, I'm still pissed at the lack of response last season's Bruins (and Player Safety) had to the Ovechkin hit on Carlo that gave him a concussion. Chara should have pounded him (turtled on the ice or not) for that dirty boarding hit on his D partner and a 1st year player. Unfortunately, the game has moved away even a response to that.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Griz sure has been a pleasant surprise and given the Bs better depth at D. The third line is in good shape. It'll be interesting to see how Cassidy handles this situation. It's hard to take Griz out of the lineup given how well he moves the puck and how fast he skates. Quaider and Killer are both rock solid third pairing guys. It seems to me that Cassidy would be best served to rotate Quaider and Killer depending on the opponent. That would keep both players fresh and sharp, and also allow the team to continue to benefit from Griz's skill set. Kind of an expensive third-pairing to rotate, but it might be best for the team. I'd leave the top 4 as is since I think they have good balance.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It’s quite literally amazing that we have this “problem”. Just a couple of years ago our defense was the laughing stock of the League.

Hell, we even lost C Miller to expansion.

On the other hand..... wonder if Habs are pleased they picked up J Morrow? Guy barely cracks what is a truly putrid D Corp.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It’s quite literally amazing that we have this “problem”. Just a couple of years ago our defense was the laughing stock of the League.

Hell, we even lost C Miller to expansion.

On the other hand..... wonder if Habs are pleased they picked up J Morrow? Guy barely cracks what is a truly putrid D Corp.
Amazing how much the emergence of Carlo last season and McAvoy and Griz this season has changed the defensive landscape for the Bs.

I very much like Chiller and thought the future would be bright for him with the Bs. Was sad to see him go.
Good for him for doing well in Vegas. Funny thing, I haven't missed him one iota this season.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
McQuaid will be back in the press box when Miller is ready. Miller is a much better skater and puck mover than McQuaid, can play top-4 minutes unlike Adam and is deservedly higher on the depth chart. Miller is closer to Boychuk than McQuaid. I know there is this tendency to equate Miller and McQuaid but it's really not close these days. Can McQuaid score on an end to end rush? Two solid games by McQuaid as an injury replacement for Miller doesn't change the defensive pecking order any more than Vatrano filling in for Heinen would up front.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Ridiculous.

No what's ridiculous is rosters that contain too many older players who play 50-60 games a year. I love Adam, but Adam + Chara + Miller isn't needed. You only need 2 of those, specially in the faster NHL. You don't need all 3. And of the 3 he's the most frequently injured and the most 1 dimensional skill set. He'd be my pick to go.

We could really use that 2m extra right about now going into this trade deadline.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
No what's ridiculous is rosters that contain too many older players who play 50-60 games a year. I love Adam, but Adam + Chara + Miller isn't needed. You only need 2 of those, specially in the faster NHL. You don't need all 3. And of the 3 he's the most frequently injured and the most 1 dimensional skill set. He'd be my pick to go.

We could really use that 2m extra right about now going into this trade deadline.

They have five million plus at the deadline that they more than likely not going to spend.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Reading this again, you couldn't be more wrong. Adam/Kevan are solid 4/6 RHD. Chara has done immense work for McAvoys development while maintaining top PK / Shutdown defenseman status.

Backes has been superb. Krejci as well. I must be missing something here

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You've got to measure the gap between what your 900k guy can do in Adam's spot vs his 2.75m. You'll quickly come to the conclusion that it's money best spent elsewhere. Be honest, go shift for shift over an 82 game season.

You can take almost any statistical indicator you want too. Corsi, whatever you prefer. McQuaid is being paid 2.75m to be tough and kill penalties. The troublesome part is most seasons he's missing such big chunks of games that you aren't even getting that. At some point you go another direction. It'll happen here after this contract, if not before the end of it. The new NHL doesn't require half the blueline to be Chara/Miller/Mcquaid mold (and to an extent Carlo). It's one too many at least. Specially on the right.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Will be interesting to see what they do once Kevan is over his illness, because like you said, he's played quite well.

Cassidy likes what he's seen from McQuaid.

“Very steady. He does what Adam McQuaid does, very good on the kill, moves the puck, simple plays, defends hard. He's actually added some offensive dimensions from the O-zone blue line. With his time out, he's been working on that part of his game and it shows. I thought that would be an area of rust without a lot of pressure in practice, but he's handled it very well,” said Cassidy.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You've got to measure the gap between what your 900k guy can do in Adam's spot vs his 2.75m. You'll quickly come to the conclusion that it's money best spent elsewhere. Be honest, go shift for shift over an 82 game season.

You can take almost any statistical indicator you want too. Corsi, whatever you prefer. McQuaid is being paid 2.75m to be tough and kill penalties. The troublesome part is most seasons he's missing such big chunks of games that you aren't even getting that. At some point you go another direction. It'll happen here after this contract, if not before the end of it. The new NHL doesn't require half the blueline to be Chara/Miller/Mcquaid mold (and to an extent Carlo). It's one too many at least. Specially on the right.

I disagree with literally everything in this post. Sorry game isn't quite speed skating with sticks yet

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
having mcquaid around is a nice perk - you don't have to rush guys back from illness or injury, and you have internal
competition. assume he'll be traded over the summer, but you need 8-9 NHL D on most cup runs, so good for us.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree with literally everything in this post. Sorry game isn't quite speed skating with sticks yet

What was in that post that was incorrect? He didn't even knock McQuaid in the post.

You can find 3rd pair PK D-men for less than 2.75 million per.....true

McQuaid is injured a lot......true

The Bruins will likely move on from McQuaid no later than the end of his current contract in June 2019....also true

You don't and shouldn't need 4 big defensive-type D-men out of 6 dressed to be successful....true as well

You can wish for the old days and deny the reality all you want. But the way you assemble a 6-man group of D-men has changed, gone are the days of 1 puck-mover/offensive guy and 5 McQuaid-types. The 50/50 split if you will, that the Bruins have going today seems to be working pretty darn good, considering they are the best team in the league that last two months.

Reactions: RedeyeRocketeer

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I don't see any reason for McQuaid to come out of the lineup. He's played two damn solid games, and his "take no ****" mentality is nice to have back there.

There is a reason, and that reason is that both Carlo and Miller are better hockey players than he is. All have similar skills, but the difference in skating is noticeable and Miller and Carlo have both been playing solid for most of the season, so two games isn't gonna change my opinion on that.

He showed that he can be relied on in case of injury, and is a big luxury for this team to have at this point in time.

Honestly I really don't think it's an insult to McQuaid, he's been a great soldier for us and I have nothing but respect for what he does it's just more a sign of how well the defense has been playing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There is a reason, and that reason is that both Carlo and Miller are better hockey players than he is. All have similar skills, but the difference in skating is noticeable and Miller and Carlo have both been playing solid for most of the season, so two games isn't gonna change my opinion on that.

He showed that he can be relied on in case of injury, and is a big luxury for this team to have at this point in time.

Honestly I really don't think it's an insult to McQuaid, he's been a great soldier for us and I have nothing but respect for what he does it's just more a sign of how well the defense has been playing.

And how deep they are on the right side.

McQuaid would be an everyday D-man for a vast majority of NHL teams.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I wouldn’t move him ,nothing wrong with having extra defencemen,we saw that
last season.

Reactions: TCB and Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Did Mcquaid play his last game as a Bruin before injury?

Unless an injury occurs..he may never play again it looks like
I'm not kidding the second I read this I figured someone gets the flu going around and he's back in

In full disclosure I didn't pick Miller

Reactions: Ladyfan

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
What was in that post that was incorrect? He didn't even knock McQuaid in the post.

You can find 3rd pair PK D-men for less than 2.75 million per.....true

McQuaid is injured a lot......true

The Bruins will likely move on from McQuaid no later than the end of his current contract in June 2019....also true

You don't and shouldn't need 4 big defensive-type D-men out of 6 dressed to be successful....true as well

You can wish for the old days and deny the reality all you want. But the way you assemble a 6-man group of D-men has changed, gone are the days of 1 puck-mover/offensive guy and 5 McQuaid-types. The 50/50 split if you will, that the Bruins have going today seems to be working pretty darn good, considering they are the best team in the league that last two months.

Precisely my point. Agreeing with you is pretty fun. I like it better than the other way.

Reactions: BruinDust

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
McQuaid continues to be excellent at all the things the internet doesn't value or doesn't know how to evaluate in defensemen. Always in position, taking away passing and shooting lanes, denying zone entries, especially on the PK, taking care of the puck in the danger areas, and making smart pinches here and there. Him and Grzelcyk are probably a more balanced pair than him and Krug and it'll be nice to see how that plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad