Waived: Adam Henrique - should the Wings claim him?

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
No. Nearly 6 million for 4 years for a 30 year old guy that the Ducks of all teams decided to waive, and has 4 points on the season in 16 games makes no sense on a rebuilding team. The Wings aren't going to be playoff bound for at least another couple seasons, he would be another veteran clogging the system. I'd rather be a bottom 3 team, rather than bring in someone like this and maybe finish 4th or 5th worse instead if he happened to help create a bit more offense to win a couple more games this season. At this point, and watching this team the last two seasons, I can deal with another season or two (or more) of bottom tier hockey if it means they draft high and can bring in future talent.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Hmm this is kind of interesting. There is no guarantee what kind of a 2nd line C this team would be able to get next year in FA or via trade.

Maybe we could move Filpulla there and they could retain plus add a pick. Then you have Rasmussen and Veleno compete for the #3C next year.

I get that he is more expensive than Johnson, but his contract is also shorter and there is probably a reasonable case to be made that he is the better player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Who said late round pick? Henrique had 26 goals last year. If he finds his game and you retain 50%, that's a nice deal for a team going all in.
The only way a trade would make sense is if ANA retained salary. Something like:
Nielsen (no retention) for Henrique (1/3 retention) would make sense financially

But, I would just rather build through the draft, and I don't see Chris spending money on a "has been".

I don't see any takers at full salary.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No. He's 31 years old with 3 years left on his deal after this season. Maybe if he had 1 year left as he could be a good placeholder for us, but 3 years at 5+ mil is way to much/long for a placeholder.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No. Nearly 6 million for 4 years for a 30 year old guy that the Ducks of all teams decided to waive, and has 4 points on the season in 16 games makes no sense on a rebuilding team. The Wings aren't going to be playoff bound for at least another couple seasons, he would be another veteran clogging the system. I'd rather be a bottom 3 team, rather than bring in someone like this and maybe finish 4th or 5th worse instead if he happened to help create a bit more offense to win a couple more games this season. At this point, and watching this team the last two seasons, I can deal with another season or two (or more) of bottom tier hockey if it means they draft high and can bring in future talent.

With the draft lotto there is so little difference between 2nd worst and fifth worst that I'm not sure there is the likely benefit there to make up for being that bad of a team for that many years. While I don't really see Henrique as the guy we should start spending on, I don't think it's a bad thing if the wings did pursue more talent that is going to be here for several years. They're going to be in the draft regardless, but I don't see being this bad and this far removed talent wise from every other team in the league is necessarily good for the franchise in the long term.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The only way a trade would make sense is if ANA retained salary. Something like:
Nielsen (no retention) for Henrique (1/3 retention) would make sense financially

But, I would just rather build through the draft, and I don't see Chris spending money on a "has been".

I don't see any takers at full salary.
A has been? He was good last year. He scored 26 goals. He's had 16 bad games, on a team that is absolutely struggling to score. Like for reference, Anaheim has fewer goals scored than Detroit does. He has as many points as Zadina, in 4 games more. If Henrique is done at the age of 31 because he's playing this way, we're gonna have to admit some unpleasant things about our own team.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Risk isn't worth any potential reward.

upload_2021-2-20_18-48-16.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A has been? He was good last year. He's had 16 bad games, on a team that is absolutely struggling to score. Like for reference, Anaheim has fewer goals scored than Detroit does. He has as many points as Zadina, in 4 games more. If Henrique is done, we're gonna have to admit some unpleasant things about our own team.
He's 31 on the decline, we don't need another Nielsen.
Risk isn't worth any potential reward.

View attachment 398449
I love Jackson Hole.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ducks fans on the Trade Board have bad things to say about Henrique this season + contract/cap/Salary/age etc. I didn't even have to go to pg.2 to see my own thoughts confirmed by Ducks fans. Nope, No way, Just say no.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Getting an average player to improve this dumpster fire is still a negative. Him being average in 2 or 3 years at his cap hit when we want to be productive is the problem. Not his caphit this year.

well, we're still going to be bad in 2-3 years anyway. A guy like Henrique helps pull us up a bit, perhaps more importantly he would be a dependable, solid vet for the kids coming up to learn from while the Wings didn't get rag dolled on a semi-consistent basis.

Give Anaheim a 3rd, maybe get them to eat a million or so...and even then he maybe gets taken by Seattle in the expansion draft. I don't know. I'm tired of this team god awful when I don't think there is necessarily going to be the payoff for it to make worth while, so I'm pretty open to doing something to make this team better.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
well, we're still going to be bad in 2-3 years anyway. A guy like Henrique helps pull us up a bit, perhaps more importantly he would be a dependable, solid vet for the kids coming up to learn from while the Wings didn't get rag dolled on a semi-consistent basis.

Give Anaheim a 3rd, maybe get them to eat a million or so...and even then he maybe gets taken by Seattle in the expansion draft. I don't know. I'm tired of this team god awful when I don't think there is necessarily going to be the payoff for it to make worth while, so I'm pretty open to doing something to make this team better.
I'd rather wait until 2022 and get Barkov or Forsberg in free agency. Mantha got into a fight with Barkov today, so that's gotta happen now, right?

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd rather wait until 2022 and get Barkov or Forsberg in free agency. Mantha got into a fight with Barkov today, so that's gotta happen now, right?

I'd like to see us go shopping before that, but yeah. For 22/23 the Wings have all of like $14m on the books. They have a few guys to re-sign before then (Bert, Zadina, Hronek) but a whole lot of stuff that we'll probably just let walk and (ideally) replace from within. Even if we added Henrique straight up the reality is that his contract is pretty unlikely to hurt us in pursuing anyone else while his contract is still on the books.

I'm hoping something shakes loose with the expansion draft and maybe Yzerman can grab someone another team doesn't want to lose.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd like to see us go shopping before that, but yeah. For 22/23 the Wings have all of like $14m on the books. They have a few guys to re-sign before then (Bert, Zadina, Hronek) but a whole lot of stuff that we'll probably just let walk and (ideally) replace from within. Even if we added Henrique straight up the reality is that his contract is pretty unlikely to hurt us in pursuing anyone else while his contract is still on the books.

I'm hoping something shakes loose with the expansion draft and maybe Yzerman can grab someone another team doesn't want to lose.
Chris is cheap, so the team might not max out the cap. If the team is going to spend money, I'd rather have them do it on a legit top line center and not someone like Henrique. $5.8M for Henrique means Chris will spend $5.8M less somewhere else...

For a team with a cheap owner, the only way to be competitive is to maximize value for the dollar. This does not fit the bill.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'd rather Chris take 5 million of that and donate to the homeless, then use the other $800.000 to buy a real nice goal horn. Maybe a new goal horn will give them incentive to score more goals.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
With the draft lotto there is so little difference between 2nd worst and fifth worst that I'm not sure there is the likely benefit there to make up for being that bad of a team for that many years. While I don't really see Henrique as the guy we should start spending on, I don't think it's a bad thing if the wings did pursue more talent that is going to be here for several years. They're going to be in the draft regardless, but I don't see being this bad and this far removed talent wise from every other team in the league is necessarily good for the franchise in the long term.

2nd worst over all is a 13.5% chance at the first overall pick, 5th worst is an 8.5% chance. That’s an increase of 62%, so I wouldn’t say there is just a little difference.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's an interesting idea.
Let's ignore a bad start this year (which is an admittedly dangerous thing to do.)
Last year he went 26-17-43 -3 with a bad Anaheim team.
21-13 at ES. Only played 17 minutes.
So those are legit second line minutes I think.

Let's compare Larkin at 5 on 5 to Henrique last year.
Larkin 1137 minutes 12-22-34
vs
Henrique 918 minutes 18-13-31

Henrique has had a positive CF the last two years... but before that he had six straight years under 50.
It does look like they've sheltered him a bit this year.
He really doesn't PK anymore.
He has turned into a solid Faceoff guy in the last few years.

Henrique, before this year, was a legit, solid 2C.
Over 7 years he averaged 23-22=45, which is right in line with what he's done in Anaheim.

But he's 31. Coming off a long layoff.
Age + layoff can do bad things to people. So it's hard to ignore the downturn this year.

The other thing is... given what Larkin is/isn't, we really need a center who can feed our wingers.
Henrique ain't that.
If Henrique was a 10-33-43 C instead of a 26-17-43 C, I'd probably be more intrigued.

So, for me, this is a fairly easy pass.
Again - like I said with DeAngelo, I might consider the idea of trading for him with the idea of trading him.
If you can get him back at 25-20-45 pace at 55% faceoffs, maybe you can trade him. But given the way GMs are avoiding salaries, that seems unlikely.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
if his deal was literally 1 season shorter, I would be extremely tempted, but it will turn ugly pretty quick IMO

Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad