Value of: Adam Larsson to The Toronto Maple Leafs (Atlantic Division)?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The big question is why in the world would the Oilers want to trade him. Makes no sense to trade him.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I never said he was a #1D pretty big difference between a #1 and a top pair which he obviously is

Hot take alert but Adam Larsson is not one of the 60 best defensemen in the NHL (top pair).... I could probably name a half dozen teams who have 3 or even 4 dmen better than Larsson

Reactions: Brock Radunske

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We got guys like Borgman Gardiner Hainsey and Zaitsev for free. We also drafted Rielly and Dermott.

I don't see the Leafs giving up much more than a mid round pick.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Hot take alert but Adam Larsson is not one of the 60 best defensemen in the NHL (top pair).... I could probably name a half dozen teams who have 3 or even 4 dmen better than Larsson

I’d love to hear this I can only think of one (Nashville josi and PK)

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Did you read Spec's article? Terrible PK and PP. Perhaps Toronto has someone who can help with those things.

Getting rid of Larsson will certainly not make the Oilers better defensively. Makes no sense to trade him and he wont be traded. Personally do not care what Mark Spector says that is for sure.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I’d love to hear this I can only think of one (Nashville josi and PK)
#3 on Columbus
#3 STL
#3 or #4 on Boston
#4 on Wash
Possibly 6 on Anaheim
#4 maybe #5 on Winnipeg

I'm just getting started and can go on if you wish

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't trade much. He's offensively inept which makes him a middle pairing defender and its not like he's Slavin or Lindholm who compensate by grading out extremely well in xGF% and CF% stats. Of the 125 defenders who have played at least 2500 minutes at 5v5 since the start of the 2015/16 season, he is 114th in primary points at 5v5, 94th in total points at 5v5, 115th in P/60, 120th in P1/60, 90th in CF%, 75th in Cf% REL, 67th in xGF%, and 47th in xGF% rel. I'm not going to bother using all-situations, as it would unfavorably skew numbers in favor of guys who play on the PP.

So, the only thing he really grades out as a top 60 defender in the league is xGF% rel. You are fine if you are planning on using him as a #3 in a shutdown role, but he simply can't provide enough offence to be a top-pairing defender.

I'd offer something around Kapanen or Brown and a late 1st, but nothing that will make up for the loss of trading Taylor Hall for him, which was insane then and is insane now. He's an upgrade on Zaitsev in PKing and a shutdown role, so I might consider that trade straight up.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think management would even consider a trade for Larsson. He's pretty much untouchable.

Oilers aren't going to trade him away just so they have to turn around and go searching for another RHD.

No offense, kind of a pointless thread.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Seeing how the Oilers traded Hall for Larsson, I don't see them accepting anything less than Nylander or Marner for Larsson. I even think they'd want an addition on top of those guys, too, seeing how they weren't as good as Hall was when he was traded.
They could ask.....they would be shot down though. Just because they made a stupid trade, they shouldn't expect another team to bail them out of it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd give up what would properly be categorized as "spare parts" for Larsson. He would be a welcome addition to the Leafs, but there ain't no way he fetches Marner or Nylander. More importantly, I don't think that trading Larsson away actually makes the Oilers any better at any point in the future. While trading for him in the first place is a huge part of their problem, he himself is a decent player and worth keeping.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Oilers are coming apart.

Larsson is still perceived as a good asset and one that got NJ Taylor Hall.

Who would TOR deal to land Larsson?

Spec wrote this about him recently:

"Larsson's steady game from last season has departed as well. The top pairing has been anything but effective this season, which would kill any team. It’s killed this one."

It's a little strong, but maybe the truth is somewhere between his comment and what Larsson really is.

The Oilers aren't coming apart IMO.
The surrounding depth overachieved last year and they traded away support scoring while guys like JP and Yamamoto haven't gained experience yet.
They need to improve the support pieces for the team and trading players like Klefbom/Larsson/JP/Nurse/etc. is not the way to start. They need to look for a scoring forward UFA and add speedy,200 foot depth to the team next year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Larsson is sadly the Oilers' Kessel. He will be compared to Hall for his Oilers career. The issue for Toronto is we have to big of a gap in our assets. Larsson is worth more than a group of pieces like Carrick+picks or our UFA guys like JVR/Bozak+, but i wouldn't trade a guy from our upper tier lkke Marner/Nylander let alone add to them.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
It's weird seeing how bad Oilers PP is when they have got Larsson. He used to be a beast for the Devils in the PK. Although Hall also used to be a bad PP producer there and is doing well on the men advantage for the Devils so I'd blame their coaching staff before trading any core player. They can't trade him, he and Klefbom aren't 100% this season with all their injuries. They need to keep calm and try to unload some of their crap (Letestu, Russell, Lucic I'd try to trade Maroon and then sign him as an FA but it's easier said than done). Dahlin, Larsson and Klefbom is a nice trio of Swedish dmen to build your defense around.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Larsson is a very good 2nd pairing dman who the leafs would love to have.
oilers would want nylander/marner to make up for foolishly trading hall, and the leafs arent doing that.

no deal to be made unless names like liljegren,kapanen,dermott and other picks/prospects are the centerpiece

Marlander stay in toronto until 2025 at least

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Oilers aren't coming apart IMO.
The surrounding depth overachieved last year and they traded away support scoring while guys like JP and Yamamoto haven't gained experience yet.
They need to improve the support pieces for the team and trading players like Klefbom/Larsson/JP/Nurse/etc. is not the way to start. They need to look for a scoring forward UFA and add speedy,200 foot depth to the team next year.

I get your point, but "coming apart" in pro sports to me is just what EDM are doing right now:

Not meeting expectations
On the verge of losing their coach
On the verge of losing their GM
Unable to tweak or correct their warts with trades, UFAs, etc.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
oilers would want nylander/marner to make up for foolishly trading hall, and the leafs arent doing that.

no deal to be made unless names like liljegren,kapanen,dermott and other picks/prospects are the centerpiece

I want to keep Liljgren and Dermott. It's time we develop our own young D into players.

Reactions: Cotton

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Would the Oilers consider Kapenan, Gardiner, and 2nd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad