Confirmed with Link: Adam Fox wins the Norris Trophy

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
It’s not often that a player wins a Norris Trophy and you can expect that level of play for the next six or seven seasons. :laugh:

On the flip side, its also odd that you have a 23 year old defensemen and project no growth. Sure, you can't get much better than "norris level", but at 23 is this also really his best?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
On the flip side, its also odd that you have a 23 year old defensemen and project no growth. Sure, you can't get much better than "norris level", but at 23 is this also really his best?
I mean, it might be.

Development isn't linear. He could still get better but I also don't think he's gonna win the Norris every year.

It's very possible that he's most consistent from 27-30 but 23 was his peak. A lot of guys are like that.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and romba

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Well like you said, you can’t get much better than Norris-level.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The top players who peak at 23 tend to be those that have been in the league since they were 18-19. Guys like Lemieux, Gretz, Crosby, Ovechkin.

Guys who take longer to make the league, like Brett Hull, Nickolas Lidstrom, peak in their mid to late 20s.

Fox just finished his second year, so there is remaining growth and development there. I expect guys like Lafreniere and Kakko to know who they are by 23 tho.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Summer 2019 - We were talking about how he compares to Neal Pionk

Summer 2020 - We were talking about how he compares to Ryan McDonagh

Summer 2021 - We're talking about how he compares to Brian Leetch
Don't stop there.

He's the next coming of Bobby Orr.

Knees probably included.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Lol, this is such a classic awful hockey advanced stats chart. Includes a bunch of years before Fox even entered the league for no reason, doesn’t label the line for his two years in the league (which is difficult to even spot on its own) and comes complete with a “fun” comment at the top.

Would be great if the “data analysts” covering hockey actually learned a thing or two about data visualization!

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Lol, this is such a classic awful hockey advanced stats chart. Includes a bunch of years before Fox even entered the league for no reason, doesn’t label the line for his two years in the league (which is difficult to even spot on its own) and comes complete with a “fun” comment at the top.

Would be great if the “data analysts” covering hockey actually learned a thing or two about data visualization!
Is it that hard to read a line graph?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can read it - doesn’t change the fact that it’s an awful chart and it doesn’t actually tell us what percentile of WAR Fox is in, despite it having literally two data points.

I think it's partly presented that way as a bit of a joke to over emphasize just how successful he's been in his first two seasons

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
100th percentile

This is impossible. Fox is borderline a god but he can’t be higher than himself!

I also find it difficult to believe that, as a rookie, Fox had a higher WAR than Connor McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, etc.

Sorry if I’m coming off as dense lol. I can understand that Fox is a superb defenseman. But the chart, as it’s currently set up, is no better than me making a post saying “Fox is amazing”. Aka it’s useless.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
This is impossible. Fox is borderline a god but he can’t be higher than himself!

I also find it difficult to believe that, as a rookie, Fox had a higher WAR than Connor McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, etc.

Sorry if I’m coming off as dense lol. I can understand that Fox is a superb defenseman. But the chart, as it’s currently set up, is no better than me making a post saying “Fox is amazing”. Aka it’s useless.
I think you're interpreting a light joking post a bit too deep

Reactions: Laffy Taffy

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
A lot of guys don’t have galaxy brains.
Right. I mean, it's not like Fox has super human speed and skating or a 200 MPH shot.

Fox is so damn good at what he does because he thinks the game better than anyone around right now.

Unless he gets hit with early onset dementia, I think he's going to be good to go for a while.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Right. I mean, it's not like Fox has super human speed and skating or a 200 MPH shot.

Fox is so damn good at what he does because he thinks the game better than anyone around right now.

Unless he gets hit with early onset dementia, I think he's going to be good to go for a while.

To me, this is the reason why I’d be confident in the Rangers locking him up for the maximum possible contract length. Haven’t really felt that about any other player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad