Waived: Adam Henrique - should the Wings claim him?

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Yzerman is still saving every penny possible by leaving all the heavy contracts on the ice to save from using players with two way contracts, so there is no way he picks up a player like Henrique at this price. No way at all.

He is not gonna make any deals that costs more money this season unless 1) it gives him a very big chance of getting a young player for next years roster or 2) it gives him a veteran player he really trusts is worth the pay. And Henrique is not that player given his long contract.

I think Anaheim might have to retain up to 2/3 of his salary before Yzerman might be interested.

Now, I have no idea how far Anaheim will go to get rid of Henrique, but the idea of juggling Nielsen into this is absolutely appealing. Yzerman can easily retain the same 2/3 of this contract no questions asked if Anaheim picks up 2/3 of Henriques salary.

I wonder how long Henrique has actually been a problem in Anaheim. Did any teams have pro scouts there to check him out or is it a brand new situation. That might play a part here. I'm sure Yzerman would want to have a razor sharp image of why Henrique and Anaheim arrived here.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yzerman is still saving every penny possible by leaving all the heavy contracts on the ice to save from using players with two way contracts, so there is no way he picks up a player like Henrique at this price. No way at all.

He is not gonna make any deals that costs more money this season unless 1) it gives him a very big chance of getting a young player for next years roster or 2) it gives him a veteran player he really trusts is worth the pay. And Henrique is not that player given his long contract.

I think Anaheim might have to retain up to 2/3 of his salary before Yzerman might be interested.

Now, I have no idea how far Anaheim will go to get rid of Henrique, but the idea of juggling Nielsen into this is absolutely appealing. Yzerman can easily retain the same 2/3 of this contract no questions asked if Anaheim picks up 2/3 of Henriques salary.

I wonder how long Henrique has actually been a problem in Anaheim. Did any teams have pro scouts there to check him out or is it a brand new situation. That might play a part here. I'm sure Yzerman would want to have a razor sharp image of why Henrique and Anaheim arrived here.

i don’t believe you can save 2/3 of salary. Max 1/2 is what I thought

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
With the draft lotto there is so little difference between 2nd worst and fifth worst that I'm not sure there is the likely benefit there to make up for being that bad of a team for that many years. While I don't really see Henrique as the guy we should start spending on, I don't think it's a bad thing if the wings did pursue more talent that is going to be here for several years. They're going to be in the draft regardless, but I don't see being this bad and this far removed talent wise from every other team in the league is necessarily good for the franchise in the long term.

if the Wings had finished 2nd worst in 2017 instead of 6th worst they would have Pettersson instead of Rasmussen right now

draft position isn't just a binary thing where only 1st overall matters

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
2nd worst over all is a 13.5% chance at the first overall pick, 5th worst is an 8.5% chance. That’s an increase of 62%, so I wouldn’t say there is just a little difference.

It's 13 balls versus 8 balls out of 100. Or 14 vs 9, depending how you want to round it. Either way, I'm not letting five balls get in the way of making a move that improves this team and going forward. I still believe putting our young guys in an environment where losing isn't a foregone conclusion nearly every night is beneficial to them, and if that means bringing in even a pretty minor improvement in a player like Henrique...I don't really have a problem with it.

My biggest problem with Henrique is that if we were willing to blow nearly $6m per on a multi-year deal we probably could have gotten a lot more bang for our buck over the summer.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Very easy pass on Henrique. No team is claiming these types of contracts from waivers this season, much less Detroit. Makes no sense. I get the argument for adding a player like Henrique to fill a hole, but we can sign a Henrique-level player in the off-season to a much more palatable contract. Dude is on the decline and that contract is going to be as ugly as all the final Holland contracts that everyone rightfully complains about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad