Recalled/Assigned: Adam Lowry sent down to Moose

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Such as?

Lowry has been brutal this year. He's not eligible for waivers. Maurice is desperately looking for something to spark their moribund bottom six.

Seems pretty straightforward, no? :dunno:

Gruesome fact: Since the beginning of November (20 games) our bottom six/seven has combined for just 8 goals, and 4 of them have been scored by Chris Thorburn.

Thorburn: 4
Ehlers: 1
Burmistrov: 1
Lowry: 1
Peluso: 1
Copp: 0
Petan: 0

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
Tell me why Ehlers deserves more ice time?

Well Ladd doesn't deserve the time he is on the ice. since PSS has been playing pretty well recently, you have 6 forwards to choose from ... so it's either him or Thorburn. And as a former Thrasher fan , watching Thorburn on your first line isn't as great as it may sound...:sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well Ladd doesn't the time he is on the ice. since PSS plays pretty well, you have 6 forwards ... so it's either him or Thorburn. And as a former Thrasher fan , watching Thorburn on your first line isn't as great as it may sound...:sarcasm:

I disagree that Ehlers deserves more ice time than Ladd. Ehlers has score 1 goal in his last 22 games. He belongs on the third line. Thorburn is unfortunate but it is what it is.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Gruesome fact: Since the beginning of November (20 games) our bottom six/seven has combined for just 8 goals, and 4 of them have been scored by Chris Thorburn.

Thorburn: 4
Ehlers: 1
Burmistrov: 1
Lowry: 1
Peluso: 1
Copp: 0
Petan: 0

That's...sad. :laugh: :cry:

I'm wondering if Burmistrov and Copp are next. Copp would likely benefit from some time in the AHL, he looks like an unfinished product just barely treading water in the NHL. Burmi has been completely underwhelming, to the point where I wouldn't be that unhappy if he was waived.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I have a theory that Maurice will try to shame Chevy into acquring bottom-6 depth players by playing Pardy on the 4th line. Whether that would be a worthwhile investment now that the season is already lost is another question.

Understatement of the year for a team that has guaranteed a roster spot to a straight out of college rookie with 1 NHL game, an AHL prospect with uneven AHL performances and a 19 year old rookie with absolutely no backup in case they don't work out.

Not saying Copp, Armia and Ehlers shouldn't be on the team, far from it, I'd be ecstatic if they can contribute. But to go into the season handing them the spot on a silver platter without any backup or plans for backup is so disappointing (and no Halischuck is not a backup plan).

So frustrating, since there was a cheap 4th line available in the offseason for likely under 3.5 million for 3 players (think Stempniak, Goc, Bergenheim/Kennedy/Sheppard) for 2 year contracts or less. All very tradable players and if need be they can move up the depth chart in case of injuries instead of having to trot out Thorburn on the 2nd like like we did last year at times before we got the depth. That way the rookies would have had to earn their way on the team and if they did it would just push Peluso/Thorburn down the depth chart. In the worst case we could have easily traded one of the spare parts. Chevy better hope that the rookies work out otherwise he is either going to have a sub-par lineup or look like a fool trying to acquire players by giving up assets when he could have had them for free in the off season

If a moron like me could see this coming a mile away, it is baffling our GM didn't. By not signing guys like Stempniak and Tlusty who could have jumped in during a time like this we pretty much doomed our season before it even started

Detroit makes the playoffs for 25 straight years by gifting spots no nobody, and making their prospects either dominate the AHL or outright steal a veterans job at camp. I thought we were on this path until we started gifting spots to prospects in 2014.

Rushing prospects and trading star UFAs for peanuts at the deadline sounds a lot more like Don Waddell than Ken Holland. :shakehead

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
I disagree that Ehlers deserves more ice time than Ladd. Ehlers has score 1 goal in his last 22 games. He belongs on the third line. Thorburn is unfortunate but it is what it is.

Well Ladd's 8 in 31 doesn't impress me either. And he is playing with Wheeler & Little on a line whereas Ehlers has to play with the offensive limited Burmistrov and Thorburn with less minutes/ game.

I'd say the first line needs a shakeup without touching the hot PSS line. Ehlers is the only one who has the talent .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well Ladd's 8 in 31 doesn't impress me either. And he is playing with Wheeler & Little on a line whereas Ehlers has to play with the offensive limited Burmistrov and Thorburn with less minutes/ game.

I'd say the first line needs a shakeup without touching the hot PSS line. Ehlers is the only one who has the talent .

I understandwhat you're saying but the post above is talking about rushing prospects. How is that not rushing Ehlers? He hasn't shown me he can regularly compete against the best players in the league. He will play against them more often on that line. He's not ready for that role yet. Yeah Ehlers will get more points but the team will not likley be more successful. On top of that I don't think that's the best development plan for him.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'd like to see Ehlers on the first* line just for one game. And by first line I mean the second line.
* You know what I mean.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Question: Do we have the worst bottom 6 in the NHL?
Another question: Do we have with the new D pairs, the worst bottom pairing in the NHL?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I understandwhat you're saying but the post above is talking about rushing prospects. How is that not rushing Ehlers? He hasn't shown me he can regularly compete against the best players in the league. He will play against them more often on that line. He's not ready for that role yet. Yeah Ehlers will get more points but the team will not likley be more successful. On top of that I don't think that's the best development plan for him.

Linemates is about 6x the impact of who you face against.

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut

I agree that Ehlers should not be overburdened. Yet , an experiment sending him to the first line has not to be a permanent one, he can always be switched back if he struggles and can not keep up the pace.

Maybe they'll call up Petan again and put him with Burmi and Ehlers on a line , but I doubt Maurice would consider this.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Just a thought -
Maybe we play PSS against the other team's top lines, and play Ehlers-Little-Wheeler as a 2nd line.

Of course, we're not always in complete control of the line matching. And I'm not sure I like the idea of messing with PSS in any way. But it would be one approach to giving Ehlers much better line mates in a more offensive role, while still being somewhat sheltered.

That all being said, if the plan is to trade Ladd, I don't think demoting him to the 3rd line is a good idea. That's a sure-fire way to sabotage his trade value.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Just a thought -
Maybe we play PSS against the other team's top lines, and play Ehlers-Little-Wheeler as a 2nd line.

Of course, we're not always in complete control of the line matching. And I'm not sure I like the idea of messing with PSS in any way. But it would be one approach to giving Ehlers much better line mates in a more offensive role, while still being somewhat sheltered.

That all being said, if the plan is to trade Ladd, I don't think demoting him to the 3rd line is a good idea. That's a sure-fire way to sabotage his trade value.

Likelihood of Ladd being traded <10%. Likelihood of Buff being traded >50%. Desire of posters to trade Ladd rather than Buff >75%

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have a theory that Maurice will try to shame Chevy into acquring bottom-6 depth players by playing Pardy on the 4th line. Whether that would be a worthwhile investment now that the season is already lost is another question.

Pretty far-fetched theory about Maurice. If he even contemplates "shaming" the GM by altering his line-up he should be fired immediately and never set foot behind an NHL bench again.

Making this team a long-term contender has nothing to do with having one or two bottom line "depth" players. It might have helped a bit this year, but not so much if your special teams are as horrible as the Jets', and they keep on taking way too many penalties, and they have inconsistent goaltending.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Glad they sent a message to the guy who is making the Jets suck... Not Stuart or Ladd, but Lowry...

Ladd is making the Jets suck? :laugh:

He started rough but has played better and better IMHO and is still getting his points.

8 goals and 10 assists in 31 games. Not setting the world afire but that's still a 20 goal season and 45 points. That is despite a very cool start.

Andrew Ladd isn't making the Jets suck. He's even only taken 6 minors this year.

As for Lowry, I thought he's been the weakest guy on the 4th line this year. Weaker than Peluso. It's odd to send a guy down when he does so well in his rookie season but it goes to show just how gawdawful he has been.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's...sad. :laugh: :cry:

I'm wondering if Burmistrov and Copp are next. Copp would likely benefit from some time in the AHL, he looks like an unfinished product just barely treading water in the NHL. Burmi has been completely underwhelming, to the point where I wouldn't be that unhappy if he was waived.

Wow, I'm shocked at the Burmi statement. The guy seems to just be missing on great plays. I don't know if he will ever be able to start completing them on a regular basis but I don't think he's been bad enough to even consider waiving.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I'm a bit surprised Lowry was sent down, but he also hasn't been as effective this season (playing the game he plays) as he was last year. Maybe a little breather will do some good. I wouldn't imagine he'll be down long.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wow, I'm shocked at the Burmi statement. The guy seems to just be missing on great plays. I don't know if he will ever be able to start completing them on a regular basis but I don't think he's been bad enough to even consider waiving.

Burmistrov is starting to emerge as tweener, IMO. Not good enough offensively to play in a scoring role, doesn't contribute enough defensively or possession-wise to play a defensive role. I doubt he gets waived this season, but is basically the exact type of player that sees the waiver wire at some point.

Hope I'm wrong and he gets it going, but I'm not optimistic.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
New idea

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Stafford
Lowry - Copp - Burmistrov
Ehlers - Petan - Armia

Offensive 4th line that gets easy match ups.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
For some reason it's sacrilegious to want to put Ehlers back into the top 6. Quite honestly, there's no one else on the team I'd want to have the puck alone in the slot more than Ehlers. Problem is, with #6 and Thorburn this pretty much never happens. Just look at how much Stafford's production sky rocketed when he got to play with Scheifele. I get the concerns but it's not like we're fixing something that ain't broke. The Jets are broke and need to win hockey games.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Burmistrov is starting to emerge as tweener, IMO. Not good enough offensively to play in a scoring role, doesn't contribute enough defensively or possession-wise to play a defensive role. I doubt he gets waived this season, but is basically the exact type of player that sees the waiver wire at some point.

Hope I'm wrong and he gets it going, but I'm not optimistic.

Burmistrov is a very solid possession/defensive player already though.....

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Burmistrov is a very solid possession/defensive player already though.....

He's the worst player currently on the Jets roster in terms shot differentials this season. I'm well aware that he's been good in that regard in the past. Right now he's doing absolutely nothing to offset his lack of production. His puck management and overall effectiveness in the cycle game has been lacking, to say the least.

Like I said, I hope he gets it going. I know he has been effective in the past, and that's all I've got for hope at this point. He has been largely useless this year.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
New idea

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Stafford
Lowry - Copp - Burmistrov
Ehlers - Petan - Armia

Offensive 4th line that gets easy match ups.

That's a clever idea.

I like it, particularly because the season is pretty much down the tubes (so less risk playing so many rookies), and it gives a lot of ice time to our young guns.

Although I think we'd probably see a 3rd line of:
Copp - Burmi - Thorburn

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think this is to get Lowry back on track and where we want him to be. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it's a shot in the arm for him and he comes back better.

I could see a situation where we dress 7 D now with Pardy subbing in some and then playing on the PK. Could also play on the 4th line for a few shifts. In other words, a complete fail. :laugh:

He's the worst player currently on the Jets roster in terms shot differentials this season. I'm well aware that he's been good in that regard in the past. Right now he's doing absolutely nothing to offset his lack of production. His puck management and overall effectiveness in the cycle game has been lacking, to say the least.

Like I said, I hope he gets it going. I know he has been effective in the past, and that's all I've got for hope at this point. He has been largely useless this year.

He's not good defensively in the sense that he'll make bad turnovers. He's good in the sense that he makes a good play to make up for a bad turnover. :laugh: Needs to simplify his game. Just my take though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad