Rumor: Adam Larsson will likely sign 4 years, $3.9M AAV with the Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Did Edmonton win the Hall/Larsson trade?

We'll never be able to prove it, but buzz was that the Oilers could've gotten more from another team than just Larsson. Neither the Devils or Oilers really benefitted from the trade so ultimately it's a washout, but the Oilers probably screwed up more at the time by not maximizing Hall's value.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
We'll never be able to prove it, but buzz was that the Oilers could've gotten more from another team than just Larsson. Neither the Devils or Oilers really benefitted from the trade so ultimately it's a washout, but the Oilers probably screwed up more at the time by not maximizing Hall's value.
I'd say it depends on who the other D man being offered up with a + attached was. Rumor was we tried for Harmonic and the Islanders said no. We almost traded him for Cody Ceci (lol) but Melnyk was too cheap. Shattenkirk wouldn't extend with us so that axed that potential trade as well.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
While I respect Adam Larsson's freedom to move on if he wishes, I do think he will show loyalty to the Oilers based on at least two points.

1) The Oilers hockey club were very respectful of allowing him the time required to morn the passing of his father.
2) In a recent interview, Connor McDavid specifically named Adam Larsson as one of his core friends on the team that he wants to try and win with.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
While I respect Adam Larsson's freedom to move on if he wishes, I do think he will show loyalty to the Oilers based on at least two points.

1) The Oilers hockey club were very respectful of allowing him the time required to morn the passing of his father.
2) In a recent interview, Connor McDavid specifically named Adam Larsson as one of his core friends on the team that he wants to try and win with.

To point 2, he was out vacationing with Draisaitl after the season ended. I hope the friendships play a key role in him re-signing.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
So Holland seems to be good at re-signing players this off season (rnh and now larsson) but some one else needs to do the trading I think. Lol.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Yes and no. Devils got a Hart Trophy win from it, Oilers may win on overall length though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yes and no. Devils got a Hart Trophy win from it, Oilers may win on overall length though.

Let me know if you see any Devils fans walking around with “Taylor Hall Hart trophy winner“ T-shirts anywhere

I’m a bottom line guy and if you don’t win the Stanley Cup… Nothing else matters.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Let me know if you see any Devils fans walking around with “Taylor Hall Hart trophy winner“ T-shirts anywhere

I’m a bottom line guy and if you don’t win the Stanley Cup… Nothing else matters.

I mean, I get that angle, truly, but you still gotta appreciate the little things. Like I still love and appreciate the Iggy and Kipper era here for the Flames, same way I'm sure most Oilers fans still have some fondness for Hemsky and Horcoff and whatnot.

Reactions: KlefDown

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
AAA McD Pulju
Nuge Drai Yama
BBB CCC Kassian
Shore Khaira/McLeod Archibald

Nurse Bear
Keith Larsson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson, Samorukov, Broberg

DDD
Smith

AAA we need to spend $5M on
BBB could be Holloway on an ELC or McLeod also on ELC
CCC we need to spend $3-4M on
DDD we need to spend $4-5M on

All of that is achievable... is that team a contender? It depends on who is added, and what your definition of contender is... but they'd certainly be in position to win a couple of rounds if they finally had a third line that could outperform at EV.

The D is only passable... a lot depends on Bouchard being ready and if we lose Larsson we'll be in dire straights.

Those triple alpha's you'll get via trade with Seattle.
Ghey will pick a lot of middle players.
Try to get Thierny, Wagner, Zucker retained, McCann, Kerfoot, Niederreiter or Järnkrok if Seattle deals them as a 3 liner option.

1st line is bit harder. Buyout Neal, rrade Koskinen back with a high draftpick - and Eat the whole salary kind of deal.

Thw best asswt today is to offer eating others cap

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So Holland seems to be good at re-signing players this off season (rnh and now larsson) but some one else needs to do the trading I think. Lol.

Or think about it this way... he saved up to $2M and then he turned around and spent it on Keith leadership (who's really only a $3.5M guy on-ice now).

I don't remember the last time a future HoF was traded to a young team like the Oilers, but it had to have been for more than Jones + 3rd. Keep in mind that regardless of what we think of Keith based on our view of the advanced stats, the reality is that Chicago still played him like their #1D. They didn't do that to appease his ego, so they still think he's their best D-man. We really have no idea what their original ask was and how far Holland got them to move (or not).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

by that metric, 99% of all trades and signings are busts.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m a Devils fan as well as a fan of Larsson . If the Oilers don’t sign him I hope the devils do. If anyone else signs him I’ll be pissed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It is not looking good:

Good old Matheson. Not sure what world he lives in that Russell can take over for Larsson.

Sure Russell can step up and play top 4 here and there, but we've seen it before when he gets too much playing time he falls apart. There is a reason the past 3 years Russell has been healthy scratched at times.

But yes Matty, Russell is giving Holland all the leverage in the world.

Reactions: ujju2

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009

I'm the same way .. Connor McDavid will never be the best player in the world to me until he can win a cup ..

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Oh, now Larsson is so scared he won't test the market and listen to what the other 31 teams have to offer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad