Adam Larsson Thread Version: The Second One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's pretty trivial to rank defensive performances from game to game. What's conclusive is Fraser is the worst defensemen on this team (Not including Sal) and Greene is the best.

How long have you been posting here? That's what we do all the time.:laugh:

Volchenkovs Face

Oct 10, 2010
Lou may or may not have received calls from 0-25 other teams within the past 3 years about Adam Larsson's availability.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The writer is completely making **** up....

The 72 year-old GM probably received more than a few calls from other teams about Larsson’s availability, but he held his ground and, more importantly, held onto Larsson.

Derek Neumeier primarily covers the Dallas Stars, but also other various topics related to the sport of hockey. A Journalism graduate of Mount Royal University, Derek also writes for Defending Big D, and has done previous work with the Edmonton Oilers as a communications intern and Hockey Canada as a freelance writer. You can follow him on Twitter at @Derek_N_NHL

no comment.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
His first pass is always superb. He's one of the big keys to our transition game going forward. He can send the puck up the ice from the defensive zone reliably like not many players we've seen on this team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
His first pass is always superb. He's one of the big keys to our transition game going forward. He can send the puck ice from the defensive zone reliably like not many players we've seen on this team.

His first pass really is a great asset. If we had forwards who could score more reliably, the Devils could make even better use of it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
His first pass is always superb. He's one of the big keys to our transition game going forward. He can send the puck up the ice from the defensive zone reliably like not many players we've seen on this team.

That's literally one the biggest assets of his they highlighted pre-draft, and I'm glad it's finally coming to fruition on a nightly basis. It's a defensive and offensive strength, to be able to clear the zone with a nice outlet pass, or to spring someone on a break like he did today.

It's only up from here for Larsson, I hope Lou locks him up to a good contract this summer. Ideally up until one season before he becomes a UFA

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd sign him to the Roman Josi contract right now.

Absolutely. Lock him in right now before anyone else catches on to how great he is.

I cannot be any more pleased with this player right now. Devouring minutes, producing offensively, resurrecting the PK from the league's basement....that's not to say he's the only reason these things are happening but let's remember he's 22 years old.

I can't wait until Severson comes back, the two of them are going to put the league on notice. What a great defensive core we have for the foreseeable future.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Greene also deserves some credit here. Fayne, Severson, and now Larsson have all played their best hockey with him. That can't be a coincidence.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
bump

what a stud.

screw you Pete.

3 points tonight.

Did he even have 3 points all season before Pete was fired?

It's almost like someone tried to stifle his offensive game. I even recall him saying as much. He started out being pretty decent at offensive in his rookie year, then it seemed to just go away even before the Subban hit.

It's still early to say and we need a bigger sample size, though if this continues, I think I might say he'll be the best of the bunch we have.

I think it very well may even up being him and then Severson.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think Greene also deserves some credit here. Fayne, Severson, and now Larsson have all played their best hockey with him. That can't be a coincidence.

We're lucky to have Greene too. He's very reliable defensively, and I think being paired with him also gives Larsson (and Severson) some confidence to experiment with the offensive side of things. Devils fans have been blessed with the chance to see a lot of solid defensemen. As a fan, I'm very grateful for them all.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Oh, no doubt about it. He's just a steady defenseman that gives the young guys confidence to play there game, knowing Greene is there to cover for them if need be. But Larsson has made big strides himself as a player. He's more physically imposing this season, more engaging on both sides of the ice. Even before Pete left he was great defensively, but after that he's been given the green light to play a little more offensive minded and it's paying off.

I don't know if his skating will ever improve to an elite level. His posture on the ice is very awkward and doesn't really allow for the smoothest of strides. But he makes up for that with great positioning, awareness, and stickwork that it really balances it out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Next time he gets burned by someone like Tavares or Ovechkin, I'm sure we'll hear about it for days. He was burned by someone pretty good a week or two ago, and a couple people talked about it for days. It didn't even lead to a goal or that serious of a scoring chance either.

I remember when my personal favorite Devils defenseman of all time (Henrik Tallinder) got burned every night, sometimes even by scrubs that no one's ever heard of before. I think I was the only one complaining. Maybe he was also everyone else's favorite Devils defenseman too?:laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Oh, no doubt about it. He's just a steady defenseman that gives the young guys confidence to play there game, knowing Greene is there to cover for them if need be. But Larsson has made big strides himself as a player. He's more physically imposing this season, more engaging on both sides of the ice. Even before Pete left he was great defensively, but after that he's been given the green light to play a little more offensive minded and it's paying off.

I don't know if his skating will ever improve to an elite level. His posture on the ice is very awkward and doesn't really allow for the smoothest of strides. But he makes up for that with great positioning, awareness, and stickwork that it really balances it out.

Adam's biggest weakness is definitely his skating, and that makes him vulnerable to being beaten wide at times, but, as you say, he's smart about using his other attributes (positioning and stick work) to make up for a lot of the complications that come from his skating not being elite. Hopefully, he can improve on his skating over time even if it never becomes elite.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'm loving our young defense so much. Can't wait for Severson to come back so we can all debate which of the two is better!

I also think Merrill looks MUCH better the last 5-10 games. Don't want to derail the Larsson thread with Merrill though.

Larsson with a career high 3 points tonight. I did give him a bit criticism on the first goal, but after watching the replay, even though the turnover was a bit careless, Gelinas still could have corralled the puck.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Adam's biggest weakness is definitely his skating, and that makes him vulnerable to being beaten wide at times, but, as you say, he's smart about using his other attributes (positioning and stick work) to make up for a lot of the complications that come from his skating not being elite. Hopefully, he can improve on his skating over time even if it never becomes elite.

One of Larsson's weakness's which isn't all too much is his backhand. I'd like for him to work on this as it would make him a much more dynamic player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->