Waived: Adam Henrique - should the Wings claim him?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Henrique seems like a player that would make the Wings better. He is versatile and his contract is not bad. $5,825,000 until 2024-2025. I feel like he's better than both Neilsen and Filppula and we'll likely need to replace them next season.

Reactions: MBH

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nope. If the Wings were thinking of anything like this we would have picked up Tyler Johnson. I feel like Yzerman has probably decided with the Staal move that if we are going to take out big cap hits that he wants compensation. Henrique no doubt is an improvement but no way Yzerman offers him that contract if he was a free agent and its July 1st.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
His advanced numbers are good and he was a .5 PPG the last two seasons. That contract is a nuisance, but it wouldn’t be a handicap. Plus, I feel like this is a guy Veleno could learn a ton from.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Henrique and a 2nd for Nielsen and I think about it. Similar cap hits but Henrique is a lot longer term so that’s where the 2nd round pick comes in. Even that I’m not sure I do it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Is his contract *that* bad?

How much cheaper should we expect a 2C to be?

Obviously he has fallen from grace. I mean if he is really playing up to expectations would he be on waivers?

On the other hand if he improves our Center depth we have to consider it. I’d be willing to offer Nielsen/Filpulla straight up. Anaheim frees up a roster spot and cap in the next year or two.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
If he had one less year on his contract I'd say it would be a no brainer. Anaheim probably wouldnt chip in a draft pick to move him either. Shame we could really use him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He'd make the team better. At the same time, picking him up doesn't make sense with what the Wings decided to do this year. Aside from playing the kids, I'm to the point of just riding this year out, letting salary come off the books, and maybe Yzerman will pry Ilitch's fingers off his wallet next offseason.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
His advanced numbers are good and he was a .5 PPG the last two seasons. That contract is a nuisance, but it wouldn’t be a handicap. Plus, I feel like this is a guy Veleno could learn a ton from.

If we didn’t want Tyler Johnson off waivers, we shouldn’t want Adam Henrique

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If they think he'll do a lot better with a fresh start, it could be a smart move. You could be able to trade him at the deadline if you retain. Something out of nothing.

It could also give you a scoring line capable replacement for a certain underperforming star winger, should you decide to make a trade.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
$5.825 Salary = Yuck x2
Cap Hit = Yuck x2
3+ more seasons @ Yuck$ x3

Declining production = Yuck
31 = Yuck
Aging = yuck

Horrid start w/lottery team = yuck (but kinda understandable too) w/4pts, -8, 16gp

In Danger of production falling off cliff (already is) = Red Alert Yuck

Insulates C depth & "possible trade chip" (nobody is trading for Adam w/o 50% retention). Ok & yet another Yuck x 3.

TOTAL:
Long term Optics = Yuck x 16

I don't give a F**k, that's a lot of Yucks.

P.S. we'll already have a logjam @ F in '21-'22, like we do now. JV/Berggren + Ras/Smith/Hirose/Svech, maybe Pearson?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
If they think he'll do a lot better with a fresh start, it could be a smart move. You could be able to trade him at the deadline if you retain. Something out of nothing.

It could also give you a scoring line capable replacement for a certain underperforming star winger, should you decide to make a trade.

that’s an awfully big contract to be okay with getting a late round pick if you retain 50%.

Too much money for too much term for not good enough of a hockey player. Simple

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
He'd make the team better. At the same time, picking him up doesn't make sense with what the Wings decided to do this year. Aside from playing the kids, I'm to the point of just riding this year out, letting salary come off the books, and maybe Yzerman will pry Ilitch's fingers off his wallet next offseason.

Naw, if you were going to pick up a guy like this, you pick up Tyler Johnson when he was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad