Adam Larsson Thread Version: The Second One

Status
Not open for further replies.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
It isn't.

Deboer isn't good with personnel and developing players. Give him a talented, veteran, superstar-laden lineup and he can do something with it. Unfortunately, I think most coaches could say that too. Good riddance.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Deboer did nothing but hold Larsson back.

I don't think he just held him back. I think he actively derailed his development. I think he set him back several years and Lars had to re-develop just to get to the level he was at when he was drafted. That's how bad I think Deboer was for Larsson.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
DumBoer ****ing blew. Can't believe that sad sack was allowed to instill his loser attitude into this franchise, for aslong as he did.

Good freaking riddance.

Go Larsson!!!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Fyi. The continued talk about Pete is the reason there won't be a third Lars thread.

its directly connected though. he played a part in Larsson's struggles.

not sure why it has to be so tight around here. so what if there are a few posts about his former coach?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
its directly connected though. he played a part in Larsson's struggles.

not sure why it has to be so tight around here. so what if there are a few posts about his former coach?

Because it's beating a dead horse. There isn't anything to say about it. Pete is gone and Lars is playing a lot better.

Want to keep talking about Lars and his development that's fine but the constant talk about Pete is old.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it... or something like that. I hear you eddy, but if it's civil I don't see why it's not a valid discussion even if it has been discussed a lot. I rarely view this thread. I didn't know this had been talked about so much before. But I do think it's fair for me and others to give their opinion if it's respectful. I don't believe it's spam just because some might find it annoying.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it... or something like that. I hear you eddy, but if it's civil I don't see why it's not a valid discussion even if it has been discussed a lot. I rarely view this thread. I didn't know this had been talked about so much before. But I do think it's fair for me and others to give their opinion if it's respectful. I don't believe it's spam just because some might find it annoying.

All fair, but it would be different if people were actually bringing new or insightful discussions to the conversation.

It's in order after a game night:
-How did Larsson look?
-Comments about how he looked
-Discussion about the Pete/Larsson relationship
- Next game night arrives and concludes - wash, rinse, repeat

Shouldn't take me 10 seconds to write that up, know what I'm saying?

Those that were frustrated with Pete doing some of the same things night in and night out are fine with discussing the same thing night in and night out about Larsson which is amusing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly rather just make a young defense thread and talk about the whole unit and each kid indivudally.

It's more like wingman said. Ya the Pete influence is real but there has been nothing new to this discussion for weeks.

Pete is gone and we should start moving on. Just seems more prudent to discuss what Lars now means to our future and whether he can keep this kind of play up without Greene.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I am interested to see what they do when Severson comes back. Do you put Larsson with Gelinas and see if that pairing works again? Or try him with Merrill?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Honestly rather just make a young defense thread and talk about the whole unit and each kid indivudally.

It's more like wingman said. Ya the Pete influence is real but there has been nothing new to this discussion for weeks.

Pete is gone and we should start moving on. Just seems more prudent to discuss what Lars now means to our future and whether he can keep this kind of play up without Greene.

I'd love for that honestly

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I am interested to see what they do when Severson comes back. Do you put Larsson with Gelinas and see if that pairing works again? Or try him with Merrill?

Leave Larsson with Greene, put Severson with Merrill or Zidlicky. When Severson comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gelinas get benched and Harrold stay in.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Leave Larsson with Greene, put Severson with Merrill or Zidlicky. When Severson comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gelinas get benched and Harrold stay in.

Different positions.....

Merrill and Greene are LD. Severson, Zidlicky, and Larsson are RD. Merrill technically could play RD if needed, but the underlying stats show he's awful at it.

Either way, Merrill-Larsson or Merrill-Severson should make for a pretty good pairing. Gelinas-Zidlicky is a little iffy, if you ask me.

Hopefully, we add a UFA next year to play RD on that bottom pairing and be a shelter to Gelinas.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Different positions.....

Merrill and Greene are LD. Severson, Zidlicky, and Larsson are RD. Merrill technically could play RD if needed, but the underlying stats show he's awful at it.

Either way, Merrill-Larsson or Merrill-Severson should make for a pretty good pairing. Gelinas-Zidlicky is a little iffy, if you ask me.

Hopefully, we add a UFA next year to play RD on that bottom pairing and be a shelter to Gelinas.

I keep hearing about these stats. Does anyone have a source claiming this? Or is it just the eye-test?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
At first they should stick with what's not broken. Keep Larsson and Greene together, play Merrill with Severson. If the latter doesn't work out over a game or two then switch Severson and Larsson around. I think Larsson's play, while benefiting from Greene, has been spectacular in itself and he'll still perform great on a different pairing.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm far more concerned about Larsson playing big minutes right now than Severson. Whoever Larsson ends up with, I just want him to log minutes. If splitting him and Greene reduces his minutes, then I'm very much against it. I think it's becoming clear that he's a guy that thrives on playing time.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm far more concerned about Larsson playing big minutes right now than Severson. Whoever Larsson ends up with, I just want him to log minutes. If splitting him and Greene reduces his minutes, then I'm very much against it. I think it's becoming clear that he's a guy that thrives on playing time.

I know it's just looking at last game, but I'm too lazy to look further and I feel the numbers are relatively similar going back a bit. But Greene and Larsson played 26 and 27 minutes respectively, whereas the next highest defenseman logged 18 minutes. I want Larsson playing as much as possible, but the difference between 27 and 24 minutes is kinda negligible at that point. Spread the wealth out a bit, the first unit can play around 24 minutes a night, then Merrill and Severson maybe around 20 minutes each. I know it's a perfect situation and in-game it's different, but I feel a slight reduction in the first pairs units won't do much, if any, harm.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know it's just looking at last game, but I'm too lazy to look further and I feel the numbers are relatively similar going back a bit. But Greene and Larsson played 26 and 27 minutes respectively, whereas the next highest defenseman logged 18 minutes. I want Larsson playing as much as possible, but the difference between 27 and 24 minutes is kinda negligible at that point. Spread the wealth out a bit, the first unit can play around 24 minutes a night, then Merrill and Severson maybe around 20 minutes each. I know it's a perfect situation and in-game it's different, but I feel a slight reduction in the first pairs units won't do much, if any, harm.

I agree. My fear is moving Lars to a pairing with Merrill or Gelly and his minutes going from 25ish to 18 or less, then Severson getting the big minutes. Spreading it out is fine

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I agree. My fear is moving Lars to a pairing with Merrill or Gelly and his minutes going from 25ish to 18 or less, then Severson getting the big minutes. Spreading it out is fine

I think the dream is that Larsson has grown enough confidence and stepped his game up to a point that his play won't lose a beat if he leaves Greene. That would force the hydra to keep giving him minutes, even at a slightly reduced rate. He could also help Merrill's game a bit as Larsson plays a much safer game than Zidlicky. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and they move Larsson back with Greene.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the dream is that Larsson has grown enough confidence and stepped his game up to a point that his play won't lose a beat if he leaves Greene. That would force the hydra to keep giving him minutes, even at a slightly reduced rate. He could also help Merrill's game a bit as Larsson plays a much safer game than Zidlicky. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and they move Larsson back with Greene.

Larsson has already shown that he makes Merrill and Gelinas better. Gelinas played his best hockey with Larsson. I don't have any doubt that he can handle it, but Greene's pair is probably going to get the lion-share of the minutes, especially while Lou still believes the playoffs are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad