Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Hobey Baker winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Like I said I could be wrong, but I think it comes down to if he signed with us this year it is a 3 year ELC, if he signs next year, it only needs to be two, plus he can burn a year.

I see. My mistake. I mistook what you are saying.

You are only correct in a situation where Gaudette stays another year in college, signs, and burns a year of his ELC. Don't think this has ever happened.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Sikura's such a dynamic player. Really fun to watch. Hope you guys can get him signed too. Don't you guys also have his brother Tyler down in Rockford?

Yep we signed his older brother Tyler to play in Rockford, with what was at the time looked at as a purely cheesy move to tug at Dylan's heartstrings to get him to sign with the Hawks, but Tyler has actually been pretty good with 16 goals, which is 2nd on the Rockford team. There's also speculation the Hawks are keeping their last AHL call up option open so they can bring Tyler up to play in the same game with Dylan if he signs.

Reactions: Puck Ingrate

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Like I said I could be wrong, but I think it comes down to if he signed with us this year it is a 3 year ELC, if he signs next year, it only needs to be two, plus he can burn a year.

The way I understand it - a college senior (or a college player that meets some other requirement, like Gaudette) is limited to a 2-year ELC with a set contract - the only variables being performance bonuses. If Gaudette signs with Vancouver and plays at least one game this season it essentially knocks one year off his contract which means he will get to his first RFA contract after the 2019/20 season. If Gaudette waits until August 15th and signs with another team, then he is still bound be the 2-year ELC rule and he won't reach his first RFA contract until after the 2020/21 season.

Reactions: racerjoe

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The way I understand it - a college senior (or a college player that meets some other requirement, like Gaudette) is limited to a 2-year ELC with a set contract - the only variables being performance bonuses. If Gaudette signs with Vancouver and plays at least one game this season it essentially knocks one year off his contract which means he will get to his first RFA contract after the 2019/20 season. If Gaudette waits until August 15th and signs with another team, then he is still bound be the 2-year ELC rule and he won't reach his first RFA contract until after the 2020/21 season.

Sorry, has nobody challenged this yet?

Are we saying that Gaudette could sign elsewhere THIS Aug 15? I don't believe so. Would he not have to go back to school and play another year and then look to become a free agent NEXT Aug (2019)?

Maybe I have just taken the bait, but I don't believe he is eligible this year, if that is what you are implying here. He is in a different position to Sikura (who is a very nice prospect, by the way)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sorry, has nobody challenged this yet?

Are we saying that Gaudette could sign elsewhere THIS Aug 15? I don't believe so. Would he not have to go back to school and play another year and then look to become a free agent NEXT Aug (2019)?

Maybe I have just taken the bait, but I don't believe he is eligible this year, if that is what you are implying here. He is in a different position to Sikura (who is a very nice prospect, by the way)

No we were talking about his senior year.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
No we were talking about his senior year.

EbonyRaptor Said "Hawk fan here in basically the same boat as you Canuck fans because just like you guys have Gaudette poised to either sign with you or go the free agent route in August - we're in the same situation with his line mate Dylan Sakura."

Then he followed up with :"If Gaudette waits until August 15th and signs with another team..."

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it appears like he thinks he is a free agent this Aug 15?? Why does he think this or can you show me how I am reading this wrong?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
EbonyRaptor Said "Hawk fan here in basically the same boat as you Canuck fans because just like you guys have Gaudette poised to either sign with you or go the free agent route in August - we're in the same situation with his line mate Dylan Sakura."

Then he followed up with :"If Gaudette waits until August 15th and signs with another team..."

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it appears like he thinks he is a free agent this Aug 15?? Why does he think this or can you show me how I am reading this wrong?

I apologize if I've got that wrong. I read somewhere there is a college junior that is eligible to go UFA after August 15th this year for some strange circumstance that I don't recall and I though it was Gaudette ... but maybe it was another college junior. Sorry for the misinformation - it wasn't intentional. Hope for your sake it's not true ... unfortunately for us Hawk fans it is a real possibility Sikura does the Aug-15 UFA thing. Nerve wracking.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I apologize if I've got that wrong. I read somewhere there is a college junior that is eligible to go UFA after August 15th this year for some strange circumstance that I don't recall and I though it was Gaudette ... but maybe it was another college junior. Sorry for the misinformation - it wasn't intentional. Hope for your sake it's not true ... unfortunately for us Hawk fans it is a real possibility Sikura does the Aug-15 UFA thing. Nerve wracking.

Completely nerve wracking!! I think Sikura signs with you guys (for no reason other than everybody has in the past- for you guys:)), and I like what your management did for his brother. Good move.

However, if he doesn't sign there, he would be welcome here:)

Nobody I have seen has ever implied that Gaudette was in a situation to sign elsewhere early (i.e. this year), and it would be significant news and concern if this was strangely found to be the case. There would be meltdown on HF Boards Vancouver if a new timeline for him came to light... But Canucks luck and all, it would actually be what we seem to get and deserve:)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Completely nerve wracking!! I think Sikura signs with you guys (for no reason other than everybody has in the past- for you guys:)), and I like what your management did for his brother. Good move.

However, if he doesn't sign there, he would be welcome here:)

Nobody I have seen has ever implied that Gaudette was in a situation to sign elsewhere early (i.e. this year), and it would be significant news and concern if this was strangely found to be the case. There would be meltdown on HF Boards Vancouver if a new timeline for him came to light... But Canucks luck and all, it would actually be what we seem to get and deserve:)
Gaudette will officially be a Canuck within a few weeks. GUARANTEED

And with some hope and luck Sikura will too in a few months :)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Using Vollman's latest translation factors, Gaudette would be a 50+ point NHLer...
I sure hope he's right.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Quoting my post to add that I went back and found the drafted college junior that could opt to turn UFA on August 15th - it is Ryan Donato of Harvard who is a Boston draftee. The article I read doesn't describe the circumstance that allows Donato to turn free agent after only his junior year - only that he can.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Quoting my post to add that I went back and found the drafted college junior that could opt to turn UFA on August 15th - it is Ryan Donato of Harvard who is a Boston draftee. The article I read doesn't describe the circumstance that allows Donato to turn free agent after only his junior year - only that he can.

The guy you're thinking of is Wolanin. Dman drafted by Ottawa. The reason he can go ufa after 3 years of college is because he was drafted in 3rd year of eligibility (passed over twice). Who knew ? Not a situ that's going to come up often that's for sure.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Gaudette will officially be a Canuck within a few weeks. GUARANTEED

And with some hope and luck Sikura will too in a few months :)

Gee, and like many of your posts ... let me guess this "guarantee" is backed up by squat. .... sigh ... kids ... like his enthusiasm but oh my god it would be nice if he didn't emulate Trump in how much he thinks before he posts.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gee, and like many of your posts ... let me guess this "guarantee" is backed up by squat. .... sigh ... kids ... like his enthusiasm but oh my god it would be nice if he didn't emulate Trump in how much he thinks before he posts.
Guarantee is based on FACTS that he WANTS to play for the team that drafted him. FACT. So take your squat back to the gym Billy

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryampled and LaVar

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Trumps a good guy for the most part bub. Guarantee is based on FACTS that he WANTS to play for the team that drafted him. FACT. So take your squat back to the gym Billy

Just sad. Trump is not a "good guy". We put our house in the US up for sale the day after he got elected. In the end the move to Canada cost us about $100K ... which we do not regret. your using "facts" is admirable ... but that is not a guarantee. You put up nothing to back your guarantee, and you have no integrity to back it up. so, little man ... or should i say boy ... go squat yourself.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Trumps a good guy for the most part bub. Guarantee is based on FACTS that he WANTS to play for the team that drafted him. FACT. So take your squat back to the gym Billy

Of all the egregious wordvom you spout, this takes the cake. You should be ashamed.

And this is after I have occasionally seen a post of yours that makes a slight bit of sense.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

racerjoe's scenario is possible but has never happened. It involves Gaudette staying in college for another year, signing with the Canucks (mandated 2 year ELC), and playing at least a game during the 2018-2019 season to "burn" the first year. So in that scenario yes he would be closer to RFA in that scenario.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Hi all. Really enjoyed checking in on this thread throughout the year, it's good to have some new NU fans (even if it's just for this season)!

For those who are concerned about Gaudette not signing with Vancouver...don't be. He will sign after this year. Additionally, the further NU goes this season, the less he has to prove at this level. So I'd advise against wishing for an NU loss in the NCAA tournament. He wants to win with the college that wanted him. He'll want to do the same with the team that drafted him.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hi all. Really enjoyed checking in on this thread throughout the year, it's good to have some new NU fans (even if it's just for this season)!

For those who are concerned about Gaudette not signing with Vancouver...don't be. He will sign after this year. Additionally, the further NU goes this season, the less he has to prove at this level. So I'd advise against wishing for an NU loss in the NCAA tournament. He wants to win with the college that wanted him. He'll want to do the same with the team that drafted him.

Thanks for the post, a lot of Canuck fans are short sighted, we want to have all our prospects play when and where we want them to, it’s unfortunate and unfair that some players get chastised for wanting to go a certain route, but it’s clearly been the best choice for Gaudette to play where he has. The only issue with this, and it is entirely on our media’s end, is the lack of exposure our prospects get, even Boeser had limited coverage until he laced them up

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

The mind numbing quality of the Trump comment really overshadows one of the greatest things I have ever read m2b write, “So take your squat back to the gym Billy.”

This is an instant classic comeback shutdown like that I feel would come out of the mouth of White Goodman.

Some people live and breath hard work to achieve greatness and some stumble into it.

Bravo sir, bravo.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Thanks, that is helpful. Really hope they win this year, and really excited to see Gaudette play for the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad