Rumor: Adam Larsson will likely sign 4 years, $3.9M AAV with the Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets are willing to pay him $4 million. That's an extra $100k he's throwing away. It must be nice to be rich.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
I think it was getting a little too obvious that Larsson has a handshake deal in place to resign after the expansion draft since they traded for Keith, so his agent pushed some info out to Seravalli to make it seem not so cut and dry. He's part of the leadership group and the guys respect him. It'd be hard to see him moving on, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Reactions: bucks_oil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Turns out paying a bunch of cap for Duncan Keith has drawbacks lmao

If Larsson goes, the Oilers D-core looks something like this;
  • Nurse - Barrie
  • Keith - Bear
  • Russell - Bouchard
That's, um....not great?

Aquiring Keith has nothing to do with it. Losing Klefbom does.

People love to make stuff up about the Keith trade

Reactions: LokiDog

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If true the Duncan Keith moves means absolutely 0 sense

Not true. The Oilers had a huge hole on our 2nd pair LD last year, Keith will fill that hole instead of relying on rookies to do it. After Nurse, we really didn't have any proven NHL LD aside from an aging Kris Russell, who is far better served as an injury fill in this season. Keith and Larsson would make for a solid 2nd pair actually.

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This close to free agency, other teams willing to negotiate with you? Why wouldn't he wait a week for free agency to start? He would be in demand!
That's probably exactly why he signed. I expect he wants to stay, but also wants to be able to go back to Edmonton and say, "yeah, but Vancouver offered my $5M for 5 years, can you do better?"

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You are right. Playing with McDavid and Draisaitl is unattractive. Go back in your hole troll.
Ooh, somebody's defensive...

Face it, Edmonton is not a desirable city to live in for any millionaire 20-something and those heroes you mentioned just shit the bed last playoffs, so it's not like the Oilers are offering up a spot on a contender. Not sure how you can possibly make the case for them being a "desirable" franchise.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

Face it, Edmonton is not a desirable city to live in for any millionaire 20-something and those heroes you mentioned just shit the bed last playoffs, so it's not like the Oilers are offering up a spot on a contender. Not sure how you can possibly make the case for them being a "desirable" franchise.

They do it through lots of mental gymnastics.

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think there will be teams that offer 4 x 5M.

If he circles back and is fine with 4 x 3.9M that's an excellent deal for the Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Well in this case he likes the city and likes his teammates.

I love how the offseason moves haven't even really started and people are already writing off teams as non-contenders. Let's see how roster's look in a few weeks.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Well in this case he likes the city and likes his teammates.

I love how the offseason moves haven't even really started and people are already writing off teams as non-contenders. Let's see how roster's look in a few weeks.
What moves can Edmonton make, over the next few weeks, that would solidify them as a contender? IMO, after what I saw these last playoffs, they are more than one move away.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is similar to markstrom last year. home team has an internal budget offer. a competing team in the division who can use that player is going to hint they will beat that offer ibecause it hurts a rival as well as helping them. home team is not willing to get into a hypothetical bidding war. at most they will match at the last second. home team has to count on player being happy where he is.

lots of circling ensues.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What moves can Edmonton make, over the next few weeks, that would solidify them as a contender? IMO, after what I saw these last playoffs, they are more than one move away.
They have space to make more than one move, unless they spend it all in one spot. Especially if they can move on from Neal and/or Koskinen - although the latter's savings would be to replace him. Getting a competent scoring third line would be the biggest area they could improve in. Last year the 3rd line was a 4th line and the 4th line was taxi squad/AHL caliber - something we are used to as Oiler fans, but we can't make the next step until we change that. If they don't blow their wad on a winger for McDavid (overpaid Hyman or Hall) and go for a competent scoring third line that would be the best place to start.

I think they are closer than "first round sweep" shows. Especially when you watched the games and realize that it was basically Hellebuck that won that series for Winnipeg.

Reactions: voxel

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
His agent would be doing a huge disservice not to get that 5th year. Leaving 500K (or more) AAV on the table is one thing, but after that 4th or 5th year, he’s going to be making half that when the contract is done on one or two year deals.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I live in Boston, so I'm not at all offended by comments about Edmonton as a city. I don't think that the city factors anywhere near as much in decisions players make as it is made out to be on HF. Sure guys don't necessarily want to move, and Edmonton is not a top UFA destination. That's not deniable,... but we're talking about a guy who already lives there and has a home and a life.

I do take exception to the Edmonton not a contender comment... this is a team that under-performed in the playoffs... meaning more was expected of them. The team finished 2nd in their divisions for the second straight season... nearly all of the "contenders" have had their share of early playoff exits to galvanize the team. Oilers are no different in that regard.

And yeah, any team with 2 of the top 5 players in the game can become a contender with a few depth moves. Holland has had two off seasons with less than $10M available in cap. This season he has over $20M.

This is still a team on an upward trajectory from where Chia left it (near the bottom). We've made the playoff consecutively since Holland/Tippett took over, which is the first time in 20 years. This happened despite our lack of depth and the loss of our #1D in Klefbom. It is obvious that McDrai alone are sufficient to be a strong regular season team. Nurse also just took a huge leap forward as a top-pairing D. Which is to say the hard pieces to acquire are already in place. Objectively, assuming Larsson is back, this team needs a #1LW, a #3LW, a #3C and a goalie. Those are pieces that can be acquired reasonably... far easier than teams lacking a #1 or #2C for example.

Nuge just took a pay cut to stay a part of this... Larsson is rumored to be doing the same. I'd say these players are buying into this team and into themselves.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

AAA McD Pulju
Nuge Drai Yama
BBB CCC Kassian
Shore Khaira/McLeod Archibald

Nurse Bear
Keith Larsson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson, Samorukov, Broberg

DDD
Smith

AAA we need to spend $5M on
BBB could be Holloway on an ELC or McLeod also on ELC
CCC we need to spend $3-4M on
DDD we need to spend $4-5M on

All of that is achievable... is that team a contender? It depends on who is added, and what your definition of contender is... but they'd certainly be in position to win a couple of rounds if they finally had a third line that could outperform at EV.

The D is only passable... a lot depends on Bouchard being ready and if we lose Larsson we'll be in dire straights.

Reactions: ytoil

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I was afraid that he would ask for 6 years. If he's ok with 4-year contract, I wouldn't mind if the Flyers slightly overpaid for him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's fair. Did you think the lightning were not a contender after they got swept by the jackets?
You mean the Presidents Trophy winning Lighting that had lost twice in the Conference Finals in previous years? The team that was stacked, had the best goalie and defenseman in the league and was widely considered the best team in the entire NHL despite being swept that year.
Yes, I absolutely thought that they were contenders. But how is that relevant to the Oilers?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

The simple fact that many NHL players do not like Edmonton does not mean Larsson does not like it too....
What majority likes means squat when talking about one single individual.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly, therenis a team out there that will offer him 4M x6 years ( which theyll use to get the cap down)

That seems to be the way of th in nges these days. At least until the cap sorts itself out

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If the Canucks can get him for 4yrx5, and flip Schmidt for assets, I think our D would be far better balanced than before.

Hughes-Larsson
UFA Defensive LHD- Myers
Rathbone-Hamonic
Juolevi

There is a rumor out there that his return to the Oilers isn't a given:

upload_2021-7-19_10-41-18.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad