Recalled/Assigned: Adam Lowry sent down to Moose

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
14:38 - 12/16/2005

Marks the first time I have agreed with you ;)

Lipon is playing well, think he would be better fit on that wing for the 4rth line. Chase De Leo is getting there, Raffle and Armia are most likely the call ups.

Isn't Lipon hurt?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
really? who's that? Armia, Lemieux, Raffl(?), Petan

or are you talking Cormier, Halischuk

I'm including all the young players, rookies and prospects that can form the basis for a future core:

Scheifele, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Morrissey, Ehlers, Petan, Copp, Lemieux, Connor, Roslovic, Appleton, etc...

The point is that they aren't starting with absolutely no future prospects to build around if they want to go that route. It's a very different picture than 2011 when they had essentially the same core as now, but absolutely no good prospects in the system.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yes and Ehlers is part of the problem since he is a regular PP player

Ok - now answer my question & explain why Ehlers is any more part of the problem than anyone else out there. If he had 1 goal & was playing the same amount of time as a bunch of other forwards that had 3-4 during that span, I'd agree with you. But that's not the situation & their PP "system" (more like lack thereof) stinks to high heaven.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers gets regular PP time. Why isn't he producing there? He has 1 goal in his last 22 games. How exactly has he earned a promotion to top line minutes? I don't think it has anything to do with upsetting anyone.

The Jets power play has been at the bottom of the barrel since the team got here. Show me the player that's racking up big points on this Jets power play. Scheifele and Stafford have the same number of power play points as Ehlers, getting roughly the same ice time. The PP goal scoring leaders are Perreault and Ladd with 3 goals each.

Put Ehlers with better linemates and he'll produce. 9 points in his first 12 games. 3 points in his last 19 games. Q.E.D. :)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The Jets power play has been at the bottom of the barrel since the team got here. Show me the player that's racking up big points on this Jets power play. Scheifele and Stafford have the same number of power play points as Ehlers, getting roughly the same ice time. The PP goal scoring leaders are Perreault and Ladd with 3 goals each.

Put Ehlers with better linemates and he'll produce. 9 points in his first 12 games. 3 points in his last 19 games. Q.E.D. :)

Curious eh. Guess he forgot how to play as soon as he got put with Thorbs. Oh well, always need for another third-liner on the Moose.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
In all seriousness I would like to think if they were planning on playing Pardy at forward they would have had him practicing there today. But, well... you never know..

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Jets management and coaching staff has overestimated the youth on this team and it has bitten them in the ass, there is no quick fix the younger players need to be on the ice not playing 4th minutes. Veterans seem to get a free pass on this team so the combination of the 2 factions gives us the predicament we are in today, a team in last place in there division with no hope of making the playoff and players who think they deserve top dollar

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It doesn't save any money and we don't need the cap space.

How wouldn't it save money? He makes $925k in the NHL and $70k in the AHL. Players are paid based on days on the roster. So yes, it would certainly save the team money. I don't think that has anything to do with the decision though.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
How wouldn't it save money? He makes $925k in the NHL and $70k in the AHL. Players are paid based on days on the roster. So yes, it would certainly save the team money. I don't think that has anything to do with the decision though.

That's a pretty petty and bad way to piss off your rookies, kicking them off the roster a few days and taking money out of their pockets to pad the bottom line. You think they'll be happy to play and stay in Winnipeg if management does this?

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
That's a pretty petty and bad way to piss off your rookies, kicking them off the roster a few days and taking money out of their pockets to pad the bottom line. You think they'll be happy to play and stay in Winnipeg if management does this?

you're grasping at imaginary straws with this sort of statement

Last edited:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010

Couldn't Lowry theoretically play Friday?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I never said they sent him down to save money, simply corrected Gil when he said it wouldn't save them money. It certainly will save them money.

you can be assured that there is zero correlation between the demotion of Lowry and the desire to save money

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Couldn't Lowry theoretically play Friday?

In theory but that would be 4 games in a row for him. He would still lose 2 days of NHL pay since they get paid by days on the roster not games.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Ok - now answer my question & explain why Ehlers is any more part of the problem than anyone else out there. If he had 1 goal & was playing the same amount of time as a bunch of other forwards that had 3-4 during that span, I'd agree with you. But that's not the situation & their PP "system" (more like lack thereof) stinks to high heaven.

Tell me why Ehlers deserves more ice time?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
i feel like there's slightly more to this story than what meets the eye.

Such as?

Lowry has been brutal this year. He's not eligible for waivers. Maurice is desperately looking for something to spark their moribund bottom six.

Seems pretty straightforward, no? :dunno:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have a theory that Maurice will try to shame Chevy into acquring bottom-6 depth players by playing Pardy on the 4th line. Whether that would be a worthwhile investment now that the season is already lost is another question.

I made the following post in the off season and it sums up my views:

Understatement of the year for a team that has guaranteed a roster spot to a straight out of college rookie with 1 NHL game, an AHL prospect with uneven AHL performances and a 19 year old rookie with absolutely no backup in case they don't work out.

Not saying Copp, Armia and Ehlers shouldn't be on the team, far from it, I'd be ecstatic if they can contribute. But to go into the season handing them the spot on a silver platter without any backup or plans for backup is so disappointing (and no Halischuck is not a backup plan).

So frustrating, since there was a cheap 4th line available in the offseason for likely under 3.5 million for 3 players (think Stempniak, Goc, Bergenheim/Kennedy/Sheppard) for 2 year contracts or less. All very tradable players and if need be they can move up the depth chart in case of injuries instead of having to trot out Thorburn on the 2nd like like we did last year at times before we got the depth. That way the rookies would have had to earn their way on the team and if they did it would just push Peluso/Thorburn down the depth chart. In the worst case we could have easily traded one of the spare parts. Chevy better hope that the rookies work out otherwise he is either going to have a sub-par lineup or look like a fool trying to acquire players by giving up assets when he could have had them for free in the off season

If a moron like me could see this coming a mile away, it is baffling our GM didn't. By not signing guys like Stempniak and Tlusty who could have jumped in during a time like this we pretty much doomed our season before it even started

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Tell me why Ehlers deserves more ice time?

Maybe not more ice time, but perhaps better linemates? I guess these two sort of go hand in hand though. Thorbs is certainly the happy recipient of playing with Ehlers, imagine if Ehlers played with a real hockey player? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad